vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
You opened the thread. Please stay with me, for just a minute.

In 1998, my dad was 55 and my mom was 53. I was 32. My sons were 8 and 4. My dad is 79 now. I'm 56. My sons are 31 and 27, and the 27 year old has an 8 year old. And my mom has been watching this team from heaven for the last six years.

The love for Tennessee is a generational thing. You are likely between that 8 and 79 age range, and your Tennessee Volunteers' story unique and beautiful.

The comparisons and coincidences of the 2022 team to the 1998 team are all over the place. They have been making a splash since the season started. Including the fact that our quarterback was born in 1998. And it is because people remember.

No matter what happens from here, this team - the players and coaches - THIS team is Tennessee! Y'all, this IS what it's like. Please don't take it for granted.

God bless y'all. And GO VOLS!!!

I can tell you a big difference between this and 1998 for me; back then I was much younger and I also got way too caught up in being undefeated and margin of victory and all that. Granted it was the BCS and "style points" were more important then, but looking back I almost stressed myself too much to actually enjoy it.

This time, older and wiser and sitting through crappy seasons, I'm actually more so sitting back and enjoying the ride. And it's a wonderful one at that.

Agreed. I have three sons too a bit older than yours I’m just wondering about the baby. That’s a late comer huh.

More coincidence?
Never had a Tennessee jersey. Only tons of VOLS gear throughout my life. Around 2011 my daughters were fishing for a Christmas gift and asked "If i had a jersey, what # would I want?". As miserable as it was going then, I said 98 because that may be the last time we win a National Championship for a long time.

On Christmas morning when i opened up my present,,, the jersey was #22.

Now that was my # for sports when i played a million years ago but I can take it as sign!!

Like most of us that remember 98 like it was yesterday,, I'm really just enjoying this run.

Go VOLS!!!!

Thanks for the post Vollygirl… after seeing another post about the CFP rankings, hoping VN can enjoy where we’re at right now, but equally importantly have a bit longer to enjoy our team’s achievements (hopefully through January 2023!)

Go VOLS!

In 1998, my dad was 55 and my mom was 53. I was 32. My sons were 8 and 4. My dad is 79 now. I'm 56. My sons are 31 and 27, and the 27 year old has an 8 year old. And my mom has been watching this team from heaven for the last six years.

The love for Tennessee is a generational thing. You are likely between that 8 and 79 age range, and your Tennessee Volunteers' story unique and beautiful.

The comparisons and coincidences of the 2022 team to the 1998 team are all over the place. They have been making a splash since the season started. Including the fact that our quarterback was born in 1998. And it is because people remember.

No matter what happens from here, this team - the players and coaches - THIS team is Tennessee! Y'all, this IS what it's like. Please don't take it for granted.

Always uncomfortable with this or the LSU team of a couple years ago analogy. Every team is different, for example, the Vol team that pounded Miami in the bowl game was also special. There will be a special place for this team in Vol lore whether or not they beat Georgia and/or win the National Championship.
I agree that the love for Tennessee is a multigenerational thing. It's very special and it is what separates us from other fan bases - our passion and our support for our teams are unmatched and unrivaled; win lose or draw we bleed Orange and support our student athletes.

I was 6. I hope I get to experience it when I fully understand it. Either way this team plays like a Tennessee team should.

Reactions: vollygirl
I was 24 that year. This team is a little different and the same in some ways. Peyton had just left for the NFL an Tee Martin was thought of as a game manager. National title wasn't even on the radar. This team was expected to be better than last year but not to this degree. They seem to be improving weekly. Who knows. Still a 1/4 of season to go. It's going to end up a special season regardless.

More coincidence?
Never had a Tennessee jersey. Only tons of VOLS gear throughout my life. Around 2011 my daughters were fishing for a Christmas gift and asked "If i had a jersey, what # would I want?". As miserable as it was going then, I said 98 because that may be the last time we win a National Championship for a long time.

On Christmas morning when i opened up my present,,, the jersey was #22.

Now that was my # for sports when i played a million years ago but I can take it as sign!!

Like most of us that remember 98 like it was yesterday,, I'm really just enjoying this run.

Go VOLS!!!!
Oh. My. Gosh!!!!!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Thanks for sharing. Touching post for sure.

I was a Freshman , just turned 18, on the hill in 1998. First generation to attend college, family always supported the Vols but it really kicked in when I enrolled.

I’m 42 and have a 17 year old son, accepted into UT for next year. We go to every single football, basketball, baseball game that we can get to and have been since he was 4 years old. He’s never seen or experienced anything like this year and had honestly started to doubt the stories I told him until this year.

A lot of thanks from this guy to the Boyd’s, Plowman’s, Danny White, and Heupel’s of this world of making this experience an unforgettable ride.

My Dad was 57 in '98, same age I am now. My Mom has also been watching from Heaven for a few years now. Really makes you think.

VN Store

Back