‘21 GA C Ryan Mutombo

It’s Georgetown most likely. Things changed too quickly for it to not be them. And there hasn’t been much buzz by the VQ guys lately. I would assume if he was heading our way they would have been giving stringer hints.

Good luck to the kid. Sincerely. People up here in Georgetown will be thrilled, but I just hope Ewing isn’t given the boot soon and the kid regrets it.

Georgetown will be one of the worst teams in the Big East this year. Mutumbo’s first year on campus will be a potential hot seat year. Lot of pressure for that class.

Good luck to the kid. Sincerely. People up here in Georgetown will be thrilled, but I just hope Ewing isn’t given the boot soon and the kid regrets it.

Georgetown will be one of the worst teams in the Big East this year. Mutumbo’s first year on campus will be a potential hot seat year. Lot of pressure for that class.
I agree, and also Mutombo is the highest-ranking recruit they have committed for next year and he is barely top 100

Reactions: feathersax
I agree, and also Mutombo is the highest-ranking recruit they have committed for next year and he is barely top 100

It’s been a brutal stint at Georgetown for Ewing as a head coach. Not sure he has the chops, but we’ll see. He’s going to have to make the NCAA tourney Mutumbo’s first year or that’s 5 seasons without an appearance for Ewing, which is not going to cut it up here regardless of how legendary your career as a player was.

Reactions: vols 30
Because I feel like they backed off Mutombo. I'm hoping it means they are putting the full court press on Smith.
Feel?
The expert info is that Georgetown beat UT for him.
Is it possible UT backed off? Yes.

I’d like to know if there was an actual visit. If so, then it’s likely UT slow played or backed off and that made up his mind. But, until we can confirm this alleged visit I’m not going to speculate.

Weird that Tennessee would seemingly surge and have momentum, you’d think whatever those good vibes were would’ve had to of been something Ryan and his father had discussed, strange.

This tends to happen. For some reason, a prospect (or family) doesn't feel as wanted as they like and they flirt with other schools. It happened with Jeffries at Memphis..Penny didnt show him love for a while so he flirted with MSU..ultimately Penny showed him love at he committed to Memphis

As the analysts said, the pressure of attending Georgetown as a legacy was going to be a lot to overcome. I'm sure the moment Ryan started flirting with other schools Dikembe put on the clamps and told his son how he really felt. It was pretty clear from the start that Dikembe's relationship with Ewing meant any other outcome was going to be difficult. He practically promised his son to Ewing. It got to the point where Hoya basketball beat writers were saying they would shut down their blog if Mutumbo didn't commit to Georgetown.

It's fine, it's not a huge loss. He is a good player but he isn't irreplaceable.

Feel?
The expert info is that Georgetown beat UT for him.
Is it possible UT backed off? Yes.

I’d like to know if there was an actual visit. If so, then it’s likely UT slow played or backed off and that made up his mind. But, until we can confirm this alleged visit I’m not going to speculate.
Speculate? NO. Have active online conversation to keep from going hoop stir crazy? YES. Let's tip this season off already!!!

As the analysts said, the pressure of attending Georgetown as a legacy was going to be a lot to overcome. I'm sure the moment Ryan started flirting with other schools Dikembe put on the clamps and told his son how he really felt. It was pretty clear from the start that Dikembe's relationship with Ewing meant any other outcome was going to be difficult. He practically promised his son to Ewing. It got to the point where Hoya basketball beat writers were saying they would shut down their blog if Mutumbo didn't commit to Georgetown.

It's fine, it's not a huge loss. He is a good player but he isn't irreplaceable.
Yeah, since you broke the "didn't want him anyway" ice, I'll chime in, now. :)

The kid has size, which you can't teach, obviously. But other than that, I wasn't too impressed by anything else. He seemed a little heavy-footed, and was going to take a couple seasons to develop, IMO. Not that there is anything wrong with taking a kid like that, but he wasn't an instant impact player purely because his last name was Mutumbo. He's still pretty raw. I hesitated to put that out there when the tide seemed to turn. He's the kind of kid that you are fine taking at the back-end of your class. Not the kind of kid I'd want as the headliner.

Good luck to him at Georgetown. Hope that's where HE wants to be. I would personally rather have any of the other bigs we are in on, but I wouldn't have turned him away, either.

I’m curious the conversations going on with the staff about the likelihood of this year not counting towards eligibility...if that does indeed happen, and Fulk/Anosike were to return and Pons leaves, theoretically that would put the Vols 1 over the limit. Obviously still likely a guy or two heads to the league, and also TBD how the scholarship limit would be handled/changed, but I’m sure that’s something being discussed on campus.

I’m curious the conversations going on with the staff about the likelihood of this year not counting towards eligibility...if that does indeed happen, and Fulk/Anosike were to return and Pons leaves, theoretically that would put the Vols 1 over the limit. Obviously still likely a guy or two heads to the league, and also TBD how the scholarship limit would be handled/changed, but I’m sure that’s something being discussed on campus.
I'd say so, too. And I'd rather have Fulk and EJA for another season that Mutombo, If I'm being honest.

The scholarship limit is interesting because the NCAA really has to do something to scale it up. It's not the current kids' fault that COVID has wrecked things, and it isn't the incoming kids' fault. Still, you have to draw the line somewhere. I can see them expanding scholarship limits by 1 or 2 for basketball for a year or two, to make accommodations. That, and instituting the one-time transfer rule should help to level things out over time.

May be an unpopular opinion, but I wish they wouldn't make any special accommodations for eligibility in any sport. Yes, the situation sucks, but someone is going to have to pay for it, and I don't think the liability should weigh heavier for future student athletes. So by default, I think it makes more sense for the current athletes to just eat it. Jmo.

VN Store

Back