2-8 is Pruitt gone?

2-8 is Pruitt gone?

• Pruitt is fired if he goes 2-8

Votes: 240 38.5%
  • Pruitt survives if he goes 2-8

Votes: 384 61.5%

• Total voters
He had to fire and replace Coordinator's while he was Coaching, which is pretty much the same thing. Fulmer also wouldn't have the final decision on that . He wouldn't fire him this year but if we go 4-8 or so next year I would bet Pruitt is gone. But most Coach's will get a mulligan for this year. But at the end of the day, Fulmer is a Tennessee guy and won't let Pruitt continue to regress. Won't be this year regardless, but i think we finish 3-7 and Pruitt is forced to make numerous changes to his Coaching staff. Friend and Weinke need to be the first to go then Ansley would be next. Our Oline, QB's and Secondary are the positions that continue to get worse, instead of improve. Plus it would cost around 31 million to buy out Pruitt and the staff, so it's not happening this season. Just some Assistant Coach firing's and hiring's.
If Pruitt goes 3-7 or 2-8, why wouldn't he fire him this year? I'm genuinely curious why you think he wouldn't (or shouldn't)...

Please don't say covid, if USCjr can fire a coach with a larger buyout than Pruitt and as much of a deficit (if not more), surely the great University of Tennessee can do it...

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
2-8 is a drastic decline. Could he survive at 3-7, 4-6 or 5-5? 5-5 means he has has a winning streak. I just don't get why he persists in saying we don't have anyone to come off the bench to replace JG when he falters. Doesn't make much sense. It points to bad coaching and/or recruiting. The real question is how much we can tolerate and do we value losing consistently.

I see your point, but I think it is an apples and oranges comparison.

When Fulmer thinks he has "his guy", he doesn't let go unless forced. Given that he himself was just extended, and he extended Pruitt, there's zero chance that he's going to be persuaded by anyone to get rid of him .

Reactions: tbh and Remy
If Pruitt goes 3-7 or 2-8, why wouldn't he fire him this year? I'm genuinely curious why you think he wouldn't (or shouldn't)...

Please don't say covid, if USCjr can fire a coach with a larger buyout than Pruitt and as much of a deficit (if not more), surely the great University of Tennessee can do it...
Because the genius gave him a 2 year extension after last season.

The biggest drawbacks to this job right now are:
1: Administrative incompetence. It isn't really a "lack of support" - that's a defense mechanism to make the problem sound more simple than it is. It's incompetence.
2: You must go out of state and recruit against Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, etc. using a brand that is still recognizable but tarnished.
In state talent is much better recently. Unfortunately a lot of that talent is going to programs like Clemson and Bama.

I agree with you on the first point. We’ve had absolute incompetence in the AD. I like Fulmer but I don’t think he’s done better so far either as far as football.

When Fulmer thinks he has "his guy", he doesn't let go unless forced. Given that he himself was just extended, and he extended Pruitt, there's zero chance that he's going to be persuaded by anyone to get rid of him .

I believe PF is a man of his word and there's a good chance he promised CJP 4 years no matter what. He's here next year come what may. PF is loyal to a fault, recall how difficult it was for him to get rid of Randy Sanders? The only way Pruitt is not here next year is if they fire PF with him and I don't see that happening for now.

Because the genius gave him a 2 year extension after last season.
So because he screwed up in a big way by extending Pruitt, he won't get rid of him thereby very possibly doing more damage to his "beloved" program?

If that's accurate, then Fulmer DEFINITELY needs to go also because he's either a moron or he doesn't give a sh!t about UT...

You base that on one example, when he was a coach not an AD, and it was a long time ago?

You base that on one example, when he was a coach not an AD, and it was a long time ago?

Oh, I'd say that giving a 2 year extension on a 6-year contract to a coach who is going into his 3rd season with a 13-12 record is a pretty good indicator that Fulmer has changed little since his coaching days when it comes to his stubbornness concerning his hires.

Reactions: Tnphil
Oh, I'd say that giving a 2 year extension on a 6-year contract to a coach who is going into his 3rd season with a 13-12 record is a pretty good indicator that Fulmer has changed little since his coaching days when it comes to his stubbornness concerning his hires.
Well, I guess we'll be finding out soon.

I'll give y'all the perfect example of why you don't fire a head coach that''s only been at a school for almost 2 years now and why you have to finally freaking give someone a chance to turn it around...Mark Stoops...enough said ! I mean unreal this fan base can literally be at times.....

There is an undercurrent that has been here all along that Phillip is tolerated as a temporary stop gap to right the ship. I don’t know if that has changed or not, but if I were Pruitt I’d be looking over my shoulder.

What do you think?

I don't think he will be fired since as far as I know we are still paying Butch. Plus I don't think Fulmer would anyway (I'm a Fulmer fan by the way) due to way he was fired plus with the money issues UT always seems to be in.

I hate it because I like Pruitt, but I just don't think he is going to be able to let go of the micromanagement. I also like JG as a person, but he is holding this team back IMO, and if Pruitt can't replace him for 1. he can't due to feeling bad for him or 2. he don't have a serviceable QB ready yet, both of those are on him as a HC.

I know this is pointless due to so many different outliers and how the teams was left when a coach took over, but I want to look at Tennessee coach's in their 1st 3 years.

Doug Dickey
4-5-1
8-1-2
8-3
For a record of 20-9-3 Total games played 32

Bill Battle
11-1
10-2
10-2
For a record of 31-5 Total games played 36

Johnny Majors
4-7
5-5-1
7-5
For a record of 16-17-1 Total games played 34

Phillip Fulmer
9-2-1 *NCAA changed if to 10-2 for the forfeit from Alabama we will use the original for this.
8-4
11-1
For a record of 28-7-1 Total games played 36

Derek Dooley
6-7
5-7
5-7
For a record of 16-21 Total games played 37

Butch Jones
5-7
7-6
9-4
For a record of 21-17 Total games played 38

Jeremy Pruitt
5-7
8-5
2-4 * With 4 more games to be played
For a record so far of 15-14 and Total games played so far 29

I'm willing to give one more year before I am out on Pruitt due to 2020, but I'm afraid I feel sadness coming.

Reactions: Tnphil
I'll give y'all the perfect example of why you don't fire a head coach that''s only been at a school for almost 2 years now and why you have to finally freaking give someone a chance to turn it around...Mark Stoops...enough said ! I mean unreal this fan base can literally be at times.....

So the goal now is to get back to the level of Kentucky football? That's all that should be expected of Pruitt is to get to a 5-3 SEC record as his best record in 8 years of coaching at UT?

Fulmer will never fire Pruitt, regardless of the record this year, or next. As long as Fulmer is AD, Pruitt will be here, because firing him, would require Fulmer to admit that he made a poor choice, and that is beyond the capabilities of his ego.
It sure seems like Fulmer has distanced himself from Pruitt.

Reactions: franklinboy

Not commenting on should or shouldn’t but I THINK I read USC has a reserve of like $50 mil and ours is like $10 million. I would think that would have a huge bearing on the situation for sure. JMO

So the goal now is to get back to the level of Kentucky football? That's all that should be expected of Pruitt is to get to a 5-3 SEC record as his best record in 8 years of coaching at UT?

Majors was (4-7) (5-5-1) (7-5) in his 1st 3 years here. Would you have been ready to fire him? I stand on fully admitting that Pruitt may not be any good at being a HC. I'm just not ready to make a HC change yet after going 8-5 last year and this year being as close to hell as I ever want to get.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost

VN Store

Back