'15 WI DT Kahlil McKenzie (UT Signee 2/4/15)

While most recruits across the country take a step back from the process after committing to their school of choice, McKenzie has put on more steam as he scours the country for future teammates.

McKenzie isn't shy about his 'job' either. While some recruits use social media as an escape from the recruiting process, Kahlil uses it as a platform. He currently has 14,926 followers on Twitter and they are all subjected to the same Big Orange message, day in and day out.

..."Tennessee is home to me," McKenzie recently told RTI. “"It means everything to me. My family has our roots there and I want to do everything I can to help Tennessee win football games. Right now, before I get there, I'm doing that by trying to get the best recruiting class ever to Tennessee."

McKenzie Continues to Recruit for Vols | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: 5 people
"It's extremely hard for me," McKenzie said. "Especially since I've played it my whole life, played it my whole life. Not being able to play has been tough. But, my teammates are great guys, my coaches are great, my school is great and so it's been nice to have a supporting cast like that. All of that has made it somewhat bearable. But, I miss being out there."

"But, I'm out there every single day of practice, watching film with the guys and trying to help them become better and better on the defensive line. But, I try and help offensive linemen, too, because I played that earlier in my high school career, too. I'm trying to help my team whatever way I can. It helps you become a better teammate and it puts things in a lot better perspective about how quickly things can be gone for you. It's been a great learning experience but just not one you'd want to have. But, maybe one everyone needs."

"Especially since I'm not able to play, this game is going to mean everything to me. I missed my senior year so it's going to be everything I worked for, to be recognized as a high school all-American. Unfortunately, that's going to be the only game I get to play my senior year but it is the only game I am going to play my senior year so I'm going to play like crazy. I can tell you that. I'm going to try and show out for everybody. For every coach I've had, everyone that's supported me, my family, all the Vol fans. It's a big deal to me."

I tell them, 'I know you have offers to Alabama or Oklahoma or places that are winning and have established themselves. 'That's fine and dandy. You can go and do that. But, There's something special about building something up and returning something to greatness and the excitement that brings with the fans and the city and the state and how you can go in and totally change something and be a part of a changing culture.' That's my pitch to guys."

-VQ

Reactions: 22 people
Doc Jeff and Heather?

I'll have to admit I've never heard any of them claim to know anything about football recruiting. Doc is knowledgeable about women's BB and he and Jeff both know a little baseball and Heather knows volleyball. Other than that they just like to hear themselves talk. I don't understand why the owners of that group can't hire some former UT football, basketball and baseball players to do some shows. Most of the listeners that matter are UT fans and want to listen to people that know something and are at least familiar with the sport they are talking about and actually like UT. I believe out of everyone that's on from 6:00am to 7:00 pm there are only three UT grads, all the rest are imported carpetbaggers that have diarrhea of the mouth.
JMO FWIW

A local radio show just said that Kahlil will probably end up being an O lineman. This is a joke right?

I heard it - that was Heather Harrington stating that she thought Kahlil will be converted into an OT. She obviously hasn't seen the video from the Nike combine where Kahlil was just wearing out the OTs and tossing them around like little rag dolls.

He's gonna destroy some OL in the game. Kid is good enough that he would wear some folks out anyway but after being off the field his entire senior year, someone may get embarrassed. Can't wait to watch him repping the VOLS.

VN Store

Back