'15 TN ATH Jaylond Woods (UT Commit 4/20/13)

Originally Posted by volsgb95:
Randall was never a UT fan anyways so we didnt have a advantage over him for being a local kid
So far from the truth. This I know first hand

Well i am best friends with his sister and have went to his house on many occasions and if he says he was never a UT fan then i believe Randall.....

Cobb back in Neyland | Mobile TFP

The Knoxville-area star sold hot dogs in Neyland Stadium as a child, and he dreamed of one day running into its famed checkerboard end zones. But circumstances change. The Alcoa High School quarterback committed to Kentucky well before Tennessee tried to swoop in late and steal his signature, but he stood by his word and became a Wildcat.

Cobb back in Neyland | Mobile TFP

The Knoxville-area star sold hot dogs in Neyland Stadium as a child, and he dreamed of one day running into its famed checkerboard end zones. But circumstances change. The Alcoa High School quarterback committed to Kentucky well before Tennessee tried to swoop in late and steal his signature, but he stood by his word and became a Wildcat.

Hmmmmmm. Guess he and his sister didn't talk much, then. Never mind all of that UT stuff he had in his room. :popcorn:

Does anyone think prep school could be an option for this young man? May be a good route for him to take if he is ineligible. That would give him somewhere to play for the next year or two.

Does anyone think prep school could be an option for this young man? May be a good route for him to take if he is ineligible. That would give him somewhere to play for the next year or two.

He needs to graduate from high school first.

Prep schools don't do much good if a prospective student/athlete doesn't have his core average. Preps schools can bridge while they work on getting their ACT/SAT scores up, but it doesn't help the high school core average. About the only option without a core score is to go to a juco and graduate to become eligible. If one uses a redshirt year in juco then they have three left to play three.

If you are talking about a private high school, then that's another situation all together, but this particular student has been ruled ineligible by the TSSAA. He would have to go out of state at this point, and there aren't a whole lot of boarding high schools that aren't already in session, plus there is the cost factor involved.

Things just aren't as easy as deciding to go somewhere else at this point. Logistics make it a problem.

Last edited:

Maybe he could take the route Justin Martin took. Just take the GED and then go to Juco for a year. It looks like it's going to work out for Justin, maybe Jaylond could pass the GED and not lose much time.

WTNZ (WBIR) News just had a story about Jaylond's being ruled ineligible. They interviewed both Jaylond and his mother. WTNZ reported the TSSAA said the Lenior City Principal simply has to send a letter that says Jaylond did not transfer due to disciplinary issues.

So what you are saying is that VN has written him off as not going to academically qualify to enroll at UT next fall?

So what you are saying is that VN has written him off as not going to academically qualify to enroll at UT next fall?

With him not being qualified to even play HS football this year, I would think playing at UT next year would be about out of the question. IMO he is no longer a commitment.

Reactions: 2 people
With him not being qualified to even play HS football this year, I would think playing at UT next year would be about out of the question. IMO he is no longer a commitment.

I see it that way as well. Also agree that it would be great to finish the class with Richmond and Tuttle. No need to worry about numbers until we get to 25. Still would love to have Phillips but I believe a position of need is CB if there are any "extra" spots.

So beyond what WTNZ is reporting, does anyone know what's going on here? I have a bunch of alumni friends trying to raise money to file a lawsuit for him to be able to play. What's the difference in D Middleton and Woods situation? Other than DM being younger.

I'm just observing this and do not live in Clinton but apparently they are getting pretty heated over across the Clinch.

So beyond what WTNZ is reporting, does anyone know what's going on here? I have a bunch of alumni friends trying to raise money to file a lawsuit for him to be able to play. What's the difference in D Middleton and Woods situation? Other than DM being younger.

I'm just observing this and do not live in Clinton but apparently they are getting pretty heated over across the Clinch.

I think we have some of the same friends. :)

And I don't understand the difference either. I figure there must be a LOT more to this story we don't know.

Based on what I know, Woods was facing some kind of "disciplinary action" when he left LC, and that is the key difference, I believe. The way I understand the rule, if a student is facing legitimate disciplinary issues and decides to transfer (even with a legitimate change of residence), that individual isn't eligible to play for his new school the following year. Which would certainly explain all of the talk about LC not writing the necessary letter to the TSSAA to get him eligible at Clinton. On top of that, there was also some kind of academic issue (summer class) that may or may not have been taken care of.

In Middleton's case, he wasn't facing any kind of immediate disciplinary action at Powell (despite all of his previous issues), and apparently he was academically eligible, which allowed him to be immediately eligible after moving to OR (even after practicing with Powell this summer).

I noticed woods is not listed as a current commitment in the "current commits" thread. Is this speculation or has he decommitted/been dropped?

There has been talk of him not making it in due to grades, and he is not even playing his senior year of high school football. He keeps saying he is committed but apparently has a lot of work to do to keep his spot.

Many think he will be recruited over.

There has been talk of him not making it in due to grades, and he is not even playing his senior year of high school football. He keeps saying he is committed but apparently has a lot of work to do to keep his spot.

Many think he will be recruited over.

Curious to see how this one plays out. With him not playing football as a SR, maybe he can focus on the grades and get the class work done. I figured with him not playing this year, UT would probably go in another direction. McKenzie is not playing this year, I'd guess UT will still take him. Maybe the same goes for Jaylond if he can get the grades in order.

VN Store

Back