'15 JUCO RB Alvin Kamara (UT commit 6/21/14)

We got three rbs in the 14 class. Adding AK next year, w/o any RS, would put him in the same class. That would be 4 soph rbs. Thats alot.

idk...maybe they RS Paulk or Scott.

Technically he would have been the back for the class before that we missed on signing one

We got three rbs in the 14 class. Adding AK next year, w/o any RS, would put him in the same class. That would be 4 soph rbs. Thats alot.

Paulk will RS, IMO. No reason not to have 5-6 quality backs, they can all get enough reps to make it to the league if they're good enough, and they won't be beat up when they do get there.

Paulk would be the safe bet. He's coming off of a knee injury, and a redshirt year could do him well in his rehab and getting use to the college game.

Reactions: 2 people
Paulk will RS, IMO. No reason not to have 5-6 quality backs, they can all get enough reps to make it to the league if they're good enough, and they won't be beat up when they do get there.

He would be my bet too....as long as injuries dont force us.

I could actually see Scott as a possible RS as well. If you look at last year our #3 RB had about 20 carries total for the year. Neal and Lane shared 300+ carries. I'd expect Hurd and Lane to do that this year. IF our #3 is looking at 25-30 carries for the year, I'd just RS him rather than burning a year. If there is an injury, of course then you pull the RS off him. JMO

I could actually see Scott as a possible RS as well. If you look at last year our #3 RB had about 20 carries total for the year. Neal and Lane shared 300+ carries. I'd expect Hurd and Lane to do that this year. IF our #3 is looking at 25-30 carries for the year, I'd just RS him rather than burning a year. If there is an injury, of course then you pull the RS off him. JMO

I agree to a point, but part of why those two took all the carries was the others weren't any good. I'd think it's preferable to split the load more if there isn't a huge drop-off, especially when someone like Scott offers something different than Hurd and Lane.

Reactions: 3 people

Lane, Hurd, Young

I agree to a point, but part of why those two took all the carries was the others weren't any good. I'd think it's preferable to split the load more if there isn't a huge drop-off, especially when someone like Scott offers something different than Hurd and Lane.

Yeah, if they can get him 75+ carries I'd say let him play.

How? We have 4 capable RBs right now. One of those will be gone before AK steps on the field. Take Reid and AK this class and call it a day. Take 2 more in 2016, and then we will have legit SEC RB depth.

Who are the 4 capable RB's?

And you really cant have enough quality RB's in this day and age with how often they are getting injured now. Especially the smaller, scat back types.

I think they'd take Kamara for sure and one more HS guy if he's an elite type guy (like a Bryce Love).

Reactions: 1 person

A lot of that had to do with the enormous drop off in talent at RB from the #2 to the #3 guy. I seriously doubt Scott redshirts. With the history of Lane's injuries I bet Scott plays a lot next year. The minute he steps on campus he'll at the very least be the 2nd most talented RB on the roster.

A lot of that had to do with the enormous drop off in talent at RB from the #2 to the #3 guy. I seriously doubt Scott redshirts. With the history of Lane's injuries I bet Scott plays a lot next year. The minute he steps on campus he'll at the very least be the 2nd most talented RB on the roster.

Strong words. I think I'd take Hurd and Lane to start the year. Lane was effective everytime they let him play.

Strong words. I think I'd take Hurd and Lane to start the year. Lane was effective everytime they let him play.

Yeah I agree. I wasn't saying Scott would be ahead of Lane on the depth chart. I just said he's more talented. Lane is solid though and there is something to be said about his returning experience. I just hope he can stay healthy, his durability is definitely an issue. Regardless, I don't think Scott redshirts. You need 3 capable RB's that you can count on, last year they simply didn't have 3.

Yeah I agree. I wasn't saying Scott would be ahead of Lane on the depth chart. I just said he's more talented. Lane is solid though and there is something to be said about his returning experience. I just hope he can stay healthy, his durability is definitely an issue. Regardless, I don't think Scott redshirts. You need 3 capable RB's that you can count on, last year they simply didn't have 3.

Yep, especially when they're all so different.

Brillovol dream scenario:

Lane leads in carries this yr due to being the senior leader with a greater physical maturity, Hurd provides primary backup with about 50 fewer carries, then a plethora of others provide the remaining supporting cast, with Scott in that group while Paulk redshirts/rehabs.

2015 brings in Reid and Kamara, with Kamara and Hurd giving it the ole CobbWebb death combo and Scott and/or Reid redshirt. Paulk provides primary complimentary role.

Kamara goes pro in 2016 which brings the 3 headed Hurd-Scott-Paulk monster. The cycle continues in future seasons and the rest is the reinvention of RBU.

How? We have 4 capable RBs right now. One of those will be gone before AK steps on the field. Take Reid and AK this class and call it a day. Take 2 more in 2016, and then we will have legit SEC RB depth.

We have nothing proven in the backfield...... None that we can say are capable. We need to recruit like that too.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back