'15 TN DE Kyle Phillips (UT commit 1/3/15)

HOW DOES PHILLIPS FIT IN?

At 6-4, 260 pounds Phillips offers a big edge presence but plays lighter on his feet and his adept at getting in the backfield.

All week at the Army Game practices Phillips has turned heads and made the top performers list three days this week for the East squad. Why?

He plays with good leverage and strength and he plays with a good tenacity and toughness and brings a lot of athleticism for a guy his size.

Tennessee has to continue to upgrade their talent on the defensive line as they didn't have enough depth throughout the season. Derek Barnett will be a mainstay on the line for at least two more years but continuing to add depth and pieces around him is vital and Tennessee was able to do just that in adding Phillips.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR TENNESSEE?

Tennessee already has one of the top defensive line classes in the country with four 4-star defensive line commitments and grabbing Phillips only makes the class stronger.

At defensive end, Tennessee now can trot out some really talented and athletic players that are all somewhat unique from one another. In Darrell Taylor and Marques Ford you have two true edge rushing guys. With Andrew Butcher you have an athletic end that continues to get stronger and can do multiple things.

With Phillips, he's the biggest of the group and could probably play at around 270 pounds. or even bigger if he can maintain his athleticism.

Big picture, this probably puts the finishing touches on the defensive line class for the Vols and really becomes one of the best defensive line classes in some time for Tennessee. Especially given that Shy Tuttle, Butcher and Phillips are all scheduled to be early enrollees and on campus next week.

SCOUTING REPORT ON PHILLIPS

Now we turn to Southeast Recruiting Analyst Woody Wommack for his take on Phillips:

"Kyle Phillips is a great pick up for Tennessee as an instate prospect at position where you could see him having a chance to come in and contribute early. After bouncing back from a shoulder injury his junior season and starting the process to getting back at Five-Star Challenge were he really did more than expected there. He had a great season as he lead his team to the state championship game and then you know going into the off-season events here's a guy who's had an impressive last few months.

"You talk about a big physical guy, very athletic and a guy that we hold in high regard. I think getting him and then getting it at the last minute especially in Nashville with the other teams from the SEC pushing hard is a great victory for the Vols."
-VQ.

Reactions: 8 people
I think Phillips was going to Tennessee the whole time. He just wanted to play the recruiting game was all.

Reactions: 3 people
Funny to read all these comments now that Kyle has committed. So many people were saying they didn't want him because it shouldn't be such a hard decision to be a Vol. Many posters also said he will transfer after a year because he can't make his mind up. Eat your crow because now he is a gift from God.

Reactions: 4 people
I guess the list of Jackson does not hurt so bad could have been an OT but nooooooi

He really hurt himself by not considering the position change. Vandy is the Titanic of college football programs, and anyone on board is going down with her. If he gets stuck at Vandy, it'll be a waste of good talent just like Jelks, etc

Wow...kid is a straight beast. Very glad he's playing for the good guys. He will play opposite of Barnett in 2 years. Barnett and Maggitt next year, then Barnett and Phillips after that...yes sir! I'll allow it!

"I made my final decision (Friday) night when I met with my mom for dinner, and we decided as a family that Tennessee was the best option for me," Phillips, a freakishly athletic presence with exceptionally long arms that make blocking him problematic for foes, shared with VolQuest.com this morning.

"Post-graduate opportunities that I will have from the University of Tennessee, and I think their program is going in the right direction and I want to be a part of it," Phillips, who surged to national prominence as a recruit from his work with Nashville-based National Playmakers Academy and In Full Motion, with Buck Fitzgerald, said of the final factors.

"Very relieved," Phillips said of ending the process. "My three options were all very good options, and it was really tough to make the decision on one school out of the bunch."

"It was good to see that they played so well; I didn't get to see most of it, but it was good to see Tennessee have such a great performance," Phillips said. "You know, one of the deciding factors was meeting and spending time with Steve Stripling and John Jancek and getting to know them better on my (official) visit. That was really an important factor."

"That's a big plus. I know I'll be comfortable there with guys that I've known for a long time and have a good relationship with. I know I'll be comfortable at the University of Tennessee," he said. "It was really important. I'm a family-oriented person, and my mother has been a great inspiration to me. It's important to me that my mom and my family get to see me play as often as possible."
-VQ.

Reactions: 11 people
He'll be what we wanted Hendrix to be IMO.
I'll be honest, I never liked hendrix. I thought his film was lacking and the end of his recruitment was very weird. I'm not just saying that because he is gone either because yesterday showed how badly we needed him for depth.

Wow...kid is a straight beast. Very glad he's playing for the good guys. He will play opposite of Barnett in 2 years. Barnett and Maggitt next year, then Barnett and Phillips after that...yes sir! I'll allow it!

Unfortunately, he will only get to start opposite of Barnett one year as Barnett will go pro after his junior year if he continues to develop.

Amadi at LSU like:

mark-vs-ref-o.gif

Unfortunately, he will only get to start opposite of Barnett one year as Barnett will go pro after his junior year if he continues to develop.

Absolutely! Nothing wrong with that...putting DEs into the league in 3 years makes recruiting even better. I think Kyle can play WDE until Barnett goes pro, then can take over SDE and not miss a beat.

My ridiculous conspiracy theory:

KP was a silent. CBJ coached him up so the commit would have the maximum effect.

VN Store

Back