⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

More drama at FSU: Pensky walked into a bit of a mess there.

Here we have two totally different approaches to a new hire, with the FSU athletic director paying little heed to the feelings
of the players and White, at UT, seemingly doing the opposite. My feeling is that the FSU AD should
have involved the players in the search for a new coach in some way--so long as he made clear, first, that
he and the players may not think alike when it comes to who the next head coach should be, and, second, that ultimately it would
be his decision to make. That's the tricky part of trying to involve others--once they get invested in the process, you've got to be
deft about handling their feelings if you, the AD, opt to go in a different direction.

On the other hand, White, it seems, let the players effectively make the decision. I don't think that's the right approach, either, frankly, because
it means that you, the AD, didn't really do a thorough search for the best candidate. The in-house candidate
might be a good candidate, for sure, but if you don't do a search, there is no basis for comparison. We saw Fulmer do much the same thing
with the women's BB hire. The only right approach is the one that works--meaning that you picked the right person for the job--and
that always becomes fairly clear over time. I hope it plays out extremely well for us, as we have definite program momentum and want
to not just keep it going but get it even stronger. I'd say the SEC is definitely edging closer to the big dogs when it comes to getting to the College
Cup--Final Four. After losing to the Vols in the SEC tourney final, Arkansas came close to getting there, losing to Rutgers on PKs in the quarterfinal. South
Carolina did well, too, as did we. I wonder if UCLA and USC opting to join the Big 10 will make it a bit harder for those two schools to recruit the best soccer players in Southern Cal--a hotbed of talent. It's hard to say--but some players may not be keen travel to New Jersey, Maryland and Minnesota to play soccer games.

I did listen to a interview with Pensky conducted by an FSU Sports Info guy. It was interesting. Pensky said that last year, after about 10 years
with the Vols, he started getting a bit itchy for a new challenge. Maybe that's true--but my hunch is that it really wasn't more than Pensky
taking note of the FSU opening and recognizing that there was a big opportunity--big program, big salary--and being an ambitious guy, his agent expressed his interest. That's simply what I think happened. There simply aren't many other programs out there that, all things considered, could offer more than Tennessee--but FSU certainly was one of them. Pensky said that his wife was happy in Knoxville and wasn't keen to move--but after their youngest son gave her some insight into why FSU would appeal to her husband, she came around and supported the job switch.

That’s kind of shocking that a player would post that. Not a good look for her in my opinion. She was the captain of the team and probably the best player in the country but it’s probably best for Pensky going forward.

Michigan Hawks--very good Midwestern ECNL program.. Eclipse Select, for which Emma Duval plays (new commit) is another strong midwestern ECNL club.

OK, I said i wouldn't do it, I don't mean to be prickish-- but I have to throw out one more bit about UT's logos--Power T vs. LV. Look at the lineup of logos above in that Michigan Hawks ad--the Virginia M, Michigan's power M, Xavier's Power X, Notre Dame's strong two-letter logo, the PA State Lion. The Power T not only fits right in but looks good and strong next to those stout logos, does it not? It holds it own and more. Now imagine the LV logo in place of the power T logo in that lineup: it would clearly look weak in comparison to the others.
You are very observant, didn’t even notice.

That’s kind of shocking that a player would post that. Not a good look for her in my opinion. She was the captain of the team and probably the best player in the country but it’s probably best for Pensky going forward.
That’s quite a bit of bad karma she released there. Quite Vengeful actually. Some people just want to see programs burn…

Good luck to VFL Brooke Wilson #12 playing at Seattle University this year.4AA1CDFE-0545-412F-A1AE-D2E43C2EACD1.jpeg9BBC2DCA-EE68-4149-8F5A-5D0742CFB25D.jpeg

D2BFD0CD-3088-4F69-855C-7BD1A4683BB4.jpeg

When the schedule was released I wanted to go to this match in Orlando.
M.A. Vignola still injured and Katie Cousins didn’t travel with the team.
Been a very disappointing season for both.

00983FBE-1EEF-44AF-8F90-47E61FF99FCD.jpeg82D0EA90-4223-43BD-9D30-F9E163618F56.jpeg

Reactions: chuckiepoo
RE Cousins, I'm disappointed for her. She's not even been suited up for maybe half LA's games, and when she's been in the squad she hasn't played
a minute all season, I don't think. I frankly doubt she'll be with LA next year. She needs to find another team, somewhere, where she can play.

And Vignola: You get a big break and are signed by a new glamour club--and then you suffer a serious hip injury in pre-season and miss the entire season (so far)? It's been a disaster for both of these former Vols.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
North Carolina will be a handful--but then we were 20-3 last year and very good, and so it's time to show we belong with the big dogs. We'll have to match up with them athletically--individually and as a team, play good soccer--and win individual battles. UNC likes to play up-tempo, press, and wear teams down with their depth--as Dorrance will send in 6/7 subs somewhere around the 20' mark of the first half and they will all be as good as his starters. I would expect Kirt to use a number of subs as well--because every team needs quality depth and you want them to gain high-level experience, and because our starters will just need to be rested. Playing Notre Dame should help get us ready, as the Irish will have a good team.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
The ESPN family of networks do not show the North Carolina game on. What network will it be televised on?

Are you saying that the game isn't scheduled for broadcast? I think it could be on ACC+, which means if you subscribe to ESPN+, you can watch it. I can watch a vast number of games--SEC, ACC, Big10, others---in every sport. It's been great--and can watch the replay if you miss the livestream. In any case, that's what I hope will be the case.

As for the exhibition games, we'll be lucky if we get starting lineups, subs and score updates. Please tweet to UT soccer and ask them to at least do that much. I'm going to do so.

VN Store

Back