'18 AL ATH/RB Tae Provens

Apparently he's got ties to Auburn who will be the main competition and offered a few days before us. Here's what Gillespie told him taken from an interview John Garcia jr on scout.com.

""It's like coach [Robert] Gillespie, the running backs coach at Tennessee told me, 'don't marry the first girl you kiss,'" Provens said. "That was pretty funny.""

After getting one of his first scholarship offers from Tennessee more than two months ago, Tae Provens visited the Vols for the first time to participate in their final camp of the summer.
He’s already planning to make the trip again.
The three-star junior running back from Madison County High School in Gurley, Ala., said Tennessee is one of four schools standing out to him following his first visit with the Vols, and he’s hoping to attend at least one of their home games this season.
“It went good. I enjoyed it a lot,” said Provens, who’s ranked as the nation’s No. 296 overall prospect and No. 19 running back in the 2018 class. “They would be in my top (group), as of right now.”
The 6-foot, 190-pound Provens said Auburn, Southern California and Oklahoma State are the other teams standing out to him among his eight early offers.
Provens said he had “been planning to go up there” to take a firsthand look at Tennessee after staying in contact with Vols running backs coach Robert Gillespie in recent months, and they made a strong first impression on him during his recent trip to Knoxville.
He said he was particularly impressed by Gillespie, who talked extensively with him and worked with him on the field during the camp.
“The highlight of the visit for me would be Coach G. I really had a good time with him,” Provens said. “I knew he was going to be funny, but it was like I was talking to my dad or something like that. He’s funny. … It’s just one of those connections you get with somebody, and you just click right off the bat.
“He was real straight-up (during the camp) — no hands on your hips, no nothing like that. Don’t show your opponent that you’re tired. He was just straight-up.”
Gillespie apparently liked what he saw from Provens, too.
“He said I did good,” said Provens, who claims to have been timed at 4.56 seconds in the 40-yard dash. “He said (he liked) the speed, and he could do different things with me, like get me in the open or maybe a jet sweep or something like that.”
Provens also met with Tennessee head coach Butch Jones and offensive graduate assistant Cameron Clemmons while he was on campus, and he said the Vols’ coaches are among the things he likes most about them.
“They have a really good coaching staff there,” Provens said.
He was almost as impressed by some of Tennessee’s facilities — in particular, the barber shop located inside the Anderson Training Center.
“I’ve never seen a college have a barber shop. That was really unique, to have a barber shop on campus,” Provens said.
Auburn was the team he liked growing up, but he also has some family ties to Tennessee.
“My mom’s from Knoxville. She grew up there,” Provens said. “She likes Tennessee a lot. (But) wherever I want to go, she would just follow.”
While Provens doesn't have an official leader among the eight schools pursuing him, he added, “If I had to say, it’d be Auburn.” He said he already has visited the Tigers a handful of times, including twice this summer, and he’s planning to attend their season opener Sept. 3 against Clemson.
“Whenever you go down there, it’s just a family environment,” he said of Auburn.
With all eight of Provens’ offers having arrived within the past three months, he said he’s currently taking his time with the recruiting process. He said he’s still drawing interest from other teams, including Alabama, and he doesn’t plan to decide on a school until “next summer, going into my senior year.”
“I’m not planning (on deciding) any time soon,” he said. “I’m just focused on my team right now.”

R Callahan

Reactions: 1 person
"RB from Madison, Alabama was at junior day and told Austin that the Vols lead. We will have more in a story coming up.

Ole Miss, LSU, and Auburn are the other players involved."

- Hubbs

Reactions: 3 people
Three-star running back Tae Provens of Gurley, Ala., named Tennessee his leader after Saturday’s visit. Ole Miss, LSU and Auburn currently are the Vols’ primary competition for him, but he has been high on Tennessee for months and is plenty familiar with Knoxville, where his mother grew up and some of his family members still live. Provens already has developed strong relationships with Vols running backs coach Robert Gillespie and offensive graduate assistant Cameron Clemmons. Provens plans to be an early enrollee, and he’s hoping to make a decision by this summer. He said he “for sure” will visit Tennessee again this spring.

- 247 (Callahan)

Reactions: 3 people
I like this kids video a lot...tons of speed and agility along with good vision and balance

"I enjoyed it a lot," Provens said. "Coming up here and seeing coach Cam (Clemmons) and talking to coach (Butch) Jones and coach (Robert) Gillespie, I enjoyed it a lot. Everything stood out about it. It's a great place and great place to be. My mom was born and raised here. My sisters were born here as well." There was no leader coming into the weekend, but is there one coming out? "Tennessee," Provens said. "Number one."

"It's not all about football here," Provens said. "It's about building relationships. They are like my brothers. I don't really have the bond that I have here with the UT coaches at any other schools."

The relationship with Gillespie is pivotal for Provens. He understands that Tennessee needs more depth at running back and there is plenty of burn with Gillespie and his track record. "Everything," Provens said. "He keeps it real and he hasn't sugarcoated anything. He is probably one of the coaches that I can talk to with more than about football. It isn't just about football with him."

He also sees the potential to earn playing time early. He feels like his game translates well to the Tennessee offense. "I see the opportunity," Provens said. "Coach G says he sees me coming in and filling in the role of Alvin (Kamara). I'm just going to trust the process."

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
Somebody needs to tell Tae that we are actually number 3 for him right now according to 247, right behind Ok State but ahead of USC. Auburn leads. Luckily all of his top 4 are listed as warm so we still have a chance.

Reactions: 1 person
Somebody needs to tell Tae that we are actually number 3 for him right now according to 247, right behind Ok State but ahead of USC. Auburn leads. Luckily all of his top 4 are listed as warm so we still have a chance.

You do realize they are alphabetical order ?

Listed as an athlete/rb. Anyone know if we like him as a running back or have other plans for him?

VN Store

Back