‘21 GA C Ryan Mutombo

I agree that it his game seems to have some limitations. But I still think there is a place for more traditional 7 footers especially in college. Some of it may depend on matchups and situations but a good rim protector can still impact a game. And it looks like he can hit 15 footers in addition to dunking which might be all he needs to do given the players around him.
Agree. If he has a midrange game already then that’s plenty for a true center. Also, I haven’t seen any tape, but is it true that he can’t run the floor?

While he hasn’t officially narrowed anything down and he isn’t stating exactly when he will decide, Ryan Mutombo continues to move toward a decision, and two schools are remaining in the mix from the sound of things.

Those two schools are Georgetown, where he is a legacy recruit, and Tennessee.

A few weeks ago it looked like the Hoyas were clearly out front in this recruitment with Patrick Ewing and his staff putting in a lot of work to secure his commitment, but recently it is Tennessee that has garnered the buzz.

In fact, the Volunteers could have pulled out in front here in this recruitment, though the Hoyas are still trying hard.

Now it is a matter of seeing if the Volunteers can hold on, or if the pull of Georgetown is too much and he makes that call in the end. -- Snow

Agree. If he has a midrange game already then that’s plenty for a true center. Also, I haven’t seen any tape, but is it true that he can’t run the floor?
I cant remember where I read it but one of the evaluators described his ability to run the floor as adequate or average or something along those lines.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Personally not a huge fan of his game for today’s basketball. Not the type of big you really want in today’s game with bigs having to switch and cover guards so often, which he won’t be able to do. Not a good enough shooter to space or spread the floor. Would seem to be a good zone 5 man which we’ve been played a good bit the last few seasons. However we desperately need a big for this class and Barnes has an excellent track record of developing big men
Imo I think his game translates well to the college game, and I think he can do really well in college as long as he continues to develop. However, I don’t think his game will translate well to the NBA

If he can develop a 3pt shot, which is hopeful considering he already has some midrange game. Then it would really help mitigate any deficiencies in transition.

His game reminds me of Jahlil Okafor stylistically. He’ll have a size advantage in the half court, and his footwork and understanding of angles seem pretty advanced. He’s not a zero in the high post as a mid-range shooter and passer. He’ll rebound at a high rate and can protect the rim, but has some defensive limitations. Seems to have that whole “basketball IQ” thing going on where you can trust him to make the right play.

Overall, probably a rotation big whose minutes will fluctuate based on matchups but a nightly double-double threat. Absolutely a key piece for a half-court based offense.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Why would rivals drop him 21 spots lol like 3-5 spot variation is like ok whatever, but 21spots?? Rivals hates the Vols 🤷🏻‍♂️

Personally not a huge fan of his game for today’s basketball. Not the type of big you really want in today’s game with bigs having to switch and cover guards so often, which he won’t be able to do. Not a good enough shooter to space or spread the floor. Would seem to be a good zone 5 man which we’ve been played a good bit the last few seasons. However we desperately need a big for this class and Barnes has an excellent track record of developing big men
Not so sure I disagree. He certainly isn't my favorite big man that we are recruiting. Doesn't seem incredibly athletic and is a little slow-footed. Not really an above the rim player, either, despite his size advantage.

Reactions: iVolSoHard
Not so sure I disagree. He certainly isn't my favorite big man that we are recruiting. Doesn't seem incredibly athletic and is a little slow-footed. Not really an above the rim player, either, despite his size advantage.
Hearing UT wants him to get someone else, package type thing

Thats the name but i dont think anyone right now is close to committing.
"Anyone" meaning Mutombo or Smith, I assume. Interesting given all the smoke of last week, though not entirely surprising, especially since I believed Tennessee emerged late with RM. Smith was believed to be a fall decision, but Mutombo is rumored as potentially waiting until spring, now. I do hope we land a big man in the fall, but I remain hopeful knowing several of our top targets are waiting until spring. We could potentially parlay seasonal success into recruiting, and it also gives us a better idea of who may stay and who may move on (NBA or transfer) to better know how many spots we have available.

"Anyone" meaning Mutombo or Smith, I assume. Interesting given all the smoke of last week, though not entirely surprising, especially since I believed Tennessee emerged late with RM. Smith was believed to be a fall decision, but Mutombo is rumored as potentially waiting until spring, now. I do hope we land a big man in the fall, but I remain hopeful knowing several of our top targets are waiting until spring. We could potentially parlay seasonal success into recruiting, and it also gives us a better idea of who may stay and who may move on (NBA or transfer) to better know how many spots we have available.
Mutumbo was close to committing, is now slowing it down, taking more time as Gtown has made a very serious push, with that being said UT today would still be the leader in the clubhouse though.

I understand the appeal of Georgetown because of his dad and their history. But their not really trending up anytime soon. They have started fading from the team they used to be and I dont see them getting back there.

Reactions: walkenvol
His game reminds me of Jahlil Okafor stylistically. He’ll have a size advantage in the half court, and his footwork and understanding of angles seem pretty advanced. He’s not a zero in the high post as a mid-range shooter and passer. He’ll rebound at a high rate and can protect the rim, but has some defensive limitations. Seems to have that whole “basketball IQ” thing going on where you can trust him to make the right play.

Overall, probably a rotation big whose minutes will fluctuate based on matchups but a nightly double-double threat. Absolutely a key piece for a half-court based offense.
Good post! A lot of people are grading this kid based on him being able to come in and be a double digit scorer and a few years ago I would’ve too. Now I’m seeing him as a 7 ft piece of the puzzle, who you don’t need to rely on to be a primary scoring threat. I will definitely be excited for Barnes to get his hands on a 7 ft, work in progress, with the last name Mutombo!!
GBO!!

VN Store

Back