1943 was the last time

Basilio repeated something about SV, JJJ, JM, JA, and ZZ being the first players to win both an SEC Tournament AND an SEC regular season championship in their careers since 1943.

He’s wrong. Unless he said OUTRIGHT SEC regular season champion. Steve Ray was a freshman on the 1979 SECT championship team and a senior on the 1982 SEC regular season co-championship team.

So 42 years instead of 43?

That TN won BOTH the SEC regular season AND the SEC Tournament.

81 years is too long.

Let’s make more history in a week and a half.
Well the Conference is totally different now a lot of teams have been added plus a lot of teams gone, a lot harder to do it now. In fact the SEC is probably the best top to bottom conference in the nation, probably first year you could ever say that and we won it at its best🏆. SEC has been historically as a Football conference sans UK. That is mostly why UK got all the best players and everyone else was just a participant in their league and UK has all those championships. Its a different conference now.

Winning the tournament of the 1st or 2nd best conference in the country is MEANINGLESS? Sorry, no. You are wrong.
Basketball conference tournaments are meaningless. Having the best record after playing 18 conference games is way more impressive than winning 3-4 games in a row, in 3-4 days, on a neutral court, a week before the real tournament starts.

Conference tournaments are only meaningful to the teams that only have a shot at making the NCAA tournament by winning the conference tournament. It wouldn’t surprise me if Texas A&M or LSU won the conference tournament. Does that mean they are the best team in the SEC? Of course not. We know who the best team is after 18 games.

Reactions: VolunteerVandiver
In calculating the SEC All Sports Championship does it give the regular season champ the #1 or the tourney champ?

The whole idea that playing three games next weekend is gonna makes these guys too tired to beat a Quinipiac because is stupid and laughable. Three more games just makes us better. Injury is always a concern when you suit up but that can happen in practice too. 90 minutes of basketball in three days in not gonna put these starters on a respirator like some of you think. Maybe some of you can Volunteer to stroll them around campus in a wheelchair that week and lift their spoons for them while they are eating to save energy.

Basketball conference tournaments are meaningless. Having the best record after playing 18 conference games is way more impressive than winning 3-4 games in a row, in 3-4 days, on a neutral court, a week before the real tournament starts.

Conference tournaments are only meaningful to the teams that only have a shot at making the NCAA tournament by winning the conference tournament. It wouldn’t surprise me if Texas A&M or LSU won the conference tournament. Does that mean they are the best team in the SEC? Of course not. We know who the best team is after 18 games.
This is not even close to being right and is an insult to the UT players who all laid it on the line two years ago and got it done. You play to win and win championships. These guys have pride and will play to win us another.

Winning the tournament of the 1st or 2nd best conference in the country is MEANINGLESS? Sorry, no. You are wrong.
Didn’t help us the year we won it. I’ve always believed that the top seeds in the ncaa are done long before the conference tournaments start

Reactions: CAVPUT
Last 5 SEC Basketball National Champions either won outright or lost in the finals of the conference tournament. Winning it matters to great teams.

Didn’t help us the year we won it. I’ve always believed that the top seeds in the ncaa are done long before the conference tournaments start
I agree. Still, there's simply no transparency or criteria to judge the committee on. They can say the conference tournaments don't matter one year but use it as a justification the next.

Reactions: tn4elvis
I agree. Still, there's simply no transparency or criteria to judge the committee on. They can say the conference tournaments don't matter one year but use it as a justification the next.
Yeah that’s true. Seems like the criteria changes every year. I think we need to beat Kentucky and we will snap the number one seed in the west

That's a different argument. "Helping us" and being "meaningless" aren't mutually exclusive statements.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Meaningless to you? That doesn't make it meaningless.
Meaningless to me as well. Nothing good comes from playing 3 games in 3 days - while other conferences finish their tournaments the week before or on Saturday.
Purely a moneymaker for the SEC and media folks.
Yes, these are healthy young guys - but rest and recovery is far more important than playing at this point.

Let's Dagger the Kittens first. Don't give them a chance to gloat.
This game now concerns me ... I'd rather beat UK than win the SEC tourney if I had my druthers. Losing tourney gm 1 just means more rest / prep for real tourney. Although winning them all is preferred above all.

This game now concerns me ... I'd rather beat UK than win the SEC tourney if I had my druthers. Losing tourney gm 1 just means more rest / prep for real tourney. Although winning them all is preferred above all.
I think this team will kick the snot out of Kentucky. Why? There isn't the pressure now there was in the SCjr game, plus senior day, plus they will be playing loosy goosy because they've already won it. The highlight of the game will be watching Cal squirm and get out on the court and yell at the refs. He's gotta put on the image that he's doing something for his fanbase. They'll meltdown anyway.

This is not even close to being right and is an insult to the UT players who all laid it on the line two years ago and got it done. You play to win and win championships. These guys have pride and will play to win us another.

The fact that we won the tournament two years ago and the selection committee put Kentucky as a higher seed than us proves that tournament championship meant nothing.

This is not my opinion. This is based on years of NCAA tournament seeding results.

We've had a heckuva run, but UK is catching us at a really good time. Know we're at home, but they're still smarting from the beating we gave them earlier. With the regular season title in the books, it's only natural to lose a bit of our edge and that's not a good thing against a team with the talent UK possesses. Plus, for some reason, these "senior days" or days we recognize greats seems to bring out less than stellar performances from us. When that team gets rolling, they can be a real problem. I think we see UK stealing this one from us on Saturday. Felt 3-1 was about the best we could hope for in this 4 game stretch anyway.

The tourney isn't that important anymore--and IT SHOULDN'T BE. Regular season champ is the legit league champ. Pundits and
NCAA committee don't even pay that much attention to the tourney unless the winner is a team that wasn't expected to make
the tourney, because they recognize that the regular season is the more credible metric and because a lot of P5 teams have
already established whether they're a NCAA team or not. It affects seeding a bit, but the tourney is mostly a waste of time and energy--
the usual money/greed play.
How is it a greed play? UT is THE University that has said it openly wants to pay players. The SEC tournament has meaning. Basketball is a rhythm sport. You don't get better by not playing and resting. Furthermore, it predates the NCAA tourney. Let me remind you that UT had a negative revenue stream after costs last year of about 2m. Only two sports made money Men's Football & Basketball. Those sports provide the revenue for all the other sports to operate. A money "grab" doesn't happen in a NON_PROFIT entity.

We've had a heckuva run, but UK is catching us at a really good time. Know we're at home, but they're still smarting from the beating we gave them earlier. With the regular season title in the books, it's only natural to lose a bit of our edge and that's not a good thing against a team with the talent UK possesses. Plus, for some reason, these "senior days" or days we recognize greats seems to bring out less than stellar performances from us. When that team gets rolling, they can be a real problem. I think we see UK stealing this one from us on Saturday. Felt 3-1 was about the best we could hope for in this 4 game stretch anyway.
Yeah, the idea of 4-0 was not looking very likely. But, dang if they didn't get 3-0 done

Aha
The fact that we won the tournament two years ago and the selection committee put Kentucky as a higher seed than us proves that tournament championship meant nothing.

This is not my opinion. This is based on years of NCAA tournament seeding results.
Again, means nothing? In terms of NCAA seedings maybe your right. Is that all that matters? Not to most hardcore CBB fans

Last edited:

VN Store

Back