16 TX QB Jalen Hurts

Coach Punk

I’m not actually a coach
Lab Rat
1547152125579.jpeg

Unless you live under a rock, you know who this guy is and his story. Given his history with Alabama and Pruitt, could be a Vol this summer.

Where could Jalen Hurts play next year?

Tennessee Volunteers
Why it makes sense for Tennessee:While Jarrett Guarantano had his moments down the stretch last season, it's not as if the Vols couldn't use an upgrade at the quarterback position. That offense, which ranked 13th out of 14 teams in the SEC in scoring this past season, needs help. And coach Jeremy Pruitt, who is well acquainted with Hurts from his days as Alabama's defensive coordinator, knows he could use a playmaker of Hurts' caliber. What's more, Pruitt wants someone who can also take care of the ball, manage the game and aid in the running attack, and that fits Hurts to a tee. -- Scarborough

Why it makes sense for Hurts: The familiarity with Pruitt certainly helps Tennessee's chances, but the unanswered question is how the hiring of offensive coordinator Jim Chaney impacts the thought process. Chaney, you'll recall, didn't seem to know what to do with a similar dual-threat quarterback, Justin Fields, last season at Georgia. On top of that, the Vols don't appear to be ready to compete for an SEC East title. And after losing just three games in his Alabama career, it's hard to imagine Hurts coping well with a program that's not in contention -- Scarborough

Reactions: blouder1
Dude your Hurts take is silly. Take a lap.

Disagree. Hurts isn't some elite QB. We're not a one year rental QB away from winning the SEC East. And I'm not a fan of taking a spot away from next years class for a guy who is good, but not elite. Certainly not guaranteed of supplanting JG.

I mean, everyone thought Crompton was trash, and really, he was, until Chaney got to work with him. Turned him into a draftable QB within one year. I'd like to see what he could do with a JG.

.01% chance he comes here. If I were his dad and he asked me, I would tell him "don't even think @ it". For more than 1 reason.

I love how "Scarborough" sums up the UT situation but doesn't touch on the 20,000# elephant in the room. Our atrocious OL situation and the years it will take to fix it. There is no guarantee that Hurts beats out Guarantano at all. The main reason he should steer clear is that he will get hit harder than our RBs. We have no idea how he's perform in such a polar opposite world from UA. There he has elite and seasoned pass blocking to work against defenses terrified of an elite running game. Hurts has never experienced anything even close to what JG has, on his current team. His wheels would come in super handy were he to choose this QB war zone. Also, CJP seems pretty set on an offensive style that does not play to Jalen's best strengths.

JMO my guy w a day job opinion.

Disagree. Hurts isn't some elite QB. We're not a one year rental QB away from winning the SEC East. And I'm not a fan of taking a spot away from next years class for a guy who is good, but not elite. Certainly not guaranteed of supplanting JG.

I mean, everyone thought Crompton was trash, and really, he was, until Chaney got to work with him. Turned him into a draftable QB within one year. I'd like to see what he could do with a JG.

This I totally agree with!

On another note. I love how in 24 hours I've seen how Chaney turned Crompton around at UT 09'. For 9 straight year here, I don't think I've heard that once. It's been exclusively "Kiffin turned Crompton around" every single time. I have no idea which one, or neither did it. I'm just fascinated at how these things happen. :-D

.01% chance he comes here. If I were his dad and he asked me, I would tell him "don't even think @ it". For more than 1 reason.

I love how "Scarborough" sums up the UT situation but doesn't touch on the 20,000# elephant in the room. Our atrocious OL situation and the years it will take to fix it. There is no guarantee that Hurts beats out Guarantano at all. The main reason he should steer clear is that he will get hit harder than our RBs. We have no idea how he's perform in such a polar opposite world from UA. There he has elite and seasoned pass blocking to work against defenses terrified of an elite running game. Hurts has never experienced anything even close to what JG has, on his current team. His wheels would come in super handy were he to choose this QB war zone. Also, CJP seems pretty set on an offensive style that does not play to Jalen's best strengths.

The OL is going through a major rebuild, with NFL parts. Sorta like 2010, only with a better base. And Cheney not only improves all his QBs, he also has some pretty awesome lines. No wonder Pittman loves to work with him.

And if Hurts wants to be an NFL QUARTERBACK, then he’ll want to come to an offense that will teach him how to do that. Thusly, Chaney.

Hurts will not go to FAU, that doesn't help his draft stock.....Congrats Mr. Hurts you helped beat C-USA guys. I could see any one of these schools being a possibility as all of these schools are inside of the top 50 rankings and either need a QB or he has a Connection to the staff.
-Kentucky
-Miss St
-Auburn
-NC State
-Duke
-Arizona St
-Maryland
There are obviously more but I tried to stick with schools that would be in a place to compete next year and could make him look good.

Hurts will not go to FAU, that doesn't help his draft stock.....Congrats Mr. Hurts you helped beat C-USA guys. I could see any one of these schools being a possibility as all of these schools are inside of the top 50 rankings and either need a QB or he has a Connection to the staff.
-Kentucky
-Miss St
-Auburn
-NC State
-Duke
-Arizona St
-Maryland
There are obviously more but I tried to stick with schools that would be in a place to compete next year and could make him look good.
Do you know where Carson Wentz went to school? Kareem Hunt? Jerry Rice? There’s thousands more. Playing at FAU wouldn’t hurt draft stock

Seriously doubt Hurts comes to UT... BUT... With Hurts UT wins more games and gets a better bowl bid which helps the future of the program. I don't know if he would be a more effective passer though he has been- Not an apples to apples comparison. He IS a far more effective runner... which would immediately help UT's O and OL.

UT isn't a "one year rental QB" away from winning the East. UT could be a 1 year rental and 8 to 9 wins away from pulling in some even better recruits to compliment whoever wins the battle between Shrout, Maurer, and Bailey.

Maybe you are right. Maybe Chaney is the guy who can really turn the light on for JG. But I'm skeptical based on the last two years.

Do you know where Carson Wentz went to school? Kareem Hunt? Jerry Rice? There’s thousands more. Playing at FAU wouldn’t hurt draft stock

I get that and yes I knew that, those guys also weren't benched do to being outplayed. If he is a competitor he'll go play big boy football. I'd be surprised if he went to FAU thats all I'm saying.

This want happen doesn't make sense for him or Tennessee what so ever.

Gary-Coleman-Confused-Gif-On-Diffrent-Strokes.gif

I love how "Scarborough" sums up the UT situation but doesn't touch on the 20,000# elephant in the room. Our atrocious OL situation and the years it will take to fix it.
The QB by being a decisive passer or runner can make the OL better. Bray did it with his passing decisions. Dobbs did it with his running decisions. JG doesn't do good pre-snap reads and is slow to make decisions. If you want to see direct proof just compare the number of sacks he took to Dormady. The same OL suddenly gave up a ton of sacks after the change. IIRC, they only gave up 3 or 4 with Dormady and around 30 with JG.

There is no guarantee that Hurts beats out Guarantano at all. The main reason he should steer clear is that he will get hit harder than our RBs. We have no idea how he's perform in such a polar opposite world from UA. There he has elite and seasoned pass blocking to work against defenses terrified of an elite running game. Hurts has never experienced anything even close to what JG has, on his current team. His wheels would come in super handy were he to choose this QB war zone. Also, CJP seems pretty set on an offensive style that does not play to Jalen's best strengths.

You underestimate how much of the fault lies with JG. Not all of it. Maybe not even a majority of it. But the QB has to be able to make a snap decision and make the right play. JG thinks too long/slow.

JMO another guy w/ a day job opinion.

Hurts isnt coming here but he is a MASSIVE upgrade over JG in big time game experience at least. He would supplant JG the day he stepped on campus. Jg leaves, Hurts plays one year we win 9 and here comes Bailey with Shrout and Mauer already in the system. Hurts is worth a spot. Hell he's worth two.

So you guys believe that this kid should come here and play behind a bad offensive line try to beat out JG and spend his last year in college either on the bench or getting beat to death. Then after all of that when he struggles passing the ball which is his major issue you will complain about us having a running QB and say we need a pocket passer. REALLY

Reactions: Sleegro
So you guys believe that this kid should come here and play behind a bad offensive line try to beat out JG and spend his last year in college either on the bench or getting beat to death. Then after all of that when he struggles passing the ball which is his major issue you will complain about us having a running QB and say we need a pocket passer. REALLY
Its not gonna happen but let us pretend.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
I don't think Hurts will transfer to an SEC school. OU would be my guess but wouldn't he have a blast with the ole Pirate at WSU.

Reactions: LittleVol
Duplicate post. Hurts would be worth it.
I started this thread because I was surprised just how many people thought Hurts just waltzes in and puts JG in the transfer portal. I just don’t get it. Although I’d love to have both talents at the same time. Because I love having lots of talent.

Reactions: Sleegro
Hurts is a quantum leap over JG, but he is not dumb enough to come here. He has too many better options out there.

VN Store

Back