'14 TN Long Snapper Wesley Horky (UT commit 1/27/14)

you can add Ravenwood long-snapper Wesley Horky to the official visit list.

Elder visited with Horky on Monday and the Vols have offered what seems to be a gray-shirt opportunity as of now. Horky visited for several games this fall and is very interested in Tennessee heading into the weekend.

Horky also has a Virginia Tech official visit the next weekend and is also considering Oklahoma. But, it's safe to see Tennessee is seemingly the team to beat right now.

-Fortenberry

Reactions: 1 person
Iff he beats him out he gets a scholly after one year. Otherwise I think he goes on Scholarship after he becomes starter. Based on Giampetta, that would be after year 2 meaning he would never count against the class likely.

Please tell me we aren't going to use a grey shirt here. We don't need to take up another spot in next year's class. Hopefully, he will be a preferred walk-on.

Please tell me we aren't going to use a grey shirt here. We don't need to take up another spot in next year's class. Hopefully, he will be a preferred walk-on.

It all depends on how good of a long snapper Giampapa is. I heard he was pretty good. We just had one of the best LS in vol history with J.R. Carr.

"I'm definitely really excited about it. My sister goes to school there and I've always wanted to play at Tennessee. But, I'm still trying to be open-minded about my opportunities, but I'm really excited about it," Horky said. "I've been up there a lot. I helped move in my sister but I've been to a lot of games since I moved to Tennessee in the first grade," "I went to the Georgia and Auburn games this year."

"Going to the state school that I live in and getting to play in front of 100,000 people and all of my good buddies are going there is something I think about," Horky said. "Aaron Medley and I know each other well and I would play with him and I feel like we could do great things up there."

"I'm taking my official visit to Tennessee this weekend and then I'm taking my official visit to Virginia Tech the following weekend," Horky explained. "Another top school of mine is Oklahoma and it's the same deal with them. I would be put on at midyear."

-VQ

UT is offering a greyshirt.

maybe a stupid question. are long snappers typically offered scholarships or are they usually walk-ons that maybe get a scholarship down the road?

They are almost always walk-ons who try to earn a scholarship down the road.

They are almost always walk-ons who try to earn a scholarship down the road.

So to answer the question another way, I would say most starters at long snapper are on scholarship. Which is basically, what is being offered. Telling him to come in as a walk-on and if you win the starting job you will be put on scholarship. I would say that is very standard operating procedures.

So to answer the question another way, I would say most starters at long snapper are on scholarship. Which is basically, what is being offered. Telling him to come in as a walk-on and if you win the starting job you will be put on scholarship. I would say that is very standard operating procedures.

A good long snapper is worth a scholarship. I am very happy that we have a good tradition of them.

Reactions: 1 person
Horky and Meadley are good gets. People don't realize that J.R Carr Tyler Drummer and Michael Palardy were the long snapper, holder and kicker for four years. Hopefully we get similar or better production from these two.

Horky and Meadley are good gets. People don't realize that J.R Carr Tyler Drummer and Michael Palardy were the long snapper, holder and kicker for four years. Hopefully we get similar or better production from these two.

J.R. Carr is one of the best we've ever had. If Horky is that good, we'll be set until 2019.

Wesley will be a Vol IMO. He already has family ties in Knoxville with his sister a senior at school

"I'm definitely really excited about it. My sister goes to school there and I've always wanted to play at Tennessee."

Seems like Mr. Horkey is a lock according to this statement.

Of course I'm bias but this is a very important position on special teams. It's becoming more common by coaches to give schollys to this position. Each member of the ST has their part to execute to make 1/3 of the the game successful. About half of our recruits are ranked nationally in the top 20 at their respective positions. Two more years of this type of recruiting and 2016 season is going to be sweet!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back