'16 TN F John Fulkerson (UT commit 11/6/15)

Williams and parker it seems right now

Williams not highly rated

Parker is

This. But who knows who comes available in another couple of weeks or months. A couple of weeks ago there were no mentions of us with Kwe Parker and that changed quickly. I'm hoping we get Parker and hold out on Williams and keep an extra scholarship open for the spring/summer because there are usually a handful of top 100 players that either leave because of a coaching change, rise up the rankings, or just haven't signed yet. Not to mention grad transfers and highly ranked JUCO's. I'm not a fan of getting Wiliams. Fulk was ok for me because I think there is potential there. Williams to me looks like a 2 gaurd playing the 4 or 5.

Just remember, a coach can change the quality of a basketball roster much, much quicker than football. It only takes one super player, or two very good players to change a team's fortunes. And HS to college is much easier for good basketball players. Don't let this 1st year's commits influence your confidence or lack of confidence in CRB. I think it may take a year or two to build new relationships with new recruits. Wait at least 2 years before a panic sets in.
not a valid excuse. What the heck has Barnes been doing the last few years? He ought to have relationships out the wazoo.
Howland has been out of coaching for two years and yet he is landing a class of top 100 prosprects. And that is to freaking Starkville.

Just remember, a coach can change the quality of a basketball roster much, much quicker than football. It only takes one super player, or two very good players to change a team's fortunes. And HS to college is much easier for good basketball players. Don't let this 1st year's commits influence your confidence or lack of confidence in CRB. I think it may take a year or two to build new relationships with new recruits. Wait at least 2 years before a panic sets in.

Very good post.

Won't deter the folks that live by the why wait for tom when you can bi t CH about it today creed. But good one all the same.

Last edited:
All the people are grumbling about his talent. Watch this kid turn into Gordon Hayward 2.0. Welcome aboard John!

Last edited:
This. But who knows who comes available in another couple of weeks or months. A couple of weeks ago there were no mentions of us with Kwe Parker and that changed quickly. I'm hoping we get Parker and hold out on Williams and keep an extra scholarship open for the spring/summer because there are usually a handful of top 100 players that either leave because of a coaching change, rise up the rankings, or just haven't signed yet. Not to mention grad transfers and highly ranked JUCO's. I'm not a fan of getting Wiliams. Fulk was ok for me because I think there is potential there. Williams to me looks like a 2 gaurd playing the 4 or 5.

Yep. Never know who pops up next

Last week I didn't even know who parker was and now I think he is a real possibility

Williams and parker it seems right now

Williams not highly rated

Parker is

I agree. But Williams is like Dane Bradshaw to his current team. He is a glue guy. He might help next year. He might not. Some guys just do not have the measureables but still get it done on the court. I hope Williams is a guy like that!

@JamieShaw5: Fulkerson is a Top 100 type kid, who will be a late bloomer. His college career will far outplay his HS ranking

Fwiw Jamie Shaw is a very well respected scout in the southeast region and has seen Fulkerson play more than just about anyone. He has Fulkerson ranked ahead of both Kwe Parker and Jalen Johnson, and right behind top 75 ranked Jay Huff, in his North Carolina rankings.

Trust me I understand your opinion but it's not about comparing the results of the past for me. It's about projecting the direction of those coaches and programs. To me martin was learning and his recruiting was evolving as well. Not to say I saw that at the time but now looking back I think martin would have been a very solid coach here

JohnMcA60 already stole a lot of my thunder, but did very well in doing so, but your follow-up argument almost works against itself.

You seem to making a case for Cuonzo Martin now, but I'd be curious where you stood on him on the night of February 22nd, 2014. Tennessee had just lost in OT to a Texas A&M team that would finish 2 games over .500, and Tennessee sat at 16-11 (7-7 in SEC). Our NCAA tournament hopes were very much on life support before the loss, and that game was a killer.

You know the rest of the story. Tennessee went on to win their next 5 games against a good Missouri team at home and then 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the SEC standings before losing to Florida in the SEC tournament. If Tennessee loses one of those games, they don't make the play-in game of the NCAA tournament, and Zo is 0-3 in that regard despite having at least 3 NBA players on his roster.

You're making a case for a coach who made the NCAA tournament one time in three years by the slimmest of margins as some sort of predictor of his future. The same man who had lost nearly all fan, booster, and administration's faith just a month earlier. Yet, Barnes, who finished his career at Texas having missed the NCAA tournament once in 17 years has to prove himself to you.

So set the record straight for me; you'd take the Cuonzo Martin of April 2014 over the Rick Barnes of April 2015? Is that correct?

Jerry Meyer of 247 compared him Fulkerson to former Duke player Ryan Kelly, he did add obviously he's not as good, but said that's the type of player he is for those who remember Kelly.

JohnMcA60 already stole a lot of my thunder, but did very well in doing so, but your follow-up argument almost works against itself.

You seem to making a case for Cuonzo Martin now, but I'd be curious where you stood on him on the night of February 22nd, 2014. Tennessee had just lost in OT to a Texas A&M team that would finish 2 games over .500, and Tennessee sat at 16-11 (7-7 in SEC). Our NCAA tournament hopes were very much on life support before the loss, and that game was a killer.

You know the rest of the story. Tennessee went on to win their next 5 games against a good Missouri team at home and then 4 of the bottom 5 teams in the SEC standings before losing to Florida in the SEC tournament. If Tennessee loses one of those games, they don't make the play-in game of the NCAA tournament, and Zo is 0-3 in that regard despite having at least 3 NBA players on his roster.

You're making a case for a coach who made the NCAA tournament one time in three years by the slimmest of margins as some sort of predictor of his future. The same man who had lost nearly all fan, booster, and administration's faith just a month earlier. Yet, Barnes, who finished his career at Texas having missed the NCAA tournament once in 17 years has to prove himself to you.

So set the record straight for me; you'd take the Cuonzo Martin of April 2014 over the Rick Barnes of April 2015? Is that correct?

I admitted I didn't see CCM the same way then. In fact I was very anti CCM. That should tell you how anti I am about Barnes now to say what I am saying.

Now richardson and Waspun performances as seniors are very much apart of my feeling about CCM stock rising and especially the recruiting he has done at cal has been very impressive

Last edited:
I admitted I didn't see CCM the same way then. In fact I was very anti CCM. That should tell you how anti I am about Barnes now to say what I am saying.

Now richardson and Waspun performances as seniors are very much apart of my feeling about CCM stock rising and especially the recruiting he has done at cal has been very impressive

Wes Washpun is way overrated by our fanbase

Reactions: 1 person

So why don't you trust CRB's evaultions? Check his record on putting players in the leaue.

You drive yourself crazy over analyzing ****.

Reactions: 2 people

That's how I thought you'd answer, which is specifcally why I made sure to phrase my question to include Cuonzo when he left Tennessee in April 2014, not Cuonzo today.

You can't judge Barnes before even coaching a game at Tennessee, and at the same time, give Zo credit for what he's accomplished at Cal. That isn't a fair comparison.

That's how I thought you'd answer, which is specifcally why I made sure to phrase my question to include Cuonzo when he left Tennessee in April 2014, not Cuonzo today.

You can't judge Barnes before even coaching a game at Tennessee, and at the same time, give Zo credit for what he's accomplished at Cal. That isn't a fair comparison.

I can judge them both for where they are exactly right now. That was the point. One stock is rising and one is falling. I am not particularly fond of Either

I can judge them both for where they are exactly right now. That was the point. One stock is rising and one is falling. I am not particularly fond of Either

Might want to compare the state of the programs each inherited.
also might help to look at the purpose of the hire.
Barnes is here pretty much to build a program from scratch.
Cuonzo is the cheap hire young coach, possibly with a future (time will tell) brought in to follow a program that has had solid footing, but needs the jump to the next level.
i liked Martin but not real sure he's guaranteed success.

VN Store

Back