'18 LA TE Glenn Beal (Texas A&M signee)

giphy.gif

RS Jr Eli Wolf 6’4 224
RS So Austin Pope 6’4 230
So James Brown 6’3 222
RS So Andrew Craig 6’5 240
Jr DWA 6’5 245
Fr Beal 6’5 255

I don’t think Pope or Wolf will ever be the type to be 250+ TEs, but they’re pretty athletic and i think will definitely have a role in the offense in some way. Craig could put on another 10 or so and be a blocking TE.

I don't see Pope and Wolf being factors at all going forward. They got some PT under the old staff and both struggled mightily and that was in an offense where they didn't even ask the TE to do much from a physical standpoint. They are not at all the kind of TE this staff is looking for.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't see Pope and Wolf being factors at all going forward. They got some PT under the old staff and both struggled mightily and that was in an offense where they didn't even ask the TE to do much from a physical standpoint. They are not at all the kind of TE this staff is looking for.

no they aren't, which is why i could see a transfer, or two. unless they're moved to another position...and i have no idea what position they would be suited for...?? sooooooooo

Reactions: 1 person

Let’s see what Fitzgerald can do before we revoke scholarships. And who DIDNT struggle under Jones? That said, this whole position group is in dire need of some swole.

Probly the whole team.

Let’s see what Fitzgerald can do before we revoke scholarships. And who DIDNT struggle under Jones? That said, this whole position group is in dire need of some swole.

Probly the whole team.

I don't doubt that is true with a number of guys but these two even coming out of HS were not viewed as physical / blocking type TE's and from what I've seen of them up to this point in college I would agree they were nowhere near strong enough or physical enough. I don't see any way either are factors going forward. Guys like Bumphus, Beal, DWA are the type of bigger / more physical TE's that will be targeted and that should be targeted by SEC schools.

This issue with taking three TEs is going on in other threads. I mentioned this in one of them, but figured I would add this here as I feel Beal will definitely play TE/H-back at Tennessee. Though Beal is as good a SDE prospect as he is a TE as is well known, he wants to play TE in college. The fact we have no good H-backs and we're about to run a Hybrid-ProStyle Offense means that unless we're going to convert another one of our blockers already on roster, Beal would satisfy that need almost immediately. So yes, the staff is going after Beal hard. He blocks as good as he pursues. Our other two TE commitments are both more receiver type TEs. Jacob Warren is 6-6, 210, and I think will make a fine receiver down the road. Dominick Wood-Anderson needs little explanation as he's one of the best receiving TEs in the Nation. Either way, the caveat that Beal is talented on both sides of the ball, to me, means that if he commits, we're taking. Whether that means he pans out at SDE or H-back/TE, he is too valuable in his potential to fulfill a need, depending on which he excels at the fastest. I think that is probably going to be on offense, but he is a definite take either way.

Reactions: 3 people
A double TE set with big TE's who can catch, run, and block is a good set to mix in versus teams that like to run a 3-4 scheme.

Like Alabama & Georgia both run.

I know this is new to most Tennessee fans because Tennessee hasn't been revelant in modern football.

There is actually a clear vision and plan in place at Tennessee now.

Good times will follow

Reactions: 3 people
Simply running a 2 te set with great Te's will force a 3-4 to take one of those freak olb's out and bring in dline men.

You can't just drop down those OLB to de against a 7 man offensive front.

Simply running a 2 te set with great Te's will force a 3-4 to take one of those freak olb's out and bring in dline men.

You can't just drop down those OLB to de against a 7 man offensive front.

That is literally how the Pruitt/Saban defense works. Extremely multiple. The problem with Jones’ offense wasn’t personnel necessarily, but with being completely predictable.

I've long liked the idea of just keeping Antonutti at TE. His HUDL at TE is very good.

Too stiff, I thought. I think he hits the big weights and balloons anyways. We are wafer thin at OL to begin with. I’m sure he’ll learn to bend better with coaching, I just didn’t see it on film.

It's not that this staff won't even take guys that can grow into OT they just won't be stupid like Butch and only take projects

Maybe the coaches will move #77 RSSo. Devante Brooks (6-5, 282) back to TE, where he played in HS. :question:

Butch didn't take many so called projects for the OL. Most everyone he took was highly rated.

Niehaus, Tatum, Calbert, Brooks.....that’s 4 OL projects currently on our roster alone. Antonutti is another one that he had committed for this class. Didn’t look back further. Jones took a lot of OL projects.

Last edited:
Maybe the coaches will move #77 RSSo. Devante Brooks (6-5, 282) back to TE, where he played in HS. :question:

I think his knees are cheese cloth now, limiting his ability to run, and that’s why he got moved to tackle. Could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure those high school injuries had something to do with it.

Niehaus, Tatum, Calbert, Brooks.....that’s 4 OL projects currently on our roster alone. Antonutti is another one that he had committed for this class. Didn’t look back further. Jones took a lot of OL projects.

Tatum was number 1 OT in Florida with everyone after him. Brooks was a top 100 guy when he committed. Calbert is a decent sized guy, not sure how big he is but he wasn't someone that needed 50lbs

Tatum was highly recruited...Gators went all out. And Calbert was a take for SC. Both needed RS years. Tatum for his weight and Calbert for his injury. Only one got that. I don’t consider them projects.

Reactions: 4 people
Tatum was highly recruited...Gators went all out. And Calbert was a take for SC. Both needed RS years. Tatum for his weight and Calbert for his injury. Only one got that. I don’t consider them projects.

I agree, let’s define what a project OL is... I think it is a guy who was more of the Jumbo athlete in HS who converts more of an OL in College (brooks).. if that is the case we have taken few “projects”

The ol project narrative is a bit off. Most ol are projects. He landed a few highly rated guys and took a chance on some. The biggest issue was s&c and coaching. He only really got 1 elite which was also an issue. But I think that was a side effect of elite prospects knowing the coaching was bad.

The ol project narrative is a bit off. Most ol are projects. He landed a few highly rated guys and took a chance on some. The biggest issue was s&c and coaching. He only really got 1 elite which was also an issue. But I think that was a side effect of elite prospects knowing the coaching was bad.

Oline coaching was horrible and to think Butch didn't retain Sam Pittman. 1st mistake of many.

VN Store

Back