2-8 is Pruitt gone?

2-8 is Pruitt gone?

• Pruitt is fired if he goes 2-8

Votes: 240 38.5%
  • Pruitt survives if he goes 2-8

Votes: 384 61.5%

• Total voters
I don't know what you guys are seeing to point to the 2021 class as justification to keep Pruitt. 2021 class is not going to be as good as 2020 class. It may not even finish top 20 once other teams finish theirs' out. The 2022 in-state talent is huge and it would be much more detrimental to the long-term health of the program to switch coaches at the end of next season and burn the 2022 class versus risking blowing up this class. Depending on what happens with Weinke, we may lose Salter even if we keep Pruitt for 2021, which means kiss any chance at Simpson goodbye. Best move UTAD could make is to rip the band aid off and let a new staff start mending and building relationships with 2022 class ASAP.

2-8, he is on an extremely short leash next year. a huge coaching turnover may reveal people jumping ship.

If next year goes bad he'll be fired. The other schools are trying to get the jump on others during this weird year. They are hoping not many jobs will be open, so they can hire of the best available. That's not us. We will rinse and repeat and kick it down the road for another 3 years. The 2 most exciting things about UT football are coaching searches and off-season speculation. The actual football sux.

Losing to Vandy should be grounds for being fired with cause. However, I think Pruitt is back next year regardless of his final record.

I think he survives purely because of financial reasons. Personally I want to give him a chance to build a program but even during a rebuild, there should be no reason a coach should stay on at Tennessee with that embarrassing record. If he has a repeat of this season next year then he’s gone no matter what imo. I would sit him down after the season and give him two options: 1.) Resign now if you can’t handle this job or 2.) I’ll give you one more season and if I don’t see drastic improvement, you’re fired.
Hah, back in the day that may have been a tactic, but telling these over-paid coaches they will be gone if they don't show drastic improvement next year is just asking them to take their pay and spend next season gong through the motions. I'm sure recruiting would be non-existent too. Too many variables to qualify what improvement is.

H

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a big fan of firing a coach after 3 years. I’m just not . I don’t think that is enough time to give a coach to build his program even though we live in a time where Willie Taggert only got a year and a half. That said, I think we need to have a plan in place if USCjr is in a position to hire Freeze. I’m ok with Freeze going to just about any other program in the country other than South Carolina. I don’t think this can be allowed to happen. If that happened we would be in a world of trouble given the landscape of our division. Florida is looking like a CFP team w/ a Heisman trophy QB, UGA is still recruiting lights out and pumping out double digit win seasons, Kentucky is solid and just beat our ass with Stoops. If you add Freeze to the group you have 4 head coaches who have either won a CFP game, NY6 game and a New Year’s Day game over a traditional power. I think there needs to be some back channel conversations taking place given what we’ve heard on Freeze’s thoughts on the UT job.

If we continue to go down the path we’re going I don’t think we can afford to watch even mediocre schools like USCjr and UK surpass us. It certainly has that feel and that is something that I hate to say.

Pruitt is a failure. Whether you wait another year or not doesn’t matter he’s still going to be a failure. It’s simply about whether you think you can get your guy this year or are we better off waiting? It’s not about getting a better hire, Butch was better. It’s about getting the right hire.

No. He's here through 2021 regardless.

Also would be foolish to fire him right now given the recruiting class. Wait until a non-Covid season and give him another year to start fixing the QB issues.
Gotta say...if he's not been able to fix the qb spot in 3 long years, I have to confess to being a little leery of giving him yet another year considering the progress he's made with JG, maurer and shrout.

I will say this. I'd almost wager that if we hang with Pruitt next year, SCjr will finish above us in the SEC in 2021 and they'll whip us head to head.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
If he goes 2-8 his fate is sealed, maybe even at 3-7, but he won't be gone until the end of 2021 either way, at which point we start the cycle all over again.

If Fulmer fires him then Fulmer should agree to donate his salary Back to the university until Pruitt’s buyout is covered...otherwise just axe Fulmer as well and we can start from scratch.
I’m not saying that to be vindictive - but bad decisions should have consequences for those who make them.

Fulmer will never fire Pruitt, regardless of the record this year, or next. As long as Fulmer is AD, Pruitt will be here, because firing him, would require Fulmer to admit that he made a poor choice, and that is beyond the capabilities of his ego.

Would you ever admit you made a poor choice as wanting to fire Fulmer when he was our coach?

Phil won't do it, but he should. With a proven sec winner out there (that has LIBERTY ranked), now is the time... But unless you lock him up before you can Pruitt, then I suppose you stay. Either way, this staff isn't getting it done and in year 3, you can see where this train is heading.

If we keep him knowing he is going to get fired next year then how many of our players are in the portal this coming January?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Would you ever admit you made a poor choice as wanting to fire Fulmer when he was our coach?

I was not involved in the decision to fire Fulmer, but I don't think it was a poor decision to fire him.

I believe it was a poor decision to fire him and hire Kiffin instead of Gary Patterson

I think he should be gone at 3-7. However, I think he survives even at 2-8 due to administrative incompetence..

Reactions: onevol74
IMO the only way Pruitt isn't back next year is if he's miserable and wants out and they agree on a lesser buyout and I'm sure that's even a low chance.

You could tell when Dooley was done before he was done and the same for Butch. Butch was done before his final season and it was just a matter of when they pulled the plug on him. Something is wrong within the program right now. In year 3 there is no way we should look like a program in total disarray like we do.

Most young football fans think of Tennessee football as a low tier SEC program. You really can’t argue with them, unfortunately.
Especially after getting dismantled by Georgia State @ Neyland Stadium in front of 100,000 fans

VN Store

Back