⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

Wow: I didn't think Thomas would be back, and I was actually ok with that. Now that she's back, well, on the one hand she's a scorer
and that's a good thing. Maybe even very good. On othe other hand, it immediately complicates things at the forward position and will
make for some difficult decisions by Kirt and the staff. (Kirt may not think them difficult, but then I sometimes wonder how thoroughly he thinks
things through, if I'm candid.) Thomas is a CF and only a CF. Runyon had a good freshman season last year--big and athletic and very promising...and she's a CF.

There's the problem. Thomas will play CF and Runyon is going to be moved outside--much as CF Simmonds was moved outside last season--and we'll have to see if she can be effective playing wide--if the staff sticks with a 4-3-3 formation. Simmonds was not effective playing outside last season--though our coaches were slow to recognize that fact.

Alternatively, we could play a 4-4-2 and have both Thomas and Runyon up top with a certain amount of freedom. Thomas is a poacher and likes getting into the box, and that might hinder Runyon. Runyon did come out from the box area quite often last year to receive passes and try to make runs, and was successful doing that at times--so maybe she and Thomas can work together.

We also have Woods--the forward transfer from Michigan who's a proven goal scorer. I think she played mostly on the left wing at Michigan, and so if we play a 4-3-3, we could see her on the left, Thomas in the middle and Runyon on the right. Greiner to get a lot of PT as a reserve, I would hope--she needs to play and seems a natural winger. And freshman Mattern probably needs to play as she is a winger (left side) and seems to be very speedy and talented.

Woods has also been listed as an attacking mid--and frankly if she has aspirations of playing pro soccer, it will be at that position and not forward, probably, as she's not very big. So I'd give her a look as an attacking mid--but I only think that might be an option if we play with four midfielders. And we also have Latino--who's definitely an attacking mid. How the coaches manage our midfield and forward talent, and how well those on the field play together (is there chemistry?) will go a LONG way to determing how good we are this next season. One thing would be nice to see--and that is the coaches trying different player combinations/formations early in the season. This would seem a logical thing to do, yes, given all the different players we have this season--but Kirt didn't do it last season, which made absolutely no sense. We brought in transfers--but he essentially ignored them and started the same older group of Vol players in the same positions, in the same formation, in all of the out-of-conference games. No experimentation, at all. Rather strange.

I saw this question asked and wondered what y’all thought?

Do you think internationals that were once professional soccer players, now in their early-20’s of age, should be allowed to play college soccer?
division 2 they do. We have the University of Chaleston here in WV. Their entire team have pro contracts that their team have got them scholarships to play here in the states and not loan them out so the play a bunch. In D2 they are a power. Now I was told told they can do that at D1 but do not know that for a fact.

Reactions: MAD
Wow: I didn't think Thomas would be back, and I was actually ok with that. Now that she's back, well, on the one hand she's a scorer
and that's a good thing. Maybe even very good. On othe other hand, it immediately complicates things at the forward position and will
make for some difficult decisions by Kirt and the staff. (Kirt may not think them difficult, but then I sometimes wonder how thoroughly he thinks
things through, if I'm candid.) Thomas is a CF and only a CF. Runyon had a good freshman season last year--big and athletic and very promising...and she's a CF.

There's the problem. Thomas will play CF and Runyon is going to be moved outside--much as CF Simmonds was moved outside last season--and we'll have to see if she can be effective playing wide--if the staff sticks with a 4-3-3 formation. Simmonds was not effective playing outside last season--though our coaches were slow to recognize that fact.

Alternatively, we could play a 4-4-2 and have both Thomas and Runyon up top with a certain amount of freedom. Thomas is a poacher and likes getting into the box, and that might hinder Runyon. Runyon did come out from the box area quite often last year to receive passes and try to make runs, and was successful doing that at times--so maybe she and Thomas can work together.

We also have Woods--the forward transfer from Michigan who's a proven goal scorer. I think she played mostly on the left wing at Michigan, and so if we play a 4-3-3, we could see her on the left, Thomas in the middle and Runyon on the right. Greiner to get a lot of PT as a reserve, I would hope--she needs to play and seems a natural winger. And freshman Mattern probably needs to play as she is a winger (left side) and seems to be very speedy and talented.

Woods has also been listed as an attacking mid--and frankly if she has aspirations of playing pro soccer, it will be at that position and not forward, probably, as she's not very big. So I'd give her a look as an attacking mid--but I only think that might be an option if we play with four midfielders. And we also have Latino--who's definitely an attacking mid. How the coaches manage our midfield and forward talent, and how well those on the field play together (is there chemistry?) will go a LONG way to determing how good we are this next season. One thing would be nice to see--and that is the coaches trying different player combinations/formations early in the season. This would seem a logical thing to do, yes, given all the different players we have this season--but Kirt didn't do it last season, which made absolutely no sense. We brought in transfers--but he essentially ignored them and started the same older group of Vol players in the same positions, in the same formation, in all of the out-of-conference games. No experimentation, at all. Rather strange.
What formation did Pensky use in 2021 , was it 4-4-2?

Dangerous. Dangerous to team growth and progression. We saw this with George. A coach cannot play a player for that individuals personal pursuit of becoming a pro when their presence is counter productive to team success. Playing George a year ago hurt the season. Maybe, Thomas recovers and plays wonderful - hey, she is a legit Volinteer and I'm pulling for her. But please, don't give any player minutes in hopes of bettering their future while hindering the team. Please!!

The team looks faster and more dynamic than last Fall up top. If the coaches let the outside backs lose to press and attack aggressively (like they have played their entire careers) and a healthy Thomas simply stands at the tip of the spear waiting for balls to be delivered, we could have some serious fun. She does have a knack for letting the ball ricocete off of her and into the goal. Just foot get the balls to her in the box - the more the merrier.

But- who will tie it all together? Got to have a 6. No 6 = no season.

Reactions: MAD and brittannica
What formation did Pensky use in 2021 , was it 4-4-2?

Yes, 4-4-2.

Had Thomas and George up front. George created a lot of corners and was good at getting the ball to Thomas in or around the box, though not much of a scorer herself. Brooke Wilson, talented scorer from Arizona, was a reserve--and scored the game winner early in the season against Auburn after Huff had tied the game late with a left-footed wonder goal from distance. Cariell Ellis--you know her--got a bit of playing time--and showed a lot of promise and physicalilty.

Had a midfield of freshmen Huff and Fusco, Burdette and Dipasupal. I think Dipasupall started--with Zaluski spelling her. Tillett, a good transfer from Middle Tennessee, played quite a bit.

Outside backs were Rain--super talented athlete and player--and Katz, who was quick and good with the ball at her feet. They were a major part of our success that year--played high, picked up a lot of balls and kept the opponent bottled up in its defensive half. Eskin got some decent minutes in relief of Katz and was effective (and then barely played at all for Kirt the last two seasons).

Centerbacks were French and Renie, the latter newly converted from a forward position. I wasn't too confident in those two. French had played CB the year before, and maybe even the year before that, and I didn't think she was terribly good. Decent defender but wasn't very good with the ball--didn't possess and make progressive passes. But it came together for her in her last year--she had an excellent season--and Renie, in her first experience as a centerback, was suprisingly solid--very poised. I think she may have been better that first year than she was the following two years. It just seemed that she and French clicked as a tandem, and French provided excellent leadership.

Romig in goal--solid.

Good/very good team that got better as the season progressed, reaching No. 6 in the country by season's end and winning the SEC tourney. It was the right formation with the right players.

Pensky leaves and with Kirt the new head man, we have EVERYBODY back by French. The only starter we had to replace. Instead of finding the one new player at CB and rolling with the same players in the same successful formation, Kirt decides to change the entire system. Shifts to a 3-back system. Moves Katz and Rain from outside back positions where they shined to the back line, then inserted Nelson and Dipa/Zusluski to replace them on the wing. Just a disastrously dumb decision. Katz was not a centerback, and Nelson and Dipa were nowhere near as good on the wings as Rain and Katz. We actually won 5 or 6 SEC games--but all but one came against teams that finished at the bottom of the conference. Goals scored went down significantly; overall performance dropped--but he stuck with that damn formation all season. Crazy. It still infuriates me--as you can tell!

In '22 Kirt may have thought that he didn't have a CB to replace French and, thus, had to change to a three-back system.
But making Katz a Centerback didn't make much sense--and he had three players who could have been tried/played at centerback
and probably done well.

I would have converted Nelson to centerback--it would have been a good position for her as she
didn't have the quicks to play wing or forward very well--but she had decent size, decent or better ball skills and could defend. She would
have worked. Renie was much like Nelson: Came to UT as a forward--but was not fast/quick enough for forward and got switched to CB,
and it worked. Renie wasn't an exceptional CB, but she was solid. French was an outside back who got converted to centerback and eventually, that worked. Maya Neal had a lot of success at CB in '18 and '19--she was also a converted forward. So plenty of precedent for a position switch.

The staff could have also tried Hennessey at CB--and she would probably have been good at that position as well. She played outside back in her years here but wasn't quite athletic enough for the demanding position--but would have been plenty athletic enough for centerback. And had defensive experience.

In '22 Kirt may have thought that he didn't have a CB to replace French and, thus, had to change to a three-back system.
But making Katz a Centerback didn't make much sense--and he had three players who could have been tried/played at centerback
and probably done well.

I would have converted Nelson to centerback--it would have been a good position for her as she
didn't have the quicks to play wing or forward very well--but she had decent size, decent or better ball skills and could defend. She would
have worked. Renie was much like Nelson: Came to UT as a forward--but was not fast/quick enough for forward and got switched to CB,
and it worked. Renie wasn't an exceptional CB, but she was solid. French was an outside back who got converted to centerback and eventually, that worked. Maya Neal had a lot of success at CB in '18 and '19--she was also a converted forward. So plenty of precedent for a position switch.

The staff could have also tried Hennessey at CB--and she would probably have been good at that position as well. She played outside back in her years here but wasn't quite athletic enough for the demanding position--but would have been plenty athletic enough for centerback. And had defensive experience.
Good assessment. One important detail left out 😀 for the 2022 season- literally, the entire Freshman class sat on the bench - one of the collectively highest ranked freshman classes in the country and collectively, far superior all around athletes (if info was public - their BEEP scores were off the charts). Cam should have replaced George for minutes on day 1. Shell is a great CB - not fast, but smart, strong and better than Lawson by leaps and bounds - look what she did at Brown last year) . The entire freshman class should have been given freshman redshirts - the whole fiasco was criminal.

Zaluski (I don't think I've ever seen a player cry and whine so much) and Depsa and Nelson and Washington- should have never been on the field. The truth is that without Huff and Fusco, the team would have been average in 2021 - remember they were Freshman. ( Like the Bunny Shaw error - without Shaw, Tennessee doesn't win half their games.) They were the critical element at game time. In practice - 2022- not so much. Poor team leadership skills, a lot of yelling and screaming out of frustration and absolutely ZERO constructive interaction. Worse, the coaches let these two players get away with it. Toxic. Huff belongs on an internationally constructed team with language barriers to drown out her loud mouth - but still, an awesome player - one of the best in the country - and if you don't believe that, just ask her Dad 🙄).

A. Brown, D.Brown, Simmonds, Klurman, Shell, Price, Abby (goalie), Zaharra (goalie) could have started (all at the same time) after about 6 games under their belt and we would have had the same result in 2022 but advanced in the SEC and NCAA tourney (kinda like this years NCAA- STATS improved as some of these players got more time- weird). And, would have been ready to go this season from the start. That is how good these players are. Drives me nuts that they literally sat on the bench and watched Rain chronically injure herself (what a shame) and George move in slow motion (worst player on field in many games in 2022 and is why the pros didn't even look once in her direction - but her dog was cool and the centerpiece of our commentators bazaar anaylysis - i knew more about the dog then I did the game) and Washington (6 ft tall but can only vertical 1/2").... Heck, the only reason we won some games in 2022 is because SEC soccer is so darn ugly and sloppy.

Remember, the past players begged the AD to hire our current coach. Literally flooded his office. Like, a military operation. And, he gave them what they wanted (probably why they played as much as they did ) and now, they are all gone. This is why AD's should only humor players requests and let them vent and then make the right, adult decision. Players don't pick coaches!!

The analysis you gave is good and I appreciate it. The hard to swallow truth is that the real potential of this team was squandered over the past two years when the 2022 freshman sat and a crazy 3-5-2 formation was selected. Let's look at that formation. Literally, it is the most difficult formation to play in the game of soccer. There must be 11 superior, highly conditioned athletes on the field at the same time in order for that formation to have an inkling of hope. It does not work. Any coach that is playing a team in college soccer, women's college soccer, and they see a 352 formation, is loving life that day. Whole thing was stupid.

To date, I've never seen a program, completely dismiss a group of top talent athletes, and select mediocrity as a replacement. Last year, 2022, we had a new group of players that could complement both Huff and Fusco style of play. Instead, players, that are the opposite of Huff and Fusco, played. It was a horrible thing to watch. Miserable.

And now, here we are.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
What’s the purpose of soccer ID camps?
Pocket change for assistant coaches and PR social media hype and a chance to get 1 or 2 players the coaches actually want, on the campus and talking to the coach (NCAA rule loophole). I tell parent don't do it unless the college coach specifically contacts the club coach about a player. Waste of $$ and ultimately, it is mentally harmful to the other 99.99% of players showing up that the program doesn't care about. Save your $$$

Anson Dorrance used to have fake camps, if you will, and only players that were part of the national team or from clubs that he preferred, showed up. We have been part of it. . It was kind of funny to watch. He would divide the camp in two groups. One group, were the higher echelon players, and got the VIP tour, which was pretty cool, honestly. And the other group, were a bunch of high school players running laps.

That three back was my first year being able to watch LV soccer in person, and it haunts me how obvious it was that it wasn’t working. And yet, we all had to endure an entire season of it.

Good assessment. One important detail left out 😀 for the 2022 season- literally, the entire Freshman class sat on the bench - one of the collectively highest ranked freshman classes in the country and collectively, far superior all around athletes (if info was public - their BEEP scores were off the charts). Cam should have replaced George for minutes on day 1. Shell is a great CB - not fast, but smart, strong and better than Lawson by leaps and bounds - look what she did at Brown last year) . The entire freshman class should have been given freshman redshirts - the whole fiasco was criminal.

Zaluski (I don't think I've ever seen a player cry and whine so much) and Depsa and Nelson and Washington- should have never been on the field. The truth is that without Huff and Fusco, the team would have been average in 2021 - remember they were Freshman. ( Like the Bunny Shaw error - without Shaw, Tennessee doesn't win half their games.) They were the critical element at game time. In practice - 2022- not so much. Poor team leadership skills, a lot of yelling and screaming out of frustration and absolutely ZERO constructive interaction. Worse, the coaches let these two players get away with it. Toxic. Huff belongs on an internationally constructed team with language barriers to drown out her loud mouth - but still, an awesome player - one of the best in the country - and if you don't believe that, just ask her Dad 🙄).

A. Brown, D.Brown, Simmonds, Klurman, Shell, Price, Abby (goalie), Zaharra (goalie) could have started (all at the same time) after about 6 games under their belt and we would have had the same result in 2022 but advanced in the SEC and NCAA tourney (kinda like this years NCAA- STATS improved as some of these players got more time- weird). And, would have been ready to go this season from the start. That is how good these players are. Drives me nuts that they literally sat on the bench and watched Rain chronically injure herself (what a shame) and George move in slow motion (worst player on field in many games in 2022 and is why the pros didn't even look once in her direction - but her dog was cool and the centerpiece of our commentators bazaar anaylysis - i knew more about the dog then I did the game) and Washington (6 ft tall but can only vertical 1/2").... Heck, the only reason we won some games in 2022 is because SEC soccer is so darn ugly and sloppy.

Remember, the past players begged the AD to hire our current coach. Literally flooded his office. Like, a military operation. And, he gave them what they wanted (probably why they played as much as they did ) and now, they are all gone. This is why AD's should only humor players requests and let them vent and then make the right, adult decision. Players don't pick coaches!!

The analysis you gave is good and I appreciate it. The hard to swallow truth is that the real potential of this team was squandered over the past two years when the 2022 freshman sat and a crazy 3-5-2 formation was selected. Let's look at that formation. Literally, it is the most difficult formation to play in the game of soccer. There must be 11 superior, highly conditioned athletes on the field at the same time in order for that formation to have an inkling of hope. It does not work. Any coach that is playing a team in college soccer, women's college soccer, and they see a 352 formation, is loving life that day. Whole thing was stupid.

To date, I've never seen a program, completely dismiss a group of top talent athletes, and select mediocrity as a replacement. Last year, 2022, we had a new group of players that could complement both Huff and Fusco style of play. Instead, players, that are the opposite of Huff and Fusco, played. It was a horrible thing to watch. Miserable.

And now, here we are.
Incredible post, learned so much.

Pocket change for assistant coaches and PR social media hype and a chance to get 1 or 2 players the coaches actually want, on the campus and talking to the coach (NCAA rule loophole). I tell parent don't do it unless the college coach specifically contacts the club coach about a player. Waste of $$ and ultimately, it is mentally harmful to the other 99.99% of players showing up that the program doesn't care about. Save your $$$

Anson Dorrance used to have fake camps, if you will, and only players that were part of the national team or from clubs that he preferred, showed up. We have been part of it. . It was kind of funny to watch. He would divide the camp in two groups. One group, were the higher echelon players, and got the VIP tour, which was pretty cool, honestly. And the other group, were a bunch of high school players running laps.
Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I recommend getting the FA Player.
They have quite a few live matches from the UK you can watch for free.

At 2 pm LVFL Bunny Shaw will be playing in the Manchester derby. Hope she scores another hat trick.

What’s the purpose of soccer ID camps?

I think College soccer ID camps can be worthwhile for athletes, if you choose wisely which camps you attend. Like the commentator said previously, if you attend a large, competitive, D1 camp, and your child is clearly not a D1 player, it is largely a waste of time and a money maker for the school. They will divide the players based on ECNL, Clubs, etc. And you may not be looked at seriously at all, especially at camps with 60+ campers.

I've taken and observed my daughters to about 6 different camps, and here are my suggestions:
1. Only attend camps where you believe honestly your child can compete (D1, D2, NAIA, etc).
2. Try to attend camps where the number of campers is capped (below 40 is ideal). Ask the college coach ahead of time.
3. Attend camps where multiple colleges run the camp. For example, we attended one at Lipscomb (D1), but it also had three other colleges of lower classification.
4. Look at the bios of the current roster of school. If the school is almost entirely made up of ECNL players, and your child plays D2 with club, you should look elsewhere.
5. Smaller schools use the ID camps more for recruitment, than the larger D1 schools.

My freshman daughter was offered through an ID camp and plays currently for a NAIA school, but it wouldn't have happened if we didn't take the first step towards them.

Hope this helps.

I think College soccer ID camps can be worthwhile for athletes, if you choose wisely which camps you attend. Like the commentator said previously, if you attend a large, competitive, D1 camp, and your child is clearly not a D1 player, it is largely a waste of time and a money maker for the school. They will divide the players based on ECNL, Clubs, etc. And you may not be looked at seriously at all, especially at camps with 60+ campers.

I've taken and observed my daughters to about 6 different camps, and here are my suggestions:
1. Only attend camps where you believe honestly your child can compete (D1, D2, NAIA, etc).
2. Try to attend camps where the number of campers is capped (below 40 is ideal). Ask the college coach ahead of time.
3. Attend camps where multiple colleges run the camp. For example, we attended one at Lipscomb (D1), but it also had three other colleges of lower classification.
4. Look at the bios of the current roster of school. If the school is almost entirely made up of ECNL players, and your child plays D2 with club, you should look elsewhere.
5. Smaller schools use the ID camps more for recruitment, than the larger D1 schools.

My freshman daughter was offered through an ID camp and plays currently for a NAIA school, but it wouldn't have happened if we didn't take the first step towards them.

Hope this helps.
This is a wonderful explanation from a different perspective. Thank your for sharing your experience.

Jaida Thomas will return for sixth season with Tennessee soccer in 2024​

Cora Hall Knoxnews

Jaida Thomas is returning for a sixth year with Tennessee soccer, and she'll have the chance to make history.

The senior forward announced she would return to play for the Lady Vols in 2024 on social media Wednesday. Thomas was Tennessee's leading goalscorer going into the 2023 season, but she played only two games due to a season-ending injury. She has an extra year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and it will be her sixth year with Tennessee due to a medical redshirt her freshman season in 2019.

"Thank you to everybody who showed me support this past season with my season-ending injury," Thomas wrote. "The love and support shown by my coaches, teammates, family and community has truly helped me during this season of life. I'm so thankful to God for allowing me to continue to play the sport I love.

"With that being said, I'm excited to announce my return for the 2024 season! I have some unfinished business!"

While Thomas may be referencing unfinished business with the Lady Vols, she also got injured last season before getting the chance to break the all-time scoring record for Tennessee.

Thomas scored once in her two games, putting her at 39 career goals. She's only five from surpassing Kylee Rossi's program record of 43.

Thomas' return is significant for the Lady Vols, who lost their best players to the transfer portal after last season. Junior midfielder Jordan Fusco transferred to Penn State and sophomore forward Kameron Simmonds transferred to reigning national champion Florida State to play for former Tennessee coach Brian Pensky.

Thomas' return wasn't guaranteed after her injury last fall – she had already gone through two ACL tears in high school, the second of which led to her redshirt freshman season at Tennessee. Then she registered for the 2024 NWSL Draft, but retained her NCAA eligibility after going undrafted.

Thomas was a second-team All-American as a sophomore and was first-team All-SEC as a junior in 2022. In addition to her 39 career goals, she has logged eight assists, 11 game-winning goals and 86 points in 59 appearances for the Lady Vols.

Thomas has been one of the best forwards in the SEC since arriving at Tennessee. Her 0.68 goals per game as a junior ranked first in the SEC and 12th in the nation. She was a key piece in Tennessee's historic 20-win season in 2021, scoring five goals to lead it to its first SEC Tournament championship since 2008.

Hope this helps.
Good point /perspective. Mine is obviously a little jaded. I will add that simply exposing a HS student athlete to a college campus is inspiring in and of itself. I also wished that club coaches had a better understanding and offered advice to families related to some of these camps. Some clubs are run by international coaches that don't fully grasp that collegiate soccer is the ultimate goal for players in most situations, so the advice is poor. In Europe and South America, college soccer isn't an option. The approach you took to was smart and streamlined. You need to give a lecture!!! Save folks a lot of $$ and heartache. Thanks for the input.

Dangerous. Dangerous to team growth and progression. We saw this with George. A coach cannot play a player for that individuals personal pursuit of becoming a pro when their presence is counter productive to team success. Playing George a year ago hurt the season. Maybe, Thomas recovers and plays wonderful - hey, she is a legit Volinteer and I'm pulling for her. But please, don't give any player minutes in hopes of bettering their future while hindering the team. Please!!

The team looks faster and more dynamic than last Fall up top. If the coaches let the outside backs lose to press and attack aggressively (like they have played their entire careers) and a healthy Thomas simply stands at the tip of the spear waiting for balls to be delivered, we could have some serious fun. She does have a knack for letting the ball ricocete off of her and into the goal. Just foot get the balls to her in the box - the more the merrier.

But- who will tie it all together? Got to have a 6. No 6 = no season.

I pegged Mitchell as a 6 when she was signed--good size, well-regarded midfielder. She played in the midfield in some OOC games last year--but I'm not sure it was the 6.

Muriel Kroflin is a 6----looks a solid player. Doesn't seem as physical a defender as Burdette, I don't think, but better with the ball and pretty nifty passer, from what I've seen of her.

Good point /perspective. Mine is obviously a little jaded. I will add that simply exposing a HS student athlete to a college campus is inspiring in and of itself. I also wished that club coaches had a better understanding and offered advice to families related to some of these camps. Some clubs are run by international coaches that don't fully grasp that collegiate soccer is the ultimate goal for players in most situations, so the advice is poor. In Europe and South America, college soccer isn't an option. The approach you took to was smart and streamlined. You need to give a lecture!!! Save folks a lot of $$ and heartache. Thanks for the input.

What's an ID camp cost, typically?

Jaida Thomas will return for sixth season with Tennessee soccer in 2024​

Cora Hall Knoxnews

Jaida Thomas is returning for a sixth year with Tennessee soccer, and she'll have the chance to make history.

The senior forward announced she would return to play for the Lady Vols in 2024 on social media Wednesday. Thomas was Tennessee's leading goalscorer going into the 2023 season, but she played only two games due to a season-ending injury. She has an extra year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and it will be her sixth year with Tennessee due to a medical redshirt her freshman season in 2019.

"Thank you to everybody who showed me support this past season with my season-ending injury," Thomas wrote. "The love and support shown by my coaches, teammates, family and community has truly helped me during this season of life. I'm so thankful to God for allowing me to continue to play the sport I love.

"With that being said, I'm excited to announce my return for the 2024 season! I have some unfinished business!"

While Thomas may be referencing unfinished business with the Lady Vols, she also got injured last season before getting the chance to break the all-time scoring record for Tennessee.

Thomas scored once in her two games, putting her at 39 career goals. She's only five from surpassing Kylee Rossi's program record of 43.

Thomas' return is significant for the Lady Vols, who lost their best players to the transfer portal after last season. Junior midfielder Jordan Fusco transferred to Penn State and sophomore forward Kameron Simmonds transferred to reigning national champion Florida State to play for former Tennessee coach Brian Pensky.

Thomas' return wasn't guaranteed after her injury last fall – she had already gone through two ACL tears in high school, the second of which led to her redshirt freshman season at Tennessee. Then she registered for the 2024 NWSL Draft, but retained her NCAA eligibility after going undrafted.

Thomas was a second-team All-American as a sophomore and was first-team All-SEC as a junior in 2022. In addition to her 39 career goals, she has logged eight assists, 11 game-winning goals and 86 points in 59 appearances for the Lady Vols.

Thomas has been one of the best forwards in the SEC since arriving at Tennessee. Her 0.68 goals per game as a junior ranked first in the SEC and 12th in the nation. She was a key piece in Tennessee's historic 20-win season in 2021, scoring five goals to lead it to its first SEC Tournament championship since 2008.

Again, no mention at what her last injury was. Another knee injury? It also doesn't mentioned if she's healthy and ready to play or still rehabbing. Info that would have been easy enough to include. If she had a third ACL tear one wonders how well she can run now. I hope Kirt keeps in mind the importance of Runyon to this team for the next three seasons.....

What's an ID camp cost, typically?

The Tennessee Soccer Winter ID Camp is designed for players who have an interest in continuing their playing career at the collegiate level. This one-day event will be staffed by University of Tennessee coaches. Curriculum will include a typical collegiate training/game warmup, technical training, tactical concepts along with small and full sided games.
DATE
Winter ID Camp I - Sunday, February 4th

WHO
Girls, 9th - 12th Grade

COST
$200
TENTATIVE CAMP SCHEDULE
9:00 amCheck-In
9:30 amOpening Remarks
9:45 am - 11:30 amTraining Session 1
11:45 am - 12:30 pmLunch/break
(Tennessee Soccer will provide lunch!)
12:30 pm - 1:00 pmPanel discussion with Tennessee Soccer Team
(“The College Process and the Life of a Student-Athlete”)
1:00 pm - 2:15 pmCampus Tour
2:30 pm - 4:30 pmTraining Session II
4:30 pmCamp Wrap up and Conclusion

REFUND POLICY
No refunds for cancellations made within 14 days of your camp start date.

If you have any questions about camp please contact Macaulay Soto at msoto4@utk.edu.

QUESTIONS

If you have any questions about camp please contact Macaulay Soto at msoto4@utk.edu. Hope to see you in Knoxville this summer!

VN Store

Back