#15 in ESPN's 2019 FPI Power Rankings?

I agree. I will be thrilled if we finish in the top 25 but my gut is this season is about rebuilding the trenches and getting the fundamentals down. I can't wait to smack a few people down though. My best friend is a Georgia fan who loves to tell the joke that at the last UGA/UT game a Tennessee fan blew an air horn and the UGA team went to the locker room thinking it was halftime. Three plays later Tennessee punts. It is getting old.

The 20th century wants their joke back.

Reactions: StarRaider
If we had a competent head coach we would've definitely won it all. Just wait until all our guys hit the NFL. Everyone will see how talented that team was when they're dominating the NFL.

Like your SB MVP Dobbs? Or the first round NFL talent Justin Martin? Sutton who has started 2 games. Kamara has done good but thats about it. Nobody from our 2016 class is gonna dominate the NFL. If that team was as elite as you think, they could have crushed SC, and Vandy on talent alone. They didnt. They needed OT to beat Appalachian State. Squeaked by Ohio. You can blame it on Butch all you want. But the fact is, they werent that talented. Alabama toyed with us. It wouldnt have mattered if we would have had Belicheck coaching.

Reactions: tbh and Titan05
Even considering the criteria for this list it’s way too high for us.

• Team performance over the past four seasons (most emphasis on last season) lol
  • Returning starters at quarterback, on offense overall and on defense LOL
  • Whether a team has a returning head coach we do
  • Recruiting rankings over the past four seasons ok I guess
They're only missing a few starters technically.

Like your SB MVP Dobbs? Or the first round NFL talent Justin Martin? Sutton who has started 2 games. Kamara has done good but thats about it. Nobody from our 2016 class is gonna dominate the NFL. If that team was as elite as you think, they could have crushed SC, and Vandy on talent alone. They didnt. They needed OT to beat Appalachian State. Squeaked by Ohio. You can blame it on Butch all you want. But the fact is, they werent that talented. Alabama toyed with us. It wouldnt have mattered if we would have had Belicheck coaching.

Prepare to be proven wrong. 2019 will see the rise of the following players in the NFL: Josh Dobbs, John Kelly, Jalen Hurd, and Cam Sutton. Also look for Nigel Warrior, Marquez Callaway, Daniel Bituli, Darrell Taylor, and Darrin Kirkland Jr. to develop into high NFL draft picks after we surprise everyone in college football next season and make a New Year's Day bowl game.

Ultimately the 2016 Vols will produce 8 Pro-Bowl/All-Pro caliber NFL players (Alvin Kamara, Josh Dobbs, Jalen Hurd, John Kelly, Cam Sutton, Nigel Warrior, Marquez Callaway, and Daniel Bituli). I would say that makes them a mighty talented team.

Errybody skeert to get excited and be optimistic.

Its funny if you think about it.
It's obviously a media ploy to get back to their favorite offseason hobby of building up UT in off season, only to write other articles about how we're delusional about 2019 season. To me, 8 wins is about the cap of "exceeding expectations"...unless Rick Barnes can go in and rub off some bball mojo onto the football team. That, and Solomon gets clearance to play, and our NEW OL corps are studs out of the gate.

If Pruitt is the answer then we should finish with 10-11 wins and a top 10-15 ranking next season.

Borderline top 25 would be a failure.
Not saying it isn't possible...but 10-11 win season after 5-7, even with a seemingly somewhat easier schedule seems like a big reach. This isn't the SEC of 1990's where there's 4-5 top teams. For us to get there, we've got to win all 4 OOC (highly likely), sweep SC, MsSt, KY, Miz, Vandy (not likely), which aren't just push overs, and win one of UF, UGA, Bama (not likely). I'm going 7-5 with losses to Bama, UGA, UF, SC, Miz but 8-4 not out of question...beating one of Miz/SC.

It is accurate. I guess they don’t weigh “quality” of starters or take into consideration the attrition of past recruiting classes.

Case in point, I think the 2015 Recruiting class was ranked #5 by some, Top 10 for sure, Now here we are 4 years later and NOT ONE player invited to the combine this year..

It's obviously a media ploy to get back to their favorite offseason hobby of building up UT in off season, only to write other articles about how we're delusional about 2019 season. To me, 8 wins is about the cap of "exceeding expectations"...unless Rick Barnes can go in and rub off some bball mojo onto the football team. That, and Solomon gets clearance to play, and our NEW OL corps are studs out of the gate.
8-9 wins is doable because Tennessee's out of conference schedule is Georgia State,BYU,Chattanooga and UAB. Tennessee can get 4-5 wins in the SEC because Mississippi State,South Carolina,Missouri,.Kentucky and Vanderbilt will be down this season.

Reactions: k-town_king
It is accurate. I guess they don’t weigh “quality” of starters or take into consideration the attrition of past recruiting classes.
If said in the article that low ranking offenses that return lots of starters almost always get a big rank increase the next year.

Besides, we have some players on offense. I don't think anyone here wanted to see the WR group or RB group get lots of turnover, and neither did.

This is believable... The offense is really experienced... The progression of skill is is not linear... I think people are going to be blown away by what the offense produces this year...
I really do believe this is possible...just not sure it's probable...Progression of skill isn't linear, but, in a UT vacuum for the past 10 years it has been. That Dooley bamboo never sprouted. Maybe one day. BVS

Reactions: lifeisdeep
It's Friday, and I am about to indulge in some Belle Meade Bourbon, so, I've got sunshine on a cloudy day...

8/31/19 GSU - Vols win
9/7/19 BYU - Vols win
9/14/19 Nooga - Vols win
9/21/19 Gayduhs - Vols win (so overdue, it's a library book lottery)
10/5/19 UGA - Exercising my 5th Amendment right
10/12/19 Miss State - If the Vols won at Auburn last year, they can defeat the cowbells in 2019
10/19/19 Bama - Exercising my 5th Amendment right
10/26/19 SoCar - Vols win (so overdue, it's a library book lottery)
11/2/19 UAB - Vols win
11/9/19 UK - Vols win
11/23/19 Mizzou - Vols win (STFU, Odom)
11/30/19 Vandy - Vols win (so overdue, it's a library book lottery)

You see, a 10-win season isn't that hard to imagine. Y'all be good, now, ya hear?

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back