'17 GA QB Bailey Hockman

hockman said florida state, north carolina, tennessee, alabama and auburn make up his current top five, in no particular order.

“i liked it a lot. It’s a really good place,” said hockman, who’s ranked the nation’s no. 161 overall prospect and no. 8 pro-style quarterback in the 247sports composite for the 2017 class. “they’re top-three, top-four. They’re definitely in there. They always have (been).

“it just consolidates what i thought about it. It’s obviously a really good place.”

“i mean, it’s a really good position, just to walk in and maybe even possibly be the guy your freshman year. That’s a big deal,” said hockman, who also has been on recent visits to florida state and north carolina.

“josh dobbs will be a senior (this year), and it’ll be pretty open. I’d obviously have to compete for the job. But it would be a pretty good chance that i could come in and be the guy.”

Reactions: 2 people
just a thought. But I wonder if the staff wants to alternate recruiting pro style vs DT QBs based on the year? We seem to be hitting up more pro-style QBs this year after taking a DT last year. their recruiting history shows that they still go after pro styles even with DTs being a better fit. and Butch has used multiple quarterbacks before in a season without injury being THE reason.

It does a couple things, gives us options on the field if we need to put in a pro style; and it helps with recruiting. You can sell the WRs on your pro-style guys, or at least keep other schools from talking negative about it, and then with the QBs you can sell that you didn't take their style of QB the year before and have a better avenue to the starting role.

just a thought, would be interested if anyone agrees this is what the staff is doing.

just a thought. But I wonder if the staff wants to alternate recruiting pro style vs DT QBs based on the year? We seem to be hitting up more pro-style QBs this year after taking a DT last year. their recruiting history shows that they still go after pro styles even with DTs being a better fit. and Butch has used multiple quarterbacks before in a season without injury being THE reason.

It does a couple things, gives us options on the field if we need to put in a pro style; and it helps with recruiting. You can sell the WRs on your pro-style guys, or at least keep other schools from talking negative about it, and then with the QBs you can sell that you didn't take their style of QB the year before and have a better avenue to the starting role.

just a thought, would be interested if anyone agrees this is what the staff is doing.

To add to this thought process, we've apparently told Trevor Lawrence we're going to tailor the offense to fit him specifically if he comes.

Perhaps post Dobbs/Jones/Guarantano, we play Hockman before Lawrence if we land him as our offense transitions to a more pro style, passing attack based offense.

VN Store

Back