2 years....

Jpcisco

Seeing all the Pruitt post and the absolute dumpster fire we were 2 years ago makes me really appreciate the complete 180 this program has done under Huepel. 247 put out a preseason All-SEC coaching staff with Huepel as first team OC. The write-up list his accomplishments since being here and it's absolutely incredible what this man has done on such a short amount of time. I will post it below but 2 things really stand out. 7 top 25 wins. We were thrilled with one or two a year under previous staffs. 3rd nationally in the last 2 years. 23 single season records broke in 2 years. Not going to ramble anymore but glad we "settled" for Huepel when things were going down. This is going to be a fun ride...

"Josh Heupel has led Tennessee back to the national scene after winning 11 games in 2022.
Heupel enters his third season as an SEC head coach this fall, and ranks No. 9 among CRI's best head coaches thanks to the quick rebuild in Knoxville and his incredible run in three seasons leading UCF from 2018-20. He makes the All-SEC team as the offensive coordinator with a rating of 85.02, which is higher than his grade as a head coach (81.12).
Heupel's high-octane offense has led to three 10-win seasons in five years as a head coach. He's 46-16 overall and is the eighth-winningest among coaches since 2018. Tennessee has won seven games against top 25 teams under Heupel, which ranks No. 3 nationally over the last two seasons. He was the SEC coach of the year and a finalist for two national coach of the year awards in 2022. No one will forget the incredible scene when the Vols upset Alabama in Knoxville.
The Vols have broken 23 single-season records with the help of Heupel's up-tempo offense, which also pushed quarterback Hendon Hooker to SEC Offensive Player of the Year honors after finishing second nationally in passing efficiency (175.51). Heupel has done all of this at a program that ranked 108th nationally in scoring before his arrival."

Without a doubt heupel has been a gift to our program. The turnaround has been dramatic to say the least. Now comes arguably the hardest part of all - sustained success. This is where we find out if we truly have a great coach over a good one. Here’s an apples to crab apples cautionary note.
Look at Paul Chryst’s record at UW. I was living in Madison during this time and had posted on this forum in the 2000s saying we needed to hire this guy before UW got rid of “Bert” Beilema (UWs Fulmer). Well Chryst got the job when Gary Anderson (UWs Kiffen) abruptly quit as HC in 2014. Admittedly, the UW program was nowhere near the debacle that Heupel took on.
So Chryst comes on and (see attached) his record was exemplary. He beat OSU and Michigan (routinely) and his teams finished in the Top 10 for five straight seasons. However then his record dropped off. The most frequent reason given for this was “great Xs and Os, mediocre jimmys and joes”. On the surface, I see lots of similarities between the two men and their career paths. This is not to say I expect the same results over time or that “Heupel can’t recruit!”. Just saying let’s hope Heupel’s success can grow steadily and he can manage the ship now that it is sailing with favorable winds.

Attachments

• IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Jpcisco
This (last year) has been such an anomaly that I wonder if it can sustain. However, what we are seeing is so similar to what Oregon did, especially offensively, that we may have one heck of a run. To think, Oregon is in the middle of nowhere and nothing but trees. They had an awesome offensive attack that maintained for years.

However, what will CJH do if or when defenses are able to counter the fast pace? Have to admit, our players are not yet what other SEC schools are talent wise across the board and, we are not that deep, as of yet. UF was down last year and, had we caught LSU at the end of the season, I’m not sure of the same outcome. Such is college football, however.

This (last year) has been such an anomaly that I wonder if it can sustain. However, what we are seeing is so similar to what Oregon did, especially offensively, that we may have one heck of a run. To think, Oregon is in the middle of nowhere and nothing but trees. They had an awesome offensive attack that maintained for years.

However, what will CJH do if or when defenses are able to counter the fast pace? Have to admit, our players are not yet what other SEC schools are talent wise across the board and, we are not that deep, as of yet. UF was down last year and, had we caught LSU at the end of the season, I’m not sure of the same outcome. Such is college football, however.

One thing that really stood out to me last year that showed me Huepel can modify his approach was his four minute offense. Year 1 it was all gas, no brakes regardless of the score. It hurt Tennessee at times. Quick 3 and outs are an easy way to let another team back in it. Last year Huepel would slow the game and eat clock when needed. It showed me he can learn from his mistakes and adjust. Does it mean he is always going to be one step ahead? No, but he is willing to change his approach to work in the SEC where just about every team has athletes that can score alot of points very fast to flip a game. Hopefully he keeps growing and changing. If so we are set for a very good run.

Without a doubt heupel has been a gift to our program. The turnaround has been dramatic to say the least. Now comes arguably the hardest part of all - sustained success. This is where we find out if we truly have a great coach over a good one. Here’s an apples to crab apples cautionary note.
Look at Paul Chryst’s record at UW. I was living in Madison during this time and had posted on this forum in the 2000s saying we needed to hire this guy before UW got rid of “Bert” Beilema (UWs Fulmer). Well Chryst got the job when Gary Anderson (UWs Kiffen) abruptly quit as HC in 2014. Admittedly, the UW program was nowhere near the debacle that Heupel took on.
So Chryst comes on and (see attached) his record was exemplary. He beat OSU and Michigan (routinely) and his teams finished in the Top 10 for five straight seasons. However then his record dropped off. The most frequent reason given for this was “great Xs and Os, mediocre jimmys and joes”. On the surface, I see lots of similarities between the two men and their career paths. This is not to say I expect the same results over time or that “Heupel can’t recruit!”. Just saying let’s hope Heupel’s success can grow steadily and he can manage the ship now that it is sailing with favorable winds.

Agreed, that's fair. To get where we want to be as a program we are going to need a halfway decent defense. Huepel landed some studs last cycle (Carter, Bradley, Hobbs, Smith) but he needs to consistently land a few big fishes on the defensive side of the ball each cycle. He's a great coach but to be a top 5 or top 10 team each year it's going to take elite classes. This year we have whiffed on some big names but he still has 4-5 months to recover. Time will tell.

Reactions: Frozevol
Heup does modify things. The first season was all about putting a product on the field that was fun and could outscore talent equivalent teams. We got hosed in some games that should have been W's in the end (Pitt, Ole Miss, and Purdue). Last season was what you get when a team is in a system for a year and knows what to do. I think this season we are better at RB and WR. Different at QB, but I don't see it being less statistically, but simply different. Teams will have to play tighter on the outside because of Milton's arm. OL will be same. Defensively, we will be better at every unit, even with Young leaving. 10-2 is very reachable and 11-1 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Heup does modify things. The first season was all about putting a product on the field that was fun and could outscore talent equivalent teams. We got hosed in some games that should have been W's in the end (Pitt, Ole Miss, and Purdue). Last season was what you get when a team is in a system for a year and knows what to do. I think this season we are better at RB and WR. Different at QB, but I don't see it being less statistically, but simply different. Teams will have to play tighter on the outside because of Milton's arm. OL will be same. Defensively, we will be better at every unit, even with Young leaving. 10-2 is very reachable and 11-1 wouldn't surprise me at all.
I like the way you think.

If we can get to the point of having a strong enough defense to hold premiere teams to a few punts each game and have enough guys to plug and play (like hopefully Milton will be) we will have a strong program. CJH has shown he can scheme with what he has to do very well.

Seeing all the Pruitt post and the absolute dumpster fire we were 2 years ago makes me really appreciate the complete 180 this program has done under Huepel. 247 put out a preseason All-SEC coaching staff with Huepel as first team OC. The write-up list his accomplishments since being here and it's absolutely incredible what this man has done on such a short amount of time. I will post it below but 2 things really stand out. 7 top 25 wins. We were thrilled with one or two a year under previous staffs. 3rd nationally in the last 2 years. 23 single season records broke in 2 years. Not going to ramble anymore but glad we "settled" for Huepel when things were going down. This is going to be a fun ride...

"Josh Heupel has led Tennessee back to the national scene after winning 11 games in 2022.
Heupel enters his third season as an SEC head coach this fall, and ranks No. 9 among CRI's best head coaches thanks to the quick rebuild in Knoxville and his incredible run in three seasons leading UCF from 2018-20. He makes the All-SEC team as the offensive coordinator with a rating of 85.02, which is higher than his grade as a head coach (81.12).
Heupel's high-octane offense has led to three 10-win seasons in five years as a head coach. He's 46-16 overall and is the eighth-winningest among coaches since 2018. Tennessee has won seven games against top 25 teams under Heupel, which ranks No. 3 nationally over the last two seasons. He was the SEC coach of the year and a finalist for two national coach of the year awards in 2022. No one will forget the incredible scene when the Vols upset Alabama in Knoxville.
The Vols have broken 23 single-season records with the help of Heupel's up-tempo offense, which also pushed quarterback Hendon Hooker to SEC Offensive Player of the Year honors after finishing second nationally in passing efficiency (175.51). Heupel has done all of this at a program that ranked 108th nationally in scoring before his arrival."

No one could ask for any better results Heupel is tha man!

It's so ironic how many of us were disappointed with this hire, guilty here, yet he quickly made us relevant. I had nothing against him, he just wasn't that "big name", and I wouldn't trade him for anyone. I believe he's going to work some magic in the coming years.

It's so ironic how many of us were disappointed with this hire, guilty here, yet he quickly made us relevant. I had nothing against him, he just wasn't that "big name", and I wouldn't trade him for anyone. I believe he's going to work some magic in the coming years.
Me too, I'll admit it. I was kinda "meh" on it. I liked the offense but wasn't sure it would translate to the SEC. Kinda wanted Franklin, boy I was wrong.

that bolder part is incredible considering our record against Top 25 teams from 2007-2020.

I'll be the first to admit that I am merely a UT football fan who is not nearly as knowledgeable about the nuances of the game as you folks (which is why I love this site, I learn things). My one concern is that HH so elusive and really created a lot of plays with his running ability and I don't recall seeing Joe do much of that. Perhaps he's as capable and just hasn't needed to?

I don't care about Wisconsin or Paul Cryst, but the bolded above is simply not true. He only beat Michigan twice in his entire tenure and never beat Ohio State in his tenure.
His record was pretty good so when you made that claim I was curious enough to look it up.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
You are correct about his record vs OSU. I remembered a victory against the then #1 bucks but it was in 2010 - hell I was there so it seemed like not that long ago! As for Michigan, Chryst was 3-3 against them winning in 2017, 2019, and 2020. so maybe “usually” was a stretch, but a small one. UW blew them out in 2019 and 2020. I was at the 2019 blowout game and lots of the Michigan fans I talked with had given up on Harbaugh. Bet they’ve changed their tune.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It's one thing to come into a job, any job, and immediately have to start putting out fires from the previous employee at that position. It is another totally different scenario to hold a large hose in one hand and someone be effective with the team of employees/players you have remaining. Coach Heupel did just that, and while it wasn't impossible, a handful of others tried and failed miserably. IMO, what he has done to date puts him as my #1 UT coach of my lifetime. Sorry Bill Babble, Johnny Majors and even Phil - but none of you walked into a program in such shambles as Coach Hype, let alone took the remaining players and made champions of them.

What street in Ktown are we naming after Coach Heupel? I-40?? (aka the Cross Heupel Expressway?)

I'll be the first to admit that I am merely a UT football fan who is not nearly as knowledgeable about the nuances of the game as you folks (which is why I love this site, I learn things). My one concern is that HH so elusive and really created a lot of plays with his running ability and I don't recall seeing Joe do much of that. Perhaps he's as capable and just hasn't needed to?
I think we're going to see production from Joe with his legs, but it will certainly have a different feel than when Hendon used to do it.

Hendon is an elusive runner. He's got some moves Joe doesn't, some spinning and shifting and misdirecting, ankle-breaking moves.

Joe's more straight-line, with those deceptive long strides that hide the fella's moving quicker than it appears. He'll eat up 10-15 yards in a half-dozen long strides, without ever shifting off the line he has decided to take, and it will appear not much has happened. Then the chains are moving and we're 1st and 10 again.

And brain farts like the infamous play where he ran out of bounds when it was "goalline or lose," I think the game has slowed down for him (yes, he was already an experienced QB at the time, but not in Heupel's system). I don't think he makes the same kind of mistake going forward.

We'll see together...but I think he'll be okay.

Go Vols!

Reactions: GordonC
You are correct about his record vs OSU. I remembered a victory against the then #1 bucks but it was in 2010 - hell I was there so it seemed like not that long ago! As for Michigan, Chryst was 3-3 against them winning in 2017, 2019, and 2020. so maybe “usually” was a stretch, but a small one. UW blew them out in 2019 and 2020. I was at the 2019 blowout game and lots of the Michigan fans I talked with had given up on Harbaugh. Bet they’ve changed their tune.
You're right I missed the 2020 covid victory

It really is amazing. Leadership matters.
And not just coaching either. We suffered through YEARS of incompetence at the President, Chancellor and AD position. Those make a huge difference as well.

I think we're going to see production from Joe with his legs, but it will certainly have a different feel than when Hendon used to do it.

Hendon is an elusive runner. He's got some moves Joe doesn't, some spinning and shifting and misdirecting, ankle-breaking moves.

Joe's more straight-line, with those deceptive long strides that hide the fella's moving quicker than it appears. He'll eat up 10-15 yards in a half-dozen long strides, without ever shifting off the line he has decided to take, and it will appear not much has happened. Then the chains are moving and we're 1st and 10 again.

And brain farts like the infamous play where he ran out of bounds when it was "goalline or lose," I think the game has slowed down for him (yes, he was already an experienced QB at the time, but not in Heupel's system). I don't think he makes the same kind of mistake going forward.

We'll see together...but I think he'll be okay.

Go Vols!
Thank you for all the explanations. I'm really rooting for Joe and not just because he's our QB. He has paid his dues, lost his starting job and not complained. Just adjusted his hat and kept on working to improve.

Can't wait to see how the new season unfolds.

VN Store

Back