‘24 Somtochukwu Cyril

I might be in the minority here but this kid gives me big Maker brothers/ JT Thor vibes. Insane athlete with NBA measurables, but that doesn't always translate. He just seems like a bigger/ more athletic version of Tamba.

Most of his highlights just consist of putbacks/ blocks. I haven't seen any real back to the basket skills or even anything on the perimeter. He doesn't come off super aggressive and has multiple moments that scream, "I just started playing basketball".

I watched his matchup vs Brandon Miller and there was 0 doubt who the best player on the floor was and it wasn't remotely close.

I'd still take the kid but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't produce a ton as a freshman. While Aidoo isn't near the athlete, I still think he has more translatable skills, imo.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Oddly enough I'd be more excited if he was a 3*. With his current rating, I'd say there's a solid chance he leaves after a year, regardless of his stock.

I might be in the minority here but this kid gives me big Maker brothers/ JT Thor vibes. Insane athlete with NBA measurables, but that doesn't always translate. He just seems like a bigger/ more athletic version of Tamba.

Most of his highlights just consist of putbacks/ blocks. I haven't seen any real back to the basket skills or even anything on the perimeter. He doesn't come off super aggressive and has multiple moments that scream, "I just started playing basketball".

I watched his matchup vs Brandon Miller and there was 0 doubt who the best player on the floor was and it wasn't remotely close.

I'd still take the kid but wouldn't be surprised if he didn't produce a ton as a freshman. While Aidoo isn't near the athlete, I still think he has more translatable skills, imo.
No doubt he is raw, but he absolutely has the goods. Comparing Somto as a sophomore to Brandon Miller as a top-15ish senior in a single matchup just isn't fair. And it isn't like Somto was garbage in that game. Miller has experience, age, and maturity on his side.

I watched Ethan Sellars, who you've certainly never heard of, absolutely steal the show in a matchup with 5* UK commit, Reed Sheppard, here in Kentucky, considering their pedigree. Sellars is going to Cedarville University, next year. One game just isn't a great barometer.

As for Somto, clearly he has to continue developing. He's not a finished product, so I can understand the hesitancy except that he is finishing up his sophomore year in high school, right now. Provided he gets good guidance and continues to work on his craft and not rely on his athleticism, I think he will be a stud. I see more of a high school version of Joel Embiid than JT Thor, but I'm admittedly projecting.

No doubt he is raw, but he absolutely has the goods. Comparing Somto as a sophomore to Brandon Miller as a top-15ish senior in a single matchup just isn't fair. And it isn't like Somto was garbage in that game. Miller has experience, age, and maturity on his side.

I watched Ethan Sellars, who you've certainly never heard of, absolutely steal the show in a matchup with 5* UK commit, Reed Sheppard, here in Kentucky, considering their pedigree. Sellars is going to Cedarville University, next year. One game just isn't a great barometer.

As for Somto, clearly he has to continue developing. He's not a finished product, so I can understand the hesitancy except that he is finishing up his sophomore year in high school, right now. Provided he gets good guidance and continues to work on his craft and not rely on his athleticism, I think he will be a stud. I see more of a high school version of Joel Embiid than JT Thor, but I'm admittedly projecting.
The thing I like about him is the way he tries to tear the rim down any time he's close enough. I wish Plavsic would watch his highlights.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. The thing that worries me about him isn't his offense, his athleticism and skill there is a good bit above average; it's his positioning on defense that bothers me. He seems to drift a lot, doesn't control his body position and doesn't have a natural feel as an anchor. Now, I don't know anything about HH and their basketball schemes, but that's just what sticks out to me.

As I said before, I'm not a pro scout. I've played a lot and coached a lot but am not a professional level anything. I always undersell my expectations on players and openly state that I hope to be proven wrong.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
This size comparison is why people love him. That and the fact that they play similarly. If Cyril can dunk it on you, and he usually can, he's trying to rip the backboard down like Shaq used to do. I don't see it as a negative when you see monster sized guys dunking everything. It's what they should do. I don't care if he can shoot 12-15 footers. Shaq was bad at those too.

He may top out at 7'0+ and near or over 300 pounds at this rate.Screenshot_20220517-161749_Twitter.jpg

This size comparison is why people love him. That and the fact that they play similarly. If Cyril can dunk it on you, and he usually can, he's trying to rip the backboard down like Shaq used to do. I don't see it as a negative when you see monster sized guys dunking everything. It's what they should do. I don't care if he can shoot 12-15 footers. Shaq was bad at those too.

He may top out at 7'0+ and near or over 300 pounds at this rate.View attachment 456033
Also, to be fair. I was not fully taking in to account his age when I made my above post. He has plenty of time to improve his understanding and catch his skill/IQ up to his amazing physical stats.

Cyril has joined up with Overtime Elite. Not sure how this story has gone unmentioned, at least to my knowledge, but OTE has now offered an option to allow prospects to forgo a salary to maintain their eligibility, and instead, profit off of NIL. They have added several underclassmen like Cyril, Nasir Cunningham, Jayden Williams, Kanaan Carlyle, Jahkai Howard, among others.

Also, OTE has also expanded their league to six teams, including Freddie Dilione’s Word Of God Academy team, which will feature a home and away game against OTE at home in Raleigh, and a game in Atlanta at OTE headquarters.

VN Store

Back