'20 FL SF Corey Walker (Committed 3/3/2019)

We have always had the potential to be a huge program being top 10 in attendance every year and having awesome facilities. Its amazing seeing it happen. When I was in school during the Buzz days I always used to wonder what Thompson Boling would be like if we were good. Not to many places in the country that are better now.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I think I am most happy that these recruits didn't see as much blue as they would have in the past.
Big Orange crowd turning out was tremendous.

Reactions: hep and BreatheUT
Wow...I was literally just playing around with the class calculator on 247 and it went from being blank on the 2020 class to having him there after a refresh...I came here immediately to see if it was true...big time boom!!!

Reactions: Volfanatic_20
It was a big win over the weekend for Rick Barnes and Tennessee, knocking off Kentucky. It was also big in that the weekend also produced immediate results with one of a handful of high-level prospects who were on campus to see it. Sunday afternoon, top 30 junior wing Corey Walker Jr. committed to the Vols. Walker Jr., is part of the ongoing evolution of Vols recruitment. Their current team is built on the strength of guys who were relatively unheralded in high school like Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield and Jordan Bone and as talented as they are, they have set a culture and expectation of how to compete in Knoxville. Also, their success is allowing the Vols to go out and land higher level prospects who are going to be good fits.
A major part of why Josiah James picked Tennessee was his fit there. The five-star senior thought the playing style suited him, but the locker room, the day to day and all of that matched up to his personality. Walker Jr. fits that mold as well. He's not a show boater or attention seeker and plays a very mature and versatile game. He's got strength, he is skilled and he's able to get his without being selfish. He's the type of guy that you want on your team and he's the type of kid that other high level talents will want to play with.
Look, I don't think we are going to see Barnes go all Coach K or Coach Cal and start looking to sign as many five-stars as possible. Don't get me wrong he will take talent, but his best teams at Texas were a blend of system guys that he developed and upper-tier talents. That's what he's got going at Tennessee now and that's how he is recruiting. Certainly, things are looking up and with Walker in the fold a year after landing James, they are flexing some recruiting muscle. I'm expecting that they'll add more high-end talent to go with Walker before they are done with 2020.
-Rivals

The Tipoff Classic is beginning to cement its standing as one of the best non-shoe sponsored events of the travel ball season. After a tremendous four-game session on Friday evening, we take a look at the 10 things we learned in Atlanta. Corey Walker is a complete throwback. Who uses the backboard anymore? Walker does but besides his angle playing abilities from 15-feet and in, what was even more impressive was his point-forward capabilities in Atlanta. Already committed to Tennessee, Walker might be the king on the chess board for Rick Barnes. His skillset should transition seamlessly to UT and with it, become a household name within the sport immediately upon his enrollment.
-Rivals

Posted this in the recruiting thread. Forgot We had a thread for Walker.

Good post. Walker really has a complete game. A good (not amazing athlete) who appears to be able to do anything offensively. He can handle, drive, decent shooter from the perimeter, mid-range, and create shots around the basket. Will naturally play SF but could play some small ball PF, with added muscle. His game is fundamentally sound and gets to his spots at the HS level whenever he wants. Guy just knows how to play. Going to contribute from day 1.

Good post. Walker really has a complete game. A good (not amazing athlete) who appears to be able to do anything offensively. He can handle, drive, decent shooter from the perimeter, mid-range, and create shots around the basket. Will naturally play SF but could play some small ball PF, with added muscle. His game is fundamentally sound and gets to his spots at the HS level whenever he wants. Guy just knows how to play. Going to contribute from day 1.
I've said it before, but reminds me a lot of Tyler Smith in terms of his skill set. This report would seem to reflect affirm that comparison.

Along with a physically trained up Drew Pember, that’s a lot of length and flexibility in the rotation. Great move by Fulmer keeping the architect in the fold!

Seems like Barnes is really like the 6’5-6’7 forward that can play inside and pass

So what I'm getting from all these articles is that Walker is an old school, smart, unselfish and plays defense. Sounds like the perfect kid for a Barnes coached team. Oh yeah, he is also a 5 star, top 30 recruit in the nation. Now, we just need to lock down Jalen Cone for '19 and I predict, at least 4 consecutive Sweet 16's, at the very least

Reactions: InVOLuntary
So what I'm getting from all these articles is that Walker is an old school, smart, unselfish and plays defense. Sounds like the perfect kid for a Barnes coached team. Oh yeah, he is also a 5 star, top 30 recruit in the nation. Now, we just need to lock down Jalen Cone for '19 and I predict, at least 4 consecutive Sweet 16's, at the very least

The future is looking good. I hope your S16 prediction comes true.........it will become much earlier to accomplish if Tennessee has really good regular seasons.......and some think the regular season means nothing. If nothing else a good one puts you in s better position come tourney time.

Reactions: Big time vol
The future is looking good. I hope your S16 prediction comes true.........it will become much earlier to accomplish if Tennessee has really good regular seasons.......and some think the regular season means nothing. If nothing else a good one puts you in s better position come tourney time.
I think Grant comes back, especially if more mock drafts drop him closer to lare 1st round, early 2nd round. I would think if Grant was not at least 60% lock for the 1st round, he comes back. I think Grant enjoys college and that comes with and could pull a Cassius Winston or even a Peyton Manning, imo. 99% Bone is gone (risky, imo) and landed Cone, this year would be huge. I really think we need a Walker Kessler or another big-time big man in '20, as long as UT gets Cone this year or even next. I, also like UT's chances with Keon. I could see two 5 stars and one 4 star in '20

I think Grant comes back, especially if more mock drafts drop him closer to lare 1st round, early 2nd round. I would think if Grant was not at least 60% lock for the 1st round, he comes back. I think Grant enjoys college and that comes with and could pull a Cassius Winston or even a Peyton Manning, imo. 99% Bone is gone (risky, imo) and landed Cone, this year would be huge. I really think we need a Walker Kessler or another big-time big man in '20, as long as UT gets Cone this year or even next. I, also like UT's chances with Keon. I could see two 5 stars and one 4 star in '20

Tennessee certainly needs a good big man for 2020; however based on what I have read recently I would not expect Kessler to come to Tennessee (prob UNC maybe Duke less likely but possibly GA). For “big men” I suspect Tennessee will concentrate on Hall and Ajogbor.

VN Store

Back