2 key decisions with this offense going into this year

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
1. He didn’t bring in a QB capable of starting this year. I was never under the impression Nico could start right away.
2. He elevated his trusty QB coach into an OC position he had never held.

Heupel has a great temperament in many ways. But he valued internal guys that the players seemed to like. But this is nowhere near the same offense we ran the last 2 years.

Definitely agree on #1. This system appears to require a QB that is the complete package - fast processing, accuracy, willingness to run. Milton seems like a good kid and he can play well at times, but his college career is 95% behind him. It’s unrealistic to expect him to put it together for the last 5%. He didn’t even play badly until the two turnovers yesterday, but he’s not the player that will go out and keep his team in games and elevate everyone else’s play. If the defense is going to play like it did yesterday, QB play has to be exceptional. As bad as the defense was last year at South Carolina, Hooker had us within 35-31 in the third quarter if my memory serves. It ultimately didn’t matter because USC was able to score TDs on 9/10 possessions. P Manning couldn’t have won with a defensive performance like that.

1. He didn’t bring in a QB capable of starting this year. I was never under the impression Nico could start right away.

Heupel has a great temperament in many ways. But he valued internal guys that the players seemed to like. But this is nowhere near the same offense we ran the last 2 years.
Didn't have the people. As for last year, Hipe fell into the barrel of shat and came out with a rose at QB and receiver. Doesn't happen very often. All day yesterday you would hear of coaching staff CHANGING their offense to match their talent. Well we just didn't have much to work with at the skill spots. Running back, pretty good but other wise below average. So you get a team that will finish 8-4 or maybe 7-5. At 8-4, I am starting to smell a UT-ND Music City Boal. UGH!

I’m not blaming this loss on Joe but a lot of what is wrong this season boils down to Joe’s limitations. We don’t have enough of an intermediate passing game over the middle. It’s put a huge task on our running game. I think there’s a lot of reasons to expect improvement next year

Reactions: murfvol1
Next year will be worse, inexperienced QB but with more talent, and 5 new OL men replacing a very average SEC OL. And I still think hiring a OC with "No" college game play calling is being over looked by many. Our offense has not flow or rhythm making the other team guess what's coming next. We have basically 3 plays, run it up the middle, throw deep down the sidelines or a quick out.

Next year will be worse, inexperienced QB but with more talent, and 5 new OL men replacing a very average SEC OL. And I still think hiring a OC with "No" college game play calling is being over looked by many. Our offense has not flow or rhythm making the other team guess what's coming next. We have basically 3 plays, run it up the middle, throw deep down the sidelines or a quick out.
Next year will be better. You aren’t seeing it. The playbook is limited because if Milton. Nico is better.

I’m not blaming this loss on Joe but a lot of what is wrong this season boils down to Joe’s limitations. We don’t have enough of an intermediate passing game over the middle. It’s put a huge task on our running game. I think there’s a lot of reasons to expect improvement next year
Everyone is taking the easy way and blaming Joe....we dont have a NFL ready receiver playing right now. Keyton just started running better routes and making better cuts...and it paid off..he still doesnt get great separation...none of them do...squirrel I love..bit he round off his routes. Thats why he gets caught from behind by lbers...Thornton just started emerging (injuried before maybe) but its not just Joe...Joe's issues are he hesitates to much...he needs to be decisive and just play, not trying to make the perfect play...the sooner everyone including Joe stops thinking he should play like HH things will be better

Vanilla offense 3rd and 3 and after running on first 2 downs, guess what we called you got it a run and they new what was comming so the threw the runner for a loss. We got out coached,and have been all yr.Why cant we do something that they werent ready for(the ole ball coach made a living do that). Why do we line up in shotgun and have to get 8 yrs for a 3 yard gain...Good Grief!

It seems to me that Heupel may only have one pitch and when it doesn’t work, we can’t secure a lead, tempo doesn’t work, we really struggle playing from behind particularly if more than 1 score game and it can get out of hand.

Last year’s Pittsburgh game when we were down 10 and found a way to hang in there and win the game. In 3 years, this is the only game I can think of where we had to play from behind (vs a back and forth game or playing with a lead).

On defensive side, Banks seems to be the same. Lack of adjustments is obvious.

Nico has the tools to be better I agree but there will be 5 new OL to protect him. So inexperienced QB with an inexperienced OL doesn't usually fair well in the SEC.

Reactions: posivol
I like Joe but he played well enough in the Orange Bowl - with a month to prepare - that we gave up pursuit of Sam Hartman. Or anyone capable of pushing Milton. No, we didn’t need a guy that would push Nico to transfer.

It’s not just the accuracy. It’s the game management, decision making and leadership. Joe continues to run his mouth when we get behind. That’s what your expect a WR to do, not your QB. He’s not elevating the play of those around him.

Look at how other teams intermediate passing game has killed us. We can’t play zone.

It seems to me that Heupel may only have one pitch and when it doesn’t work, we can’t secure a lead, tempo doesn’t work, we really struggle playing from behind particularly if more than 1 score game and it can get out of hand.

Last year’s Pittsburgh game when we were down 10 and found a way to hang in there and win the game. In 3 years, this is the only game I can think of where we had to play from behind (vs a back and forth game or playing with a lead).

On defensive side, Banks seems to be the same. Lack of adjustments is obvious.
Good point vs Pitt. So much of it is confidence and psychological.

I like Joe but he played well enough in the Orange Bowl - with a month to prepare - that we gave up pursuit of Sam Hartman. Or anyone capable of pushing Milton. No, we didn’t need a guy that would push Nico to transfer.

It’s not just the accuracy. It’s the game management, decision making and leadership. Joe continues to run his mouth when we get behind. That’s what your expect a WR to do, not your QB. He’s not elevating the play of those around him.
It’s pretty much vision and decision making IMO. Hartman has been pretty bad this year.

Everyone is taking the easy way and blaming Joe....we dont have a NFL ready receiver playing right now. Keyton just started running better routes and making better cuts...and it paid off..he still doesnt get great separation...none of them do...squirrel I love..bit he round off his routes. Thats why he gets caught from behind by lbers...Thornton just started emerging (injuried before maybe) but its not just Joe...Joe's issues are he hesitates to much...he needs to be decisive and just play, not trying to make the perfect play...the sooner everyone including Joe stops thinking he should play like HH things will be better
I wasn’t blaming him. He played very well until the end.

VN Store

Back