⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

Our freshman defenders got abused and Lindsey had her worst outing in recent memory. Clearly, we were beaten by a superior team that is fast, passes accurately, and does not struggle to score when facing the goal. They also play a pretty physical brand of soccer which we didn't deal with very well. I still love our young ladies but the coaching...not so much.

I am growing really weary of watching good teams make us look bad by comparison. That is all.

Reactions: MAD
Our freshman defenders got abused and Lindsey had her worst outing in recent memory. Clearly, we were beaten by a superior team that is fast, passes accurately, and does not struggle to score when facing the goal. They also play a pretty physical brand of soccer which we didn't deal with very well. I still love our young ladies but the coaching...not so much.

I am growing really weary of watching good teams make us look bad by comparison. That is all.

I don't disagree with most of what you say. I would add that Arkansas had a very efficient defense. They are a quality team. I don't think the coaching is generally bad; quite good, in fact. Their overall record reflects that. But they were outcoached last night. The team didn't seem prepared for the opening onslaught. Romig did have a less than stellar night. In her defense, she hasn't had to stop many shots so far this season. She might have been rusty. I doubt that the next game will unfold that way.

Reactions: MAD
Arkansas is a very good team but an even worst matchup for us. We have been poor in the air most of the year i.e lack of scoring from the corners and Arkansas is tall and athletic. Their defenders took Thomas totally out of her game. I will say the team never let up even though they were down.

UT played a training wheel schedule so the HC could pad his Wins. UT will be Auburn's next victim. Average coach with a weak non-conference schedule. You get what you ask for.

Arkansas is a very good team but an even worst matchup for us. We have been poor in the air most of the year i.e lack of scoring from the corners and Arkansas is tall and athletic. Their defenders took Thomas totally out of her game. I will say the team never let up even though they were down.
When our Freshmen get more experience, they will be better prepared to handle the pressure.

SEC HOME OPENER TOMORROW!
Come early, be LOUD!

MATCH CENTRAL: #RV/17 UT vs. #11/13 Auburn

FB6E0CB6-D9B7-4EFB-B7CB-ABAD8FC945A4.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- No. RV/17 Tennessee will host No. 11/13 Auburn in its SEC home opener on Thursday, kicking off at 7 p.m. ET. The game will be streamed on SECN+.

UT, who is receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches Poll and ranked No. 17 by Top Drawer Soccer, enters the game with a 7-1-0 record, having suffered its sole loss of the season last week in its SEC opener on the road at Arkansas, 3-1.

Auburn carries the same 7-1-0 record and enters the contest coming off a 3-0 win at Georgia on Friday, Sept. 17. The Tigers' loss was a 2-1 setback that came at the hands of No. 1 Florida State.

The Vols hold a slight advantage in the all-time series with Auburn at 11-10-4. When playing in Regal Stadium, UT owns a 5-2-2 record. The teams last met on Sept. 26, 2019, in Auburn, when the Tigers took a 1-0 victory.

Thursday's game is Ted Lasso Night at Regal Stadium, and the first 200 fans will receive a Ted Lasso "Believe" T-shirt. It's also Dollar Dog Night for the first 100 fans, and there will be Thursday Trivia for a chance to win a year supply of Coke.

UP NEXT: Tennessee will return to the road, traveling to Missouri for a 4 p.m. ET match on Sunday. The game will be televised by the SEC Network.
GOOD COMPANY: Tennessee is one of just four teams in the country with a shutout percentage of .875 or better.

AGGRESSIVE OFFENSIVELY: UT is second the nation in corner kicks per game (9.5), third in total shots per game (24.38), and is tied for fourth in shots on goal per game (11.62). With 26 goals on the season, the Vols are tied for 11th in the nation in total scoring offense.

LOCKDOWN DEFENSE: Before giving up a goal at Arkansas, UT's back line tallied 633 scoreless minutes. They have limited opponents to a combined 27 shots on goal and 15 corner kicks through eight games.

EVERYONE IS DANGEROUS: Twelve different Vols have scored at least one goal this season, and 11 of UT's 26 goals have been scored by players coming off the bench.

NEW PROGRAM SHUTOUT RECORD:Tennessee held opponents scoreless from the start of the season through the 3:53 mark at Arkansas, setting a new program record for longest shutout streak of 633:53. The previous record was 533:22 set in 2012, spanning from the 6:33 mark at Western Kentucky on Aug. 19 through 53:24 at No. 1 UCLA on Sept. 9.

HOT START: Tennessee started the season with seven straight shutouts for the first time in team history.

We dominated that half but no score. French missed one point blank. Watching live we can not jump.

soooo many missed opportunities for TN. We’ve spent most of the match on Auburn’s side of the field and nothing to show for it.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Thank the good Lord for Huff. Thomas has gone awol on us. They get one corner and score cause they have a 6 3 girl they crashed in there to create the havoc for the goal.

Reactions: StrangeVol and MAD
#RV/17 UT Comes From Behind To Beat #11/13 Auburn

03A72366-7259-4F64-8CC7-A3569A9256AD.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – No. RV/17 Tennessee came from behind to defeat No. 11/13 Auburn on Thursday, winning 2-1 in double overtime in front of a crowd of 830 fans at Regal Soccer Stadium.

Redshirt-junior Brooke Wilson scored the game-winner 12 seconds into the second overtime period, driving a shot far post from 12 yards out. Senior Mackenzie George made the initial entry pass and freshman Jordan Fusco redirected the ball directly to Wilson who got off the shot.

The win marks UT's first victory in the last nine meetings with Auburn. During that time, they played to overtime on five occasions, with all four of those contests prior to tonight remaining tied after 110 minutes of play.

"I think (this win) goes back to the players on the field and our leadership group and those upperclassmen just pulling through it and having the confidence to fight," said UT's acting co-head coach Joe Kirt. "They were all competing and doing the little things it takes to win an extra ball, to win a 50-50 ball, to keep the ball in their half. That's where this (win) came from is their resilience and their perseverance to finish the game and not take a step back.

"Everything is a struggle in this league. Getting a win at home is massive. Getting three points and coming from behind, it's huge. It's a great win for our program."

UT (8-1, 1-1 SEC) played composed, maintaining possession for almost 60 percent of the contest, and outshooting the Tigers 19-14, while taking eight corners to their one. Junior Lindsey Romig recorded five saves on the day, including a clutch one-on-one save against a breakaway by Sydney Richards in the 64th minute.

Olivia Candelino was the goal scorer for Auburn (7-2-0, 1-1 SEC), and in goal, Maddie Prohaska recorded six saves on the day.

The game remained scoreless at the half with the Vols outshooting AU 8-3. Fusco managed to get two good looks on goal, but Prohaska came up with stops for the Tigers.

Auburn was first to strike, scoring in the 70th minute when Candelino capitalized on a loose ball following the Tigers' only corner of the game.

As time began to dwindle down, freshman Taylor Huff took a couple touches off a pass from sophomore Lawson Renie before bending it into the far side of the net from 22 yards out in the 86th minute to keep UT alive.

Tennessee had opportunities in the first overtime period, including back-to-back shots by junior Claudia Dipasupil in the 99thminute, but was unable to capitalize. The Vols kept that pressure up in the second golden-goal period, with Wilson scoring 12 seconds in to give the Big Orange a 2-1 victory.

UP NEXT: UT travels to Missouri for a 4 p.m. ET matchup that will be televised by the SEC Network.

FRESHMAN PHENOM: Taylor Huff's goal in the 86th minute was her sixth of the season. She now leads the team in goals scored.

'TIL THE FINAL WHISTLE:
With a goal in the 86th minute against Auburn, UT has now scored six goals during the final 10 minutes of regulation this season.

EVERYONE IS DANGEROUS: Twelve different Vols have scored at least one goal this season, and 12 of UT's 26 goals have been scored by players coming off the bench.

VN Store

Back