'15 P Tommy Townsend (UT Signee 2/4/15)

Butch has to be planning on using the ole blueshirt thing again this class, if we are going to get everyone we want into this class without oversigning. Maybe Woods or a couple of other in-state kids are going to blueshirt, greyshirt, walk-on or something. Recruiting is getting crazy, and it's only June!! Recruiting is so much fun now with a competent staff!

Butch has to be planning on using the ole blueshirt thing again this class, if we are going to get everyone we want into this class without oversigning. Maybe Woods or a couple of other in-state kids are going to blueshirt, greyshirt, walk-on or something. Recruiting is getting crazy, and it's only June!! Recruiting is so much fun now with a competent staff!

You got that right!

I wonder since they offered this kid, if they know they've got a good handle on the rest of the open spots. Of course we are sans proven punter at the moment.

Who did we blueshirt last year?

Ricky Townsend was a kicker for Tennessee in the early 1970's, is this kid connected to him?

He would have had him late in life if that's the case. If the kid was born in 1996, then Ricky would have been like 47 years old.

townsend-action.jpg

Ricky Townsend
1972, 1973
Placekicker
Dalton, Ga.

Ricky Townsend's foot propelled him to All-America status his sophomore and junior seasons after he became the Vols' first barefoot placekicker.

"Coach (Bill) Batttle happened to be watching and he said I was kicking better barefooted, so I've done it that way ever since," Townsend once said.

Townsend, a former quarterback and linebacker turned kicker, kicked 33 field goals and 72 extra points in his career for a total of 171 points. His 60 points in 1973 led the Vols in scoring. He also handled kickoff duties, booting long bombs consistently during his tenure.

Reactions: 3 people
Who did we blueshirt last year?

Yeah, I'm not buying into the whole blueshirt thing. I'd guess it's as simple as CBJ sees a Punter as something he needs to add and the *'s are not going to dictate how he fills out the class. It's pretty obvious either we are passing on some VERY good talent or our recruiting board is not as attractive as we think.

Yeah, I'm not buying into the whole blueshirt thing. I'd guess it's as simple as CBJ sees a Punter as something he needs to add and the *'s are not going to dictate how he fills out the class. It's pretty obvious either we are passing on some VERY good talent or our recruiting board is not as attractive as we think.

How did you deduce that? We need a punter, we got one. The End.

Reactions: 3 people
yeah, i'm not buying into the whole blueshirt thing. I'd guess it's as simple as cbj sees a punter as something he needs to add and the *'s are not going to dictate how he fills out the class. It's pretty obvious that we are taking more players than some think.

fyp

Reactions: 2 people

It does appear that the coaches fully intend to over sign. Even if they take the max, a lot of "takes" clearly won't be. The fact that CBJ takes a P, shows the "rankings" and the *'s don't matter much at all. He is filling needs and "best available" is probably not really in play.

Reactions: 1 person
Thought this was a joke at first. LOL. Those few highlights on there are impressive. He's lanky too, just wait till he puts on some muscle.
Muscle really doesn't do a darn thing for kickers. Same with baseball pitchers. They don't have to have protruding muscles to kick the ball far/throw a baseball fast.

Muscle really doesn't do a darn thing for kickers. Same with baseball pitchers. They don't have to have protruding muscles to kick the ball far/throw a baseball fast.

I guess I grew accustomed to the 6-4 225-pound Colquitt clan haha! Good point, though, Palardy looked light in the lower body and he was awesome at punting.

THIS....a bunch of posters on 247 are complaining about offering a punter scholarships....KICKERS MAY BE AMONG THE TOP FIVE MOST IMPORTANT PLAYERS ON YOUR TEAM....Where this idea that we don't offer kickers and punter scholarships came from I'm not sure....But if you cant flip the field your defense is in trouble over an entire season....and besides...walk on kickers that are worth a hoot earn scholarships away....by the way...as far as the numbers go....we still haven't seen the last of timely transfers going on....so lets realize we're not in the war room and CBJ and company are....This must be a great pick up or we wouldn't have offered....
This all day.

He would have had him late in life if that's the case. If the kid was born in 1996, then Ricky would have been like 47 years old.

townsend-action.jpg

Ricky Townsend
1972, 1973
Placekicker
Dalton, Ga.

Ricky Townsend's foot propelled him to All-America status his sophomore and junior seasons after he became the Vols' first barefoot placekicker.

"Coach (Bill) Batttle happened to be watching and he said I was kicking better barefooted, so I've done it that way ever since," Townsend once said.

Townsend, a former quarterback and linebacker turned kicker, kicked 33 field goals and 72 extra points in his career for a total of 171 points. His 60 points in 1973 led the Vols in scoring. He also handled kickoff duties, booting long bombs consistently during his tenure.

I turned 50 Friday. I have a 3 year old son.

Not too far fetched. :hi:

Reactions: 5 people
Kickers don't deserve a scholarship... until the game is on the line then you'll reconsider.

Yeah, I have no issue with K/P/LS getting scholarships. If a kid can win/lose you a game any night out, you better make sure you a quality option out there. Usually if you want one of the best, it's going to cost you a scholarship. Just pay thhe price.

VN Store

Back