‘21 GA PF Jabari Smith (Auburn commit)

You really think CBP told Smith during the recruiting process that Auburn was going to self impose a one year post season ban and there was a chance the NCAA could add more?
Did he live under a rock? Everyone knew about the FBI scandal and ongoing investigation into Auburn, you don’t think Tennessee and Georgia used it as a negative tool recruiting against Auburn? Again, the one year ban doesn’t effect Smith, the punishment from the NCAA does, and that has yet to happen.

You appear very certain. I’d of guessed CBP would have tried to convince Smith that it was all on the assistant coach who was punished and the program was in the clear, but maybe I’m out in left field.

You appear very certain. I’d of guessed CBP would have tried to convince Smith that it was all on the assistant coach who was punished and the program was in the clear, but maybe I’m out in left field.
And if that was the case don’t you think he’s now telling Smith that this self imposed one year ban will be plenty to satisfy the NCAA and that there will be no further punishment?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I laugh at the people who thinks Pearl learned from his mistakes while he’s still doing the exact same crap he did at Tennessee.

Probably the worst cheater I’ve seen that constantly gets caught.
I feel like the lesson he learned at Tennessee is that they'll throw the book at you for relatively minor violations, so you might as well go all-out.

Bruce Pearl has not ever even been accused of cheating while at Auburn. Not sure how people continue to read their own version of facts into this story.

He hasn't. Clearly you people have just read moronic headlines from the likes of Pat Forde and Dan Wolken and not actually considered they don't know what they are talking about.

He hasn't. Clearly you people have just read moronic headlines from the likes of Pat Forde and Dan Wolken and not actually considered they don't know what they are talking about.
Well unfortunately for Auburn and LSU the head coach is responsible for any wrongdoing that occurs on his staff (Chuck Person). Whether Pearl knew it or not (LOL) he is going to be held accountable for Person's actions. It also doesn't help that he is a repeat offender who has already served a 3 year show cause after the problems at Tennessee. Add to that the fact that Auburn has kept Pearl and his staff (other than Person) when they should have been proactive like Alabama and gotten rid of Pearl and his staff. Alabama ultimately got rid of Avery Johnson and his staff and that helped when the NCAA levied those penalties last week. Auburn did not. Nor did LSU. Then there is this little matter with the PG Shariffe Cooper who apparently somehow got paid as well. Anyway the hammer is coming down on both Auburn and LSU.

It's funny that you are telling this to fans of a school where he got a 3 year show cause. As the poster above said, the head coach is ultimately responsible for his program. But with or without evidence, common sense says that BP generally knew what is going on in his program.

It's funny that you are telling this to fans of a school where he got a 3 year show cause. As the poster above said, the head coach is ultimately responsible for his program. But with or without evidence, common sense says that BP generally knew what is going on in his program.

I know for a fact that he did not know the goings on with Chuck Person. Chuck Person was literally acting against his interest in trying to make money off kick backs when current Auburn players turned pro. Meaning he was trying to get those guys to go pro so he could improve his putrid financial standing.

I agree with your overall point and understand they are coming down on Pearl.. as the new point of emphasis with the NCAA is to hold the HC responsible for any wrongdoings. Even though in this case, Pearl was CLEARLY the victim if you have any knowledge of the situation whatsoever.

The only mistake Pearl has made in his time at Auburn is hiring Chuck Person to begin with. Chuck had Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, and Sonny Smith as his references on his resume and he was an Auburn legend, but there were some red flags.

I know for a fact that he did not know the goings on with Chuck Person. Chuck Person was literally acting against his interest in trying to make money off kick backs when current Auburn players turned pro. Meaning he was trying to get those guys to go pro so he could improve his putrid financial standing.

I agree with your overall point and understand they are coming down on Pearl.. as the new point of emphasis with the NCAA is to hold the HC responsible for any wrongdoings. Even though in this case, Pearl was CLEARLY the victim if you have any knowledge of the situation whatsoever.

The only mistake Pearl has made in his time at Auburn is hiring Chuck Person to begin with. Chuck had Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, and Sonny Smith as his references on his resume and he was an Auburn legend, but there were some red flags.
I loved Bruce when he was here, and I don’t hold any grudges for what he did here. But c’mon... talk about red flags... Bruce IS a red flag.

I loved Bruce when he was here, and I don’t hold any grudges for what he did here. But c’mon... talk about red flags... Bruce IS a red flag.
I have known Bruce personally. He comes across as a used car salesman to some so I get it but he is a legitimately good dude. And his track record of cheating in college hoops pales in comparison to SO many in the profession. In fact, the only time in 25 years he has cheated for competitive advantage was when he lied about a bbq at UT. But for some reason, he wears the scarlet letter because he rubs some people the wrong way.

I have known Bruce personally. He comes across as a used car salesman to some so I get it but he is a legitimately good dude. And his track record of cheating in college hoops pales in comparison to SO many in the profession. In fact, the only time in 25 years he has cheated for competitive advantage was when he lied about a bbq at UT. But for some reason, he wears the scarlet letter because he rubs some people the wrong way.

I assure you his ex wife disagrees.

Trust me, pal. We've read this book. Keep your head in the sand, though, believing all this happened under St. Bruce's nose without any of his knowledge or direction.

"I assure you his ex wife disagrees"

:D

You got me there. He's used his faults there when talking to the team at AU though. He's made mistakes and owned them.

Trust me, pal. We've read this book. Keep your head in the sand, though, believing all this happened under St. Bruce's nose without any of his knowledge or direction.

You're proving your ignorance here. Please explain to me why Bruce would allow Person's actions when they had direct adverse affects on his basketball program by encouraging players to leave early?

In response to BTO:
I would think it’s highly likely he’s changed the narrative as you suggest and is saying anything he can think of to convince Smith and any other recruits to sign. I just wonder how many different stories Smith will hear before he rethinks his commitment. JMO

No way you believe this. There are a lot of cults that would like to sign you up.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
No way you believe this. There are a lot of cults that would like to sign you up.
I understand the average sports fan just likes to take potshots and delight in ignorance without any shade of nuance. But you, in particular, seem to be an extraordinarily average sports fan. Please refute my post with something factual.

Bruce Pearl has never, in 25 years as a head coach, even been accused of or investigated for paying a recruit or shady academics.

I understand the average sports fan just likes to take potshots and delight in ignorance without any shade of nuance. But you, in particular, seem to be an extraordinarily average sports fan. Please refute my post with something factual.

Bruce Pearl has never, in 25 years as a head coach, even been accused of or investigated for paying a recruit or shady academics.
So, you want me to refute your false narrative laced with blissful naivety with something factual? Why? To what end? You don't seem slightly open to having your mind changed, anyway. Talk about a fool's errand.

FWIW, though, Bruce Pearl has now been investigated for NCAA violations at every D1 school he has been the head coach of in those 25 years.

The reason he lied about the barbecue at Tennessee is because he had already been accused and found guilty of committing the exact same violation at Milwaukee involving a prospect and his family being invited over to Pearl's daughter's graduation.

The Aaron Craft incident is well-documented. Brief recap, though. In almost a carbon copy of the Milwaukee incident, Pearl invites Craft and family to his home for a team function, even explaining to them it is an NCAA violation. The Craft's report it to the NCAA and Pearl, carelessly unaware, asks Craft and his father to lie about it. His assistants lie to cover for him. Once he realized the NCAA already had the proof and corroboration of the Craft's, did he have a "crisis of conscience". He then commits at least one other violation between then and his firing. Upon his firing, he negotiates a nice cozy buyout for himself, and basically takes a dump on his assistants...the same ones who risked their own careers to cover for him...leaving them with virtually nothing upon their termination. All of those assistants despise Pearl to this day, and aren't afraid to tell you. What a great guy.

That brings us to Auburn. He hired Person. Person, by your own admittance, was a red flag. Person paid kids to come to Auburn. If you don't see how this benefits Pearl, even if you can somehow manage to feign it as indirect to the actual motives of Person, then I can't help you.

So, has Pearl ever been directly linked to paying players or fixing grades? No, but that's what separates the good cheaters from the bad ones; plausible deniability and a fall guy. It might be the only lesson he learned from his Tennessee days. Never be the one left holding the bag.

He's just in the "denial" stage of having Bruce Pearl be your basketball coach. He'll understand eventually. Though, some UT fans still defend him so who knows, but they seem fewer these days

VN Store

Back