1990 100 Years of Volunteers Football Cards

#91 Vols Great Fan

I am searching for individuals who either have incomplete sets or quantities of extra cards from this 294 card set issued for the Vols Football Centennial. My interest is in trading or helping others complete a partial set. I have somewhere between 2000 and 3000 extra cards in pristine condition. My direct email is easleywayne51@gmail.com I would also like to contact the original printer if that company is still in business.

That is a nice set of cards. Got the complete set and about half of them signed. When i mailed a few to Johnny Majors he wanted to know more about the set and if i had any extras of him. Sent him probably 10 of each of his cards. He signed mine and kept the extra ones for himself. Tough to find some of the guys but most were thrilled to sign and get the extras.

Doug Atkins helped me get enough cases of the highs & the lows to build about 400 sets for the two of us combined. I thought I was through with them in 1998 or 1999 and gave all my extras to the Principal at my former middle school to give away. It was probably 3 full monster boxes of various numbers. In 2016 I was tasked with the disposal of his collection which contained a bunch of extras from the set. I have done my best to assist others that are setting on near completed sets and still have 2000 to 3000 of extras. .....What part of the tri-cities? I lived in Jonesborough from 1978 thru 1986, in Davy Crockett Sub Division, just west of 5 Points.

I've got a box of a ton of them in storage somewhere... Need to see what I've got!

I've got a box of a ton of them in storage somewhere... Need to see what I've got!
ButchPlz, have you got a full set? They were very hard to build and I think the only complete sets were the ones the printer sent to the featured players who signed cards for them. If you have a ton of extras, I would be open to a offer to buy!

That is a nice set of cards. Got the complete set and about half of them signed. When i mailed a few to Johnny Majors he wanted to know more about the set and if i had any extras of him. Sent him probably 10 of each of his cards. He signed mine and kept the extra ones for himself. Tough to find some of the guys but most were thrilled to sign and get the extras.
Of the 294 cards, I have somewhere between 60 and 70 signed in my presence. Most of the time I took a picture of the person signing. My book also contains a hand written list of when, where and how the autographs were acquired. I am also the caretaker of Doug's personal autographed set sent to him by the printer/publisher.

ButchPlz, have you got a full set? They were very hard to build and I think the only complete sets were the ones the printer sent to the featured players who signed cards for them. If you have a ton of extras, I would be open to a offer to buy!
I definitely don't have a complete set, but I've got hundreds and hundreds of cards assuming my parents didn't get rid of them. It may be a bit but I can check the storage unit!

That was a great old set. I have some singles and autos as well I have collected over the years. The Doug Atkins auto is one of my favorites.

That's awesome. I was fortunate to get some personalized to me through my Dad who had interacted with Doug on occasion. I loved hearing the stories he would tell.

If you look closely at my avatar, you will see Doug's rookie jersey when he was Cleveland Browns #1 draft pick in 1953. He allowed me to display it in my shop until I closed and returned to public work. As the story goes, he sold it to a bar in New Orleans that burned, destroying both the jersey and a game worn Chicago Bears helmet. Both were considered one of a kind.

If you look closely at my avatar, you will see Doug's rookie jersey when he was Cleveland Browns #1 draft pick in 1953. He allowed me to display it in my shop until I closed and returned to public work. As the story goes, he sold it to a bar in New Orleans that burned, destroying both the jersey and a game worn Chicago Bears helmet. Both were considered one of a kind.
Oh wow, those are some amazing pieces. He was a one of a kind character.

Around that same time period, the card set's manufacturer, Hoby, also put out a set of SEC cards with famous stars and players from every SEC team at that time. Do you by any chance have any of these cards. I need cards #182 Mike Anderson, LSU and #332 Chuck Scott, Vanderbilt.

Do you have full sets that you would be willing to sell or trade?
I have a few left. I think currently there are 12 boxed sets and 4 in binders paged so that you can see both sides of the card. I have some listed on eBay under waynerd51 if you want to look and see what is involved. If I sell them straight out using PayPal friends and family, I can discount them 10%. The shipping that way remains the same.

Around that same time period, the card set's manufacturer, Hoby, also put out a set of SEC cards with famous stars and players from every SEC team at that time. Do you by any chance have any of these cards. I need cards #182 Mike Anderson, LSU and #332 Chuck Scott, Vanderbilt.
I only have a complete set of the Hoby SEC cards and would not break it up. I know you will understand.

I only have my personal complete set. I don't have any spares that I recall.

I do not remember which VolNation member was quoted as having a full set, still wrapped in cello and never opened. What he described was a individual box of cards that were available in 1990. If the box top looks like the attached picture, I think that member will discover that they have a box of 36 random packs with 14 cards in each pack. Depending on which portion of the state they were purchased, they have 504 cards of random nature and they will be predominately low numbers or high numbers.100 Years of Vols C.jpg

Reactions: Capt Whiskey

VN Store

Back