12-Team Playoff Schedule

Here's what I think would have happened in the 2022 bracket under this format. If I have the conferences correct. Pretty cool, but I would prefer them use a scheme that would re-order brackets to eliminate rematches until RD3 or 4 ...
2023playoff.jpg

Don't like the automatic seeding of 1-4 for conference champions. Don't like the automatic bids for 6 conference champions either.

But I think 12 is too many anyway.

Having to play 2 bowl games to get to the finals is too much, IMO.

So hypothetically a team could win the Rose Bowl and The Sugar Bowl in the same season?

If they go 12 team maybe. Not wild about that idea.

Go 8 teams and use bowl sites for first round. Then, mix in a bunch of domed stadiums for semi-finals and finals in January. Can find those in many locations to help northern teams with that phobia. Hate to tell them....if your team is slow in Glendale, your team is also going to be slow in St Paul.

So, it would have looked like this and the Huskies, Seminoles, Beavers, and Ducks would be whining for a 16 team playoff. 🙄

2023 playoff_3corrected.jpg

Could play in northern domes like the Indy Colts field, Vikings, etc.

If we want to lose all our hub caps, might even try Detroit.

Naah, I'd love to see a Miami v Wisconsin or a UCLA v Minnesota in a slush fest in December! Real football in the mud.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Oh, they take the top 6 conf champs? So, the P5 + 1 mid major. Even tho ranked 16 by committee, they still get in by being 6th highest conf champ?
That's my understanding, top 6 conf champs, then 6 at-large.

Here's what I think would have happened in the 2022 bracket under this format. If I have the conferences correct. Pretty cool, but I would prefer them use a scheme that would re-order brackets to eliminate rematches until RD3 or 4 ...
View attachment 549829[/QUOTE.
That would mean that the three SEC teams would be in the same bracket assuring that two SEC teams could not play each other for the Championship.

Don't like the automatic seeding of 1-4 for conference champions. Don't like the automatic bids for 6 conference champions either.

Yea, 12 is weird. Why does any team get a BYE? 8 teams would have been better, imo. Hell, 16 teams is better than 12......

The first 2 rounds should be on college campuses. If you get a 1-4 seed you should be rewarded with a home Playoff game, not traveling to Tampa or NOLA or Miami . Keep the Final 4 and Title game the same as is now .

Reactions: BleedinOrangeinPA

I mean in the FCS you have to win at least 4. I don't see why FBS can't follow suit.

Everyone should play a 10 game schedule. 2 out of conference and 8 conference. Playoffs from there.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Get rid of conference championship games. Those are meaningless.
They truly are meaningless. Get rid of the east and west and just make one conference. If you're standing at the top, you're in the playoffs. If there are two teams undefeated at the end of conference play due to not playing each other, let them play each other for a playoff spot.

Could play in northern domes like the Indy Colts field, Vikings, etc.

If we want to lose all our hub caps, might even try Detroit.
The Chicago Bears will soon likely have a dome too in Arlington Heights.

They truly are meaningless. Get rid of the east and west and just make one conference. If you're standing at the top, you're in the playoffs. If there are two teams undefeated at the end of conference play due to not playing each other, let them play each other for a playoff spot.
The divisions are going away. More than just two SEC teams would likely deserve a spot in any 12 any year. Without the championship game we would have had four last year. And deservedly.

Do you also favor ditching the conference tournaments in baseball and basketball? Just go straight from regular season champions to the 64 team playoffs/tournaments? Making regional final game = Sweet 16.

Last edited:
They’re not meaningless when it comes to factoring in seeding in the CFP. Winning could mean the difference in getting a bye and getting your guys rested or going to Ann Arbor in late December .

College Football Playoff Announces 2024 and 2025 Game Dates - College Football Playoff

The field of 12 teams will be comprised of the six conference champions ranked highest by the selection committee (no minimum ranking requirement), plus the six highest-ranked other teams. The ranking of the teams will continue to be done by a selection committee whose size, composition, and method of selection will remain substantially unchanged from the current arrangement. The four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded one through four and each will receive a first-round bye. The other eight teams will play in the first round with the higher seeds hosting the lower seeds either on campus or at other sites designated by the higher-seeded institution.

The 12-Team College Football Playoff Schedule Officially Announced | Rocky Top Insider

2024 Season
First Round (Games will take place on campus)
  • Friday, December 20, 2024: One game (evening time)
  • Saturday, December 21, 2024: Three games (afternoon, evening, and night times)
Quarterfinals
  • Tuesday, December 31, 2024: Vrbo Fiesta Bowl (evening time)
  • Wednesday, January 1, 2025: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (afternoon), and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)
Semifinals
  • Thursday, January 9, 2025: Capital One Orange Bowl (evening time)
  • Friday, January 10, 2025: Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (evening time)

• College Football National Championship
    • Monday, January 20, 2025: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA
College football into late January makes me tear up. Now if we could just stretch it a wee bit further, maybe to July, it would be perfect!

VN Store

Back