⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

Taylor Huff Earns SEC Freshman of the Week Honors

4BD47C5F-F1B3-4B5E-A1BD-6BA73A665E64.jpeg
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Tennessee freshman midfielder Taylor Huff has been named the Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week, the league office announced Monday afternoon.

With time dwindling down and UT trailing 1-0 in its SEC home opener against No. 11 Auburn on Thursday, Huff took three touches across the middle of the field before driving a left-footed shot into the upper left corner of the goal in the 86th minute, tying the game and forcing overtime. UT went on to take a 2-1 win in double overtime.

On Sunday, Huff found Jaida Thomas breaking into the box to record an assist on UT's first goal against Missouri in another 2-1 double-overtime victory.

In total, she saw 168 minutes of action between the two contests. She currently leads the team in goals scored (6) and total points (15).

Huff is the second Vol to receive a weekly honor this season. Fellow freshman and former International SC teammate Jordan Fusco also earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors on Aug. 23.

Tennessee will continue conference play this week, facing Texas A&M on the road in an 8 p.m. ET contest on Friday that will be streamed on SECN+.

I hope Ms. Huff has the same impact on this team that Keeley Dowling had when she came here from Indiana as a similarly highly decorated high schooler. Some kids just have "it" and from her play here so far, I think she may be one of them.

I hope Ms. Huff has the same impact on this team that Keeley Dowling had when she came here from Indiana as a similarly highly decorated high schooler. Some kids just have "it" and from her play here so far, I think she may be one of them.

The really great news is that there are 2 or 3 other underclassmen that appear to have a degree of "it" as well. Huff is for sure the top of that group.

Reactions: MAD and Lurker
Is George a super senior or is there any chance she has another year?

I think she could take a covid year if she chose to. I think she is a senior this year. As I recall she transferred in from CalPoly after her freshman year, has played three years here (including this year), and could take the covid year if she wants it.

Reactions: kregman
Unless she gets injured she is beyond "it" heading for All American at some point. The goal against Auburn to get us tied was one few college players could strike with that much power and distance. Not to mention she has a great feel for the game, intensity, and is a great passer. As have been mentioned this freshman class is really good.

I think she could take a covid year if she chose to. I think she is a senior this year.
She takes controlling the ball personal like a junkyard dog fighting for a bone. We need her back if she can and will. We have one or two if they lose control of the ball just a little they give up on it, not George.

Reactions: StrangeVol
MATCH CENTRAL: #15 UT at #RV Texas A&M
Friday, October 1, 8:00 PM, SECN+

37AB3974-326A-4026-AC90-277D4DE7C1D4.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- No. 15 Tennessee faces another road challenge on Friday, playing No. RV Texas A&M at 8 p.m. ET.

Tennessee (9-1-0, 2-1 SEC) is riding a two-game win streak, defeating No. 11 Auburn and Missouri, both in double overtime, 2-1.

The Aggies (5-5-1, 1-2-0 SEC), who were tied with Arkansas at first in the SEC Preseason Poll as voted on by the league's coaches, are coming off back-to-back losses. Texas A&M lost 1-0 to No. 16 Arkansas in overtime at home last Thursday, and fell 3-0 at No. 11 Auburn on Sunday.

The Vols lead the all-time series 6-2-0, but the Aggies were victorious in the last meeting, defeating UT 3-1 in Regal Soccer Stadium on Oct. 23, 2020.

UP NEXT: Tennessee returns home to host Florida in a 7 p.m. ET match on Thursday. The contest will be streamed on SECN+.

SEC HONORS: After scoring in the 86th minute to keep UT alive against No. 11 Auburn and logging an assist in UT's overtime win at Mizzou, Taylor Huff earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors.

BY THE NUMBERS: In the SEC, Tennessee has allowed the fewest goals (5), has recorded the most shutouts (7), and has the best overall win percentage of .900.

PROTECTING THE NET: Before giving up a goal at Arkansas, UT's defense tallied 633 scoreless minutes. The back line has limited opponents to a combined 5 goals, 36 shots on goal and 19 corner kicks through 10 games.

FRESHMAN PHENOM: With six goals on the season, freshman Taylor Huff leads the team in goals and is tied for 10th in the SEC. She has the second-most goals among rookies, behind only Daniella Lewin at Georgia who has seven.

EVERYONE IS DANGEROUS: Thirteen different Vols have scored at least one goal this season, and 13 of UT's 30 goals have been scored by players coming off the bench.

SECOND HALF TEAM: Tennessee is outscoring opponents 19-2 after halftime, has scored six goals during the final 10 minutes of regulation and has landed two golden goals this season.

AGGRESSIVE OFFENSIVELY: UT is second in the nation in corner kicks per game (9.1), third in total shots per game (23.10), and is sixth in shots on goal per game (10.80). With 30 goals on the season, the Vols are tied for 14th in the nation in scoring offense at 3.00 goals per game.

FINDING THE NET: Through 10 games, UT has scored 30 goals, tying the total number of goals scored by Tennessee over 15 games during the 2020-21 season.

Last edited:
Folks, if you want to see one of the best action photos that I've seen in many moons go to the UT Sports homepage, scroll down a bit, and check out the photo of one of our girls in full motion, Also, notice the shadow on the grass and the overall composition. As a former photographer, it impressed me as being art photo quality! It's that good! That's a great piece of work by Andrew Ferguson. Well done!

Reactions: MAD
Lady Vols got very very lucky not to concede a goal just now.

Other than that we outplayed them most of the half. Big drop off when George come out.

One thing I like this year is for years we have seemed to be stuck in mud this year we seem faster than the other teams overall.

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back