'18 TN ATH Joseph Norwood

“tennessee called my coach (tyrus ward) this morning and said coach pruitt was watching my tape,” norwood explained. “after coach watched it, they called back and said the wanted to see me up there. Coach ward and i headed up just before lunch and i spent the day up there. “it was great. I love the campus. My goal was to come up there and see where tennessee stands with me. They are still evaluating me. Coach pruitt wanted to give me an eye test.”

“i had a great talk with coach pruitt. It was all business,” norwood said. “he was just trying to get to know me and i was asking him questions trying to get to know him. I had a good talk with coach fair and coach kelly as well. “i feel like they are getting to know me trying to see if they would be making the right decision on me. He wants to talk to the staff about me.”

the 6-foot-1 defensive back started his high school career at ooltewah high school. After his sophomore season, norwood transferred to brainerd high school and had to sit out his junior year. This past june, brainerd went through a coaching change as ward was hired. The result of all of that is that norwood fell through the cracks.

At one point in the fall, norwood, who is a full qualifer, appeared to be set to go to chattanooga, but then he got calls from tulane, mtsu, umass, and wake forest. Norwood has taken official visits to see the blue raiders, green wave, and minutemen all before calls from nebraska and tennessee. Not a bad fall for a guy who played defense for the first time as a senior this past season.

Norwood, who is a state champion in the long jump and is a basketball player, is suprisingly very physical for a first year defender and he believes that's what has caught everyone's eye. “i think the physicality of how i play,” norwood said of his strengths. “a lot of safeties either can hit or cover. I think i can do both. Playing three sports in high school helps me. It helps with ball skills and things like that. “i'm not a five-star but i think they see a lot potential in me.”

saturday night, norwood returned to chattanooga impressed with what he saw in knoxville and wondering what the next three days will bring. Tennessee has told him they would let him know their decision on him while mtsu, and tulane await an answer. “i'm trying not to get too excited because i don't know where this is going,” norwood explained.

- vq

Reactions: 8 people
I really like him.

He's a good solid DB prospect right in our own backyard.

State champion in the log jump....I said earlier he was a long strider so I see the reason for the reason for the state championship...I wish the kid best of luck going forward

Seems like he’s willing to wait to see how this finishes out. If they end up having a spot he’s in. If they don’t he goes to Tulane. Win win.

Looks solid. He def stands out in highlights as a notch above the others on same field athletically. 1st yr on defense would explain his underrated status. Looks good physically so you know he will hit that weight room. Wouldn't mind taking him with all these other wish washy losers that can't make mind up

Plays bigger than he looks. Good hitter, looks like very good tackler...if there is a spot in the end .... sure take him.

I won’t lie, I really like this kid at safety. Want to see if he can pack on some more weight, cuz he hits like a freight train when he gets to the back. But the SEC has bigger backs than high school. Eats the grass well and isn’t afraid of the ball. If he’s a legit 6’ 1-2” I can see the staffs infatuation.

I won’t lie, I really like this kid at safety. Want to see if he can pack on some more weight, cuz he hits like a freight train when he gets to the back. But the SEC has bigger backs than high school. Eats the grass well and isn’t afraid of the ball. If he’s a legit 6’ 1-2” I can see the staffs infatuation.

He is a legit 6’1” to 6’2”. I’ve seen him play basketball a dozen times or more and my son has played bball with him at the red. He is a very good athlete!

Reactions: 3 people
4.57 laser timed in the 40 and over 22' for the long jump. Averages a double double in B Ball. Kid is an athlete.

Reactions: 2 people
Our In-State DBs have been very solid for us.

Get him!

Film looks as good as anybody's

Champion on Track & Field
Great Basketball player.

Dominates on the gridiron.

Get him!

Intrigued by this kid as a safety...diagnoses things quickly, natural instincts and his hitting and tackling are outstanding...

Love to have him..

“Uncommitted defensive back Joseph Norwood: One of the most intriguing late finds in the class, Norwood didn’t play football as a junior but he’s a great basketball player a state champion long jumper and he’s immediately shown the physicality for the game. He could end up at UMass or MTSU if a big school doesn’t offer but his upside is off the charts.”

College football recruiting: 25 new 4-stars in 247Sports Recruiting Rankings

Reactions: 1 person
“Uncommitted defensive back Joseph Norwood: One of the most intriguing late finds in the class, Norwood didn’t play football as a junior but he’s a great basketball player a state champion long jumper and he’s immediately shown the physicality for the game. He could end up at UMass or MTSU if a big school doesn’t offer but his upside is off the charts.”

College football recruiting: 25 new 4-stars in 247Sports Recruiting Rankings

Nice article. Glad 247 is still working on this stuff for the kids and that Pruitt seems to be finding them ahead of time even though he didn't have a lot of time to do so. Should help a lot in the future.

Not gonna lie, I'd be thrilled for this kid if he gets the offer. A little hometown pride.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back