'18 GA RB Lyn-J Dixon (Tennessee transfer)

I have no problem taking a transfer or two to fill holes in a roster especially a grad transfer who can play immediately. But taking a number of kids who are unhappy cause they got recruited over ISNT the way you build a championship program IMO. Yes, 3 of the 4 CFP teams had transfer QBs. 2 were grad transfers that filled immediate needs at QB, that played immediately and Fields got an underserved waiver. Those will be harder to get in the future IMO.

The roster desperately needed Solomon in the preseason. Not so much by mid season. TN had the luxury at WR to RS Gibbs this year cause they need WRs next yr. I cut Mays slack because of the complete shitshow Jones last year here was.

I’d rather sign a HS kid who may play as a freshMan & 4 yrs most likely or RS that a soph or jr who has to RS. Plus. I’ve never considered Tennessee a “fall back option” program but I guess some of you do.
Every single transfer performed well for their former team. However, the real question is would you rather expedite our 12 your journey through the desert by playing known commodities or wait on a HS kid who may or may not contribute at all?

Regarding your comment on Solomon, I know he wasn’t 100% healthy last year. I fully expect him to have a much better season in 2020 with more experience, more time in the weight room/conditioning, and better depth around him. At least that’s my hope!

Every single transfer performed well for their former team. However, the real question is would you rather expedite our 12 your journey through the desert by playing known commodities or wait on a HS kid who may or may not contribute at all?

Regarding your comment on Solomon, I know he wasn’t 100% healthy last year. I fully expect him to have a much better season in 2020 with more experience, more time in the weight room/conditioning, and better depth around him. At least that’s my hope!

I pointed out 3 transfers who did play very well on very good teams to begin with but who says every transfer plays well? What about the Stevens kid at Miss State, or some of the other transfers at other schools who didnt pan out? Didnt WV take a grad transfer at QB? How did that work out? What about KY? They did and he was benched for a WR. Where is Martell at Miami now? He was a 5* coming out and everyone wanted him. Everyone sees Murray and Burrow and think transfers are a pot of gold and sometimes they are but not always. Its a crap shoot and you often get a kid for 2-3 years on scholly with little or not production that runs off your opportunity to sign a hs kid who can develop or is ready but doesnt like the log jam on the roster.

I pointed out 3 transfers who did play very well on very good teams to begin with but who says every transfer plays well? What about the Stevens kid at Miss State, or some of the other transfers at other schools who didnt pan out? Didnt WV take a grad transfer at QB? How did that work out? What about KY? They did and he was benched for a WR. Where is Martell at Miami now? He was a 5* coming out and everyone wanted him. Everyone sees Murray and Burrow and think transfers are a pot of gold and sometimes they are but not always. Its a crap shoot and you often get a kid for 2-3 years on scholly with little or not production that runs off your opportunity to sign a hs kid who can develop or is ready but doesnt like the log jam on the roster.
Not every high school recruit performs well either. I'm not sure I'm following your logic. You're claiming that athletes who have proven themselves at the college level are bigger risks that HS kids who haven't?

I have no problem taking a transfer or two to fill holes in a roster especially a grad transfer who can play immediately. But taking a number of kids who are unhappy cause they got recruited over ISNT the way you build a championship program IMO. Yes, 3 of the 4 CFP teams had transfer QBs. 2 were grad transfers that filled immediate needs at QB, that played immediately and Fields got an underserved waiver. Those will be harder to get in the future IMO.

The roster desperately needed Solomon in the preseason. Not so much by mid season. TN had the luxury at WR to RS Gibbs this year cause they need WRs next yr. I cut Mays slack because of the complete shitshow Jones last year here was.

I’d rather sign a HS kid who may play as a freshMan & 4 yrs most likely or RS that a soph or jr who has to RS. Plus. I’ve never considered Tennessee a “fall back option” program but I guess some of you do.
The way the transfer portal is now you are looking at it completely wrong. There is taking everywhere every school. These kids wanna leave their schools who gives a damn. We’ve been bad for 20 years. You say you’d rather sign a kid who could ply as a freshman.. that wont happen in 2-3 more years you get that right? We play freshman because we have no depth and don’t have a good program. We just brought in 2 transfers at WR that will help DEPTH. It’s a program my dude not a two deep in madden. We need everyone we can

Reactions: Orange_Crush
I’m not saying that every transfer works out, but I trust our coaches as evaluators. The more important part is these players have all played for big time programs and performed well. Granted, I’m not sure what we’re getting with Gibbs at WR, but he’s a great athlete and the news has been positive so far. Same goes for the QB from Maryland. Will at all work out? Who knows, but at least they have some quality experience.

Btw. Martell was not a 5 star. He was a 4 star from Vegas who was short for the position and had baggage. WVU had a solid QB transfer in Grier. Last year was a coaching transition and they were desperate to fill a void left with Grier going pro.

The way the transfer portal is now you are looking at it completely wrong. There is taking everywhere every school. These kids wanna leave their schools who gives a damn. We’ve been bad for 20 years. You say you’d rather sign a kid who could ply as a freshman.. that wont happen in 2-3 more years you get that right? We play freshman because we have no depth and don’t have a good program. We just brought in 2 transfers at WR that will help DEPTH. It’s a program my dude not a two deep in madden. We need everyone we can

On a completely unrelated note, the Uncle Rico avatar is awesome!

Reactions: RockyTopTexas
I don’t want Tennessee to become Transfer U. Dixon isn’t any better than what we have & he’d have to sit a year most likely. I’d rather spend that on someone better for 2021.

Since he didn’t want to help Tennessee get off the floor, he don’t deserve to ride the wave up.

We have a lot of new fans that begs for others 2nd's. Agreed the kid had a chance to commit a couple of years ago. I like our backs. Need positions WR and rush DE.

Reactions: wmcovol
So how does that work? He just takes the year off to visit schools, therefore he doesn't lose a year of eligibility?

So how does that work? He just takes the year off to visit schools, therefore he doesn't lose a year of eligibility?
No he can transfer anywhere once and not have to take a year off. Now if he is transferring for the 2nd time he would have to take a year off. But the new transfer rule was put in place last year and kids don't have to sit out a year anymore.

Use this as a redshirt year. The UCF linebacker who is transferring mentioned doing the same thing

He's leaving Clemson because of PT.. how will that change at UT? He's not good enough to walk in and be a bell cow with who we have

Reactions: walkenvol
What if Evans goes to the NFL after this year?
That's always a possibility, though I doubt he's a one and done. Beckwith probably leaves but we bring in Sampson and possibly James or Hayden. If Evans, Jabari and Wright are still here I don't see a use in him with his skillset.

Reactions: RockyTopTexas

VN Store

Back