'17 TN OT Obinna Eze (Memphis commit)

Not sure what is going on with recruiting but Butch needs to get his act together in recruiting FAST! Has he not figured out that cutting players is playing against him with the other schools??

I know he got some bad press and it went viral when the Hart kid in Memphis was cut unofficially from a year ago.

I want be surprised if we continue to lose in-state kids.

Every program has kids on the bubble that lose their spot if a better player commits. That would be one advantage to an early signing date.

I've recently been in an argument with others about the necessity to keep more instate players.... I believe it can be fixed once the underlying reasons are discovered.

The reason you cite may have some impact.... but it is simply impossible to change under the current rules. You can't hold an offer to a kid that will never contribute except on the scout team when a top tier prospect wants to commit. No one does it... not even low end programs like Memphis or UK.

No one ever complains when we get a highely rated player from a neighboring state...... It's cuts both ways

Every program has kids on the bubble that lose their spot if a better player commits. That would be one advantage to an early signing date.

I've recently been in an argument with others about the necessity to keep more instate players.... I believe it can be fixed once the underlying reasons are discovered.

The reason you cite may have some impact.... but it is simply impossible to change under the current rules. You can't hold an offer to a kid that will never contribute except on the scout team when a top tier prospect wants to commit. No one does it... not even low end programs like Memphis or UK.

The difference I see is most schools don't take 20 commitments in June and July hoping to attract better talent later so they can dump a bunch of the early commitments. It's like they are asking for negative publicity. I'm fine with filling a class up early. Texas use to do it every year. But if you do it, you need to know you're filling up with kids you're signing.

Reactions: 3 people
No one ever complains when we get a highely rated player from a neighboring state...... It's cuts both ways

I wouldn't say no one complains. Miami fans sure seemed pretty pissed when we took Tyler Byrd from them.

....oh and leb complains about any player we get. I swear, he complains about the first commit and already has it figured out how Butch screwed up by taking him.

The difference I see is most schools don't take 20 commitments in June and July hoping to attract better talent later so they can dump a bunch of the early commitments. It's like they are asking for negative publicity. I'm fine with filling a class up early. Texas use to do it every year. But if you do it, you need to know you're filling up with kids you're signing.

Rather see signing day booms

Not sure what is going on with recruiting but Butch needs to get his act together in recruiting FAST! Has he not figured out that cutting players is playing against him with the other schools??

I know he got some bad press and it went viral when the Hart kid in Memphis was cut unofficially from a year ago.

I want be surprised if we continue to lose in-state kids.

There are countless possibilities of ways in which you could arrange words in the English language to say anything you mean, but here you are, wasting your first post with this garbage. Delete account. Start over.

I wouldn't say no one complains. Miami fans sure seemed pretty pissed when we took Tyler Byrd from them.

....oh and leb complains about any player we get. I swear, he complains about the first commit and already has it figured out how Butch screwed up by taking him.

I prefer the final class prediction threads... Especially the big fish in December .. Classic

Rather see signing day booms

Eh, I don't really care. If the class is full, they are all getting a LOI, and needs are filled, I don't care if it's October or February. Getting a commitment or two on NSD is fun. Having it all locked in well before isn't a bad thing.

Depends on the communication with the kid.

And I would look for 5 or less of the current commits to be dropped. Some will be by their own choice.

It is conditional on both sides until the ink is dry.

Even among the 3* guys, some will look at the situation and decide a different school provides them with a better opportunity. UT's coaches may have to nudge some that way.

On rare occasion, the coaches have to pull an offer or make it clear that the recruit is no longer wanted.

Most of this is very subtle stuff.

Reactions: 1 person
Depends on the communication with the kid.

And I would look for 5 or less of the current commits to be dropped. Some will be by their own choice.

It is conditional on both sides until the ink is dry.

Even among the 3* guys, some will look at the situation and decide a different school provides them with a better opportunity. UT's coaches may have to nudge some that way.

On rare occasion, the coaches have to pull an offer or make it clear that the recruit is no longer wanted.

Most of this is very subtle stuff.

I do feel that's why our commits recruiting for us like in past years seems to have disappeared this cycle. They aren't even sure they will get to sign. Why help recruit if you're not sure they even take you on NSD? If I'm a kid like Burnam why help recruit say a LB on the coaches "wish list" when if I help secure his commitment, it may push me out.

Usually the recruits that recruit for a school are high profile, hence their influence. They are not worried if they will be "pushed out." I think we know very little about who is recruiting for us right now.

Reactions: 2 people
I do feel that's why our commits recruiting for us like in past years seems to have disappeared this cycle. They aren't even sure they will get to sign. Why help recruit if you're not sure they even take you on NSD? If I'm a kid like Burnam why help recruit say a LB on the coaches "wish list" when if I help secure his commitment, it may push me out.

I'd say that's much too simplistic.

It is more likely this class simply doesn't have on of those "guys". There aren't many in any given class that really work hard to sell a school to the point of getting noticed. Most will communicate with other recruits.

I have to agree with you again buddy. Butch knows what he's doing. The only part I'm not sure about your post is whether Butch knows what he has coming on NSD.

You even hint at that in your last sentence. He has to know what he might be getting if he's going to sign as many as he has to this point. Solid post buddy!

I'll concede that I may be wrong but I think something is off with recruiting. The early misses, the numerous offers to borderline prospects, the lack of success in-state, and the scramble (although successful) at the end of last cycle, all point to problems.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I'll concede that I may be wrong but I think something is off with recruiting. The early misses, the numerous offers to borderline prospects, the lack of success in-state, and the scramble (although successful) at the end of last cycle, all point to problems.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I've come to believe it is just a cascade effect...plus a lot of big timers just don't grow up thinking much of UT. We have got to be patient, and hope Butch can reestablish UT as a prominent destination. The problems are just magnified this year because so many of us were expecting a potential "greatest UT signing class ever" and literally everything has been working against us...Last years class will be remembered as the most underrated UT class of all time by us. I don't feel that way about this one right now, but I think that IF we win like we're supposed too there will be some Marquez C and Tyler B types added by signing day. There are a couple of guys committed right now, that I just don't see the highly underrated quality in. I am not going to name them individually because I don't like bashing commits. There are some like Henderson, Bembrey and Cotman that are badly underrated, and will remain so till they get here, and blow everybody away.

Maybe I'm wrong.

That's probably what happens when word gets out that you punch your players?

VN Store

Back