'18 GA DE Brenton Cox

This thread has gotten funny. Seems like many of us wanted this guy. He plays a position need and would have brought experience. But now that he picked UF, all of a sudden we didn’t really want him because he would be a problem. Yet I am sure that if he came here, nobody would be complaining about him being trouble.
Welcome to VN

Much rather invest that spot in next years class on Sewell, Smalls, or Eason myself
There is no investing. We have 25 spots for 2020, no more. Only difference (if we took a transfer) is simply between taking 1 blueshirt or 2 to reach 25.

According to 247, he’s been assigned to the 2019 class. I guess that could change.
I could see that, they have 4 guys from their class not make it. And those wondering why UT didn’t take a swing here, Pruitt still has people around Athens that are sources, I’d say Pruitt didn’t feel Cox would have been a good fit in Kville.

I saw this one dude on YouTube that’s a Georgia homer that unequivocally said he’s a cancer and older guys were flat out sick of him. While I admit to wanting a five-star talent, this kid has program-breaker written all over him. I’m surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Now to watch for the glow over Gainesville.....

Cox was going nowhere else but UF. His best friend is UF DB Trey Dean, former Vol commit btw. They grew up together south of Atlanta. Dean knew Cox was going in the portal. Todd Grantham was on the phone with Cox within minutes after it happened. Cox was signing autographs at UGA fan day last Saturday and was practicing with UF on Friday.

Cox was going nowhere else but UF. His best friend is UF DB Trey Dean, former Vol commit btw. They grew up together south of Atlanta. Dean knew Cox was going in the portal. Todd Grantham was on the phone with Cox within minutes after it happened. Cox was signing autographs at UGA fan day last Saturday and was practicing with UF on Friday.
Good thing we didn't spend any time pursuing him then.

Reactions: Devo182
Garbage in, garbage out in Gainesville.

I could see that, they have 4 guys from their class not make it. And those wondering why UT didn’t take a swing here, Pruitt still has people around Athens that are sources, I’d say Pruitt didn’t feel Cox would have been a good fit in Kville.
Those 4 signed. Don't think they'll get those back. And they can't really push a kid forward anymore, blueshirting is all but done away with. I'm guessing they had room to backcount, only taking 20 last year and 23 the year before (not sure how many transfers those years), guessing they had a spot or two of flexibility.

He’s applying for immediate eligibility and Mullen thinks he has a really good case

If this kid gets accepted before Solomon somebody in the NCAA offices need to lose their job
NCAA are no better than politicians. Whatever makes them money. A lot of the bigger more important blue blood schools seem to get their way

Reactions: SweetasSoda
He’s applying for immediate eligibility and Mullen thinks he has a really good case

If this kid gets accepted before Solomon somebody in the NCAA offices need to lose their job
If that happens I'd say F it and play Solomon this season no matter what the NCAA says. Take those sumbeaches to court.

Id say considering he was on an athletic scholarship and he was dismissed from the team, this should be an open and shut case.

These situations do sometimes bring up the chance of a "run off" waiver. A coach can't just pull a scholarship without good reason (ie, "he was playing poorly or had a bad attitude, so I kicked him off" is not allowed). So if a kid was pushed out with undue influence and claims he was run off, he may have a case. Which may be exactly why Kirby came out and said Brenton left on his own. The inverse may be why Mehlen thinks there is a case.

Could be an interesting cat and mouse game...and possible lying in the meantime. Let's so hope someone gets caught lying to the NCAA, preferrably both.

Reactions: SmokinBob
These situations do sometimes bring up the chance of a "run off" waiver. A coach can't just pull a scholarship without good reason (ie, "he was playing poorly or had a bad attitude, so I kicked him off" is not allowed). So if a kid was pushed out with undue influence and claims he was run off, he may have a case. Which may be exactly why Kirby came out and said Brenton left on his own. The inverse may be why Mehlen thinks there is a case.

Could be an interesting cat and mouse game...and possible lying in the meantime. Let's so hope someone gets caught lying to the NCAA, preferrably both.
Rumor is there was a fight between Cox and another player. Bunch of different stories about the fight, some more ridiculous than others. Maybe UF will go for the hostile environment route? If he kept getting in fights with teammates then he felt they run him off? Either way Mullen will say he feels good about it. Certainly wouldn’t help their cause if he said “any reasonable person would deny it but it doesn’t hurt to try.”

VN Store

Back