‘22 NJ OL Savion Herring - JUCO (Tennessee Commit)

Remember when we all we convinced this was a good get. He was supposed to help take us to the top. Boy that was a pipe dream.
Not really. He was a so so pull. Rated 90 iirc and jumping from juco to the SEC. He talked a lot of smack, but idk how many fans took that seriously. He looked and was reportedly out of shape from the get go. Kids don't tend to have great barometers, as compared to the many fans that have seen kids come and go and be eaten up im the toughest league in America. Same went for Kongbo smh.

Reactions: Orange.
Not really. He was a so so pull. Rated 90 iirc and jumping from juco to the SEC. He talked a lot of smack, but idk how many fans took that seriously. Kids don't tend to have great barometers, as compared to the many fans that have seen kids come and go and be eaten up im the toughest league in America. Same went for Kongbo smh.

Kongbo at least made it to the league as surprising as it was. Dude was probably as impressive physically as Jacquez Smith. Speaking of - are either still playing professionally?

Reactions: Devo182
It came from the recruiting sites as the staff's majority strategy. It also made perfect sense. No, there was no quote ofc. No reason to make to make it up either.
I don't think anyone just made it up. Many times these writers make educated guesses or run with something that someone close to the program says that may not be completely accurate. We tend to trust it as fact as fans until something happens to the contrary. They get a lot of info directly from recruits, but they don't have nearly as much direct access with this staff as opposed to some previous coaches. We have some posters here that at times get better and more accurate info than the guys that get paid to cover the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange.
Article from March:
North Jersey offensive lineman Savion Herring is back on the market with three years to play two. He’s on pace to graduate from Monroe College (New Rochelle, N.Y.) with an associate’s degree in May. Now, he has his eyes set on his next big challenge – earning his bachelor’s degree while showcasing his talent against stiff competition. Coaches from Penn State, Rutgers, Florida State, Arkansas, Tennessee, BYU, Boise State, Wake Forest, Kansas, UConn, Buffalo and Jackson State have expressed interest and are poised to watch Herring train in May when he graduates.

Until then, Herring will grind. The 6-6, 305-pounder rolls out of bed at 5 a.m. and does push-ups and sit-ups adjacent to his bed. He then brushes his teeth before going outside to jump rope and flip a giant tire up a hill among other activities. He returns home to eat, then do schoolwork and take a nap before heading to the gym, where he bench presses 345 pounds, squats 500 and hang cleans 295. Finally, he drives to Monroe for class before heading back to Irvington High to train more before returning home to Kearny. He also works with his dad in the family construction business.

...“I prefer tackle because I have quick feet for a big guy being that I took kickboxing when I was younger and played basketball,” Herring said. “I feel like tackle is my best position. I can move. That allows me the upper hand on my opponents.”
Big North Jersey OL Savion Herring back on the market, grinding and fielding new opportunities

I realize longer arms make bench press more difficult but sounds like he could really benefit from an SEC weight room especially with that work ethic.

Disrespected? A majority of players that come through will be depth or a body. He's a very late JUCO take whose closest competition was Kansas and Syracuse for goodness sake. Would you rather he just lie than give his genuine opinion?

It's still just an informed opinion, but I'll take genuine honesty over BS rainbows and unicorns any day. There's no use in the latter.
Agree if indeed it’s an informed decision from AP. Can’t help but wonder since this commit was a bit of an unknown if AP was also in the dark and didn’t know enough about the recruit so he just threw something out there. Personally, with the OL recruits that are giving us a close look, I don’t think the staff would make a multi year commitment to someone they didn’t feel good about. JMO

Disrespected? A majority of players that come through will be depth or a body. He's a very late JUCO take whose closest competition was Kansas and Syracuse for goodness sake. Would you rather he just lie than give his genuine opinion?

It's still just an informed opinion, but I'll take genuine honesty over BS rainbows and unicorns any day. There's no use in the latter.

The fact that very smart people like the OP think that an experienced coaching staff just said "f it," and burned a precious scholarship on a random kid for absolutely no reason will never stop being funny to me. You tell 'em, king. :cool:

AP is also contradicting himself...he's mentioned multiple times on the VQ pod that this staff won't just take a kid to have a warm body, but only if they think the kid will help the team.

He may end up being right about this kid...

It doesn't change how wrong he's been MANY times before about other things.

Reactions: T Dog and drvenner
Not a great at evaluation of OL but after watching his film,he is a good player and you can't coach 6'4" 325 !

Reactions: Alto1
Sometimes the "just a body" turns out to be a force like walk-on Jimmy Noonan, who was a short undersized nose tackle built like a fire hydrant for the '77-'80 Vols. He turned out to be something special and my (sometimes bad) memory is that he became the 1980 team captain.

“How Tough was Jimmy Noonan?”
Tackle by Jimmy Nooooooonan. Craig Puuuuuuuki with the assist

VN Store

Back