1985 Sugar Vols Where Are They Now

Man William Howard has tree trunk legs!! At least they looked that way to a 12 year old. Got his autograph at the spring game back in the day. It was great no lines to wait just walk around on the field and get autographs.

I knew one of the LBs on the team. He was a walk on and didn’t get any playing time but was on that Sugar B team. He said that during the game he’d watch to see where the sideline tv camera was and casually get into the shot and occasionally turning g his head. Just to get air time.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Todd Kirk is the headmaster and football coach at Laurens Academy in South Carolina. The football field they play on is named after him. He and I played high school football together. Awesome guy from an awesome family.
You’re from Pennington Gap? I’m from BSG. I remember Todd and Randy Sanders speaking at a church when I was really little. Funny how I don’t remember much else from being that young, but everything I DO remember seems to deal with Tennessee football.

Reactions: feathersax
"Team of Destiny" they were called.

"If he's even, he's leavin" - Frank Browles (former HC at Ark) and television sports caster during the game. He was referring to Tim McGhee I think.
No, that comment was made about Jeff Powell as he ignited the after burners past by the Miami defense.

No, that comment was made about Jeff Powell as he ignited the after burners past by the Miami defense.
Yep... he said it as he got the corner on Bennie Blades. Blades won the Thorpe Award and became a pro bowler, but he Powell ran right by him.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
The 1985 squad was one of toughness and the sheer desire to win. They won with offense at times, they won with defense at times. And on the great Jan night of 1986 it all came together for a BIG ORANGE ARSE WHOPPIN OF THE MIAMI HURRICANES!!!!! That night there was a BIG ORANGE TRAIN coming and nobody told Miami!!!!! GBO!!!!!

Man William Howard has tree trunk legs!! At least they looked that way to a 12 year old. Got his autograph at the spring game back in the day. It was great no lines to wait just walk around on the field and get autographs.
I always liked Howard...he was more of a FB but played some at TB due to injuries. When he took the pitch on a sweep he had no intention of outrunning the D to the edge - he just got his momentum going and looked for somebody to run over!

I always liked Howard...he was more of a FB but played some at TB due to injuries. When he took the pitch on a sweep he had no intention of outrunning the D to the edge - he just got his momentum going and looked for somebody to run over!
He was not only used at tailback when we had injuries. There were many games we salted away in the fourth quarter by simply handing or pitching it to Howard. Student body left student body right, he was a handful to bring down once he got up to speed. He was also a great blocking fullback that could also catch a pass out of the backfield now and then. GBO!

He was not only used at tailback when we had injuries. There were many games we salted away in the fourth quarter by simply handing or pitching it to Howard. Student body left student body right, he was a handful to bring down once he got up to speed. He was also a great blocking fullback that could also catch a pass out of the backfield now and then. GBO!
When we had 3rd and 1 vs. Bama, I liked our chances with Howard, or with Sam Bam Henderson.

You’re from Pennington Gap? I’m from BSG. I remember Todd and Randy Sanders speaking at a church when I was really little. Funny how I don’t remember much else from being that young, but everything I DO remember seems to deal with Tennessee football.
Hey, I'm originally from Dryden. My Dad knew Todd and was friends with his Dad.

VN Store

Back