'14 MD LB Jerome Dews (UT Commit 6/24)

He's 16, turns 17 November.

D.C. NFTC All-Camp Team 05.23.13

D.C. NFTC All-Camp Team | Student Sports

More to come from this lad.

To add

6'4 / 202 / 4.7, currently carries a 2.8 GPA and is interested in Sports Mgmt.

Dews talks about his two nicknames.
"I am called ‘Coach Rome.’ I love coaching. I want to get everybody better.
I am also called ‘Big Baby.’ When I was little I was always bigger than everyone else. I was also the youngest." - Bob Morrison, 247

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
UT's out-of-state costs are not as high as a lot of schools, but it isn't cheap. Guess he could do like Tino Thomas did and live at home rather than going to school his first semester.

Would not be surprised if he bails when he gets a 2014 scholarship offer from a school he likes. If he sticks, then he really wants to come here.

Last edited:
247 officially changed him to what they do to greyshirts. They took off our offer and put him as a "favorite" to us.

Have not had time to look at his film, but will say that teams have had success with greyshirting players that are under the radar. Alonzo Tweedy for Virginia tech is a recent example that comes mind. Not a star by any means, but a very solid underrated player that is now with the giants.

It will also be interesting to see if he actually grey shirts. Swafford was supposed to grey shirt as well, but is on the roster now instead of the initially planned midyear enrollee with a sholarship and to the best of my knowledge did not receive a scholarship for this year (admittedly could've missed something). Could be a strategy of Butch's to start out with the gray shirt offer and then convince the player to walk on and earn the scholly at a later date.

Relax. Let our coaches coach. And recruit. I will take a 6'4" athlete who can play virtually anywhere outside tackle. Welcome to the hill, Jerome!

Reactions: 4 people
He's 16, turns 17 November.

Was the MVP of D.C. NFTC All-Camp Team 05.23.13

Quote:
Breakdown: Had a huge junior season with a very impressive 14 sacks for a linebacker. He did a great job of covering everything in front of him and getting in position to make a play. With his length and size he can cover any receiver over the middle and has the quickness to keep up with receivers in the open field. - Best prospect in attendance.
That is saying quite a bit --- look @ who attended (Holmes, Tabor, among others) D.C. NFTC All-Camp Team | Student Sports

Do not know where you are getting info. He was not MVP, heck he wasn't even MVP of the LB's. Certainly was not voted best prospect in attendance...you're making crap up.

Do not know where you are getting info. He was not MVP, heck he wasn't even MVP of the LB's. Certainly was not voted best prospect in attendance...you're making crap up.

tumblr_ml5hxdIcml1s99m4bo1_250.gif

Reactions: 11 people

My mistake, it was a quick scan, and my connection is poor --- keep losing signal. I read through it again, Carney was actually the MVP & Tabor was the best prospect in attendance.

Reactions: 4 people
Hmm interesting. 1st head scratcher I have seen so far in this class. Not too impressed with film. Maybe he has broke out this summer

If he were going to take a grey shirt, you would think he would wait till closer to NSD to see how his offers play out. A lot can happen over the next 6-8 months.

Reactions: 1 person
Romeyy ‏@_Romeyyyy 1m
Mane what y'all wanna call coach Butch Jones #VolNation laughing at dese haters

In his first season after transferring from Wise where he played on the junior varsity, Dews posted 14 sacks to go along with 15 catches for 220 yards and two touchdowns. Crump said a few college coaches are interested in Dews on offense, but the coach sees him at the next level in a linebacker/defensive end hybrid role similar to what he currently plays in Potomac’s 4-3 scheme.

“He’s just so long and athletic,” Crump said. “They like how hard he plays on defense. He’s relentless. He doesn’t give up.”

Jerome Dews, Dionzae Foote’ and Keiron Howard of Potomac (Md.) football drawing college interest

VN Store

Back