100% Defensive win

I’m not as enthused as many of you guys are. I’m happy with the win, but the D wasn’t all that impressive to me. Sure… they beat the living hell out of their QBs, but look at the stats below compared to the WVU game where Slovis played the whole game.
I’m not ready to build monuments to them, just giving them the credit they deserve for keeping a poorly playing offense and special teams in a position to win.

It is amazing to me that some posters on this site can not be happy witha win no matter what! We won a hard fought game against a very good opponent, but you would think we lost. We destroyed our first opponent, but you would think we lost it as well. This is absolutely ridiculous. If we went 14 and 0 with a natty, some of you would find something to whine about!

It is amazing to me that some posters on this site can not be happy witha win no matter what! We won a hard fought game against a very good opponent, but you would think we lost. We destroyed our first opponent, but you would think we lost it as well. This is absolutely ridiculous. If we went 14 and 0 with a natty, some of you would find something to whine about!

What was very good about them?

For as terrible a mistake as he had, Trevon Flowers won this game. Huge INT in the end zone to keep it within 10 and huge sack on 3rd and goal in OT to seal the game.
The int was HUGE. Going down 17-0 on the road would have been extremely hard to overcome

Reactions: AM64
AB is looking great at LB

No kidding. He improved last year as the season went on, but he was still a concern going into this one. But he’s our best LB right now. Mitchell isn’t coming back to start…he’s coming back to provide depth. Beasley and Banks give us two very good starting LBs in the base 4-2-5.

I also think Jaylen McCollough looks a lot better. He looks trimmer and quicker than last year.

I have preached for the last 8 months and tonight our defense came through and made it happen. Last year we lost 41-34 and this year we won 34-27 2 DRIVES BETTER. I was not happy for a lot of the game with the offense but if this is a indication of what lays ahead with our defense we are going to have a really good season once the offense becomes disciplined for 60 minute. Just have to be patience and let it all come together and I truly believe it will this time.

I’m not as enthused as many of you guys are. I’m happy with the win, but the D wasn’t all that impressive to me. Sure… they beat the living hell out of their QBs, but look at the stats below compared to the WVU game where Slovis played the whole game.
You're comparing a grudge game, a heated rivalry to ours? We held them to a lower Ypp and 4/18 on 3rd downs, on the road, in their house. Take the dub and move on.

Reactions: FBtime
Kentucky counted against Florida in Gainesville. This Tennessee team might beat them both. Knock, knock, knock -- on wood.
Yeah, I watched that game tonight. My shot at UK aged poorly, very quickly. Tennessee needs to beat UF. UK looks to be a tougher out this year. Some of Napier's decisions tonight make me think that may be the case for a while.

Reactions: Vol Main
D improved and kept them in this game.
Agreed. For those who rightly worried about QB pressure... 16 QB hurries and 4 sacks. One QB knocked out and his back up hobbled.

UT gave up to big plays for 57 and 76 yds otherwise Pitt avg'd 3.4 yds/play.

Now the Vols need to put a good O effort and good D effort together in the same game... starting with putting whatever change they made in Hooker's delivery back to where it was.

Agreed. For those who rightly worried about QB pressure... 16 QB hurries and 4 sacks. One QB knocked out and his back up hobbled.

UT gave up to big plays for 57 and 76 yds otherwise Pitt avg'd 3.4 yds/play.

Now the Vols need to put a good O effort and good D effort together in the same game... starting with putting whatever change they made in Hooker's delivery back to where it was.

I don't think "effort" is the issue...but I see your meaning. I can't remember the last time Tennessee looked good, on both sides of the ball, against a quality opponent.

Hook has had some issues in the 1st two games. But, I'd cite drops as my biggest worry about the offense tonight. There was more than one TD that was a proper catch away.

Last edited:
Big props to the defense. If you told me we would’ve scored 3 points in the entire 2nd half, I wouldn’t only assume we lost, I’d assume we’d get blown out. The defense got tons of pressure and stifled the run very well all 2nd half

Hats off to the Dline today, but at the same time part of me wonders how much it may have to do with Pitt's poor Oline. For example, Pitt gave up 5 sacks to West Virginia last week, yet WV didn't register a sack today against Kansas. Nonetheless, 16 QB hurries is remarkable. Just sad that we give such a large cushion that our DBs can't cover long enough and convert some of those hurries to sacks.

Very true. One "bad" play that will be all over ESPN will highlight Flowers and his...uh...tackle attempt. The embarrassment factor is rather high on that one.
We won who gives FK ? Highlights are an individual making a eeally good play. Tennessee as a team has more good than bad.... Scoreboard fude

VN Store

Back