‘21 GA C Ryan Mutombo

bleedingTNorange

Vols offered awhile back, never seemed to be a legitimate player in his recruitment as many thought he would follow his father (Dikembe) and play at Georgetown. However in the last 24-48 hours multiple analysts have predicted he ultimately lands at Tennessee.

Ryan Mutombo, 2021 Center - Rivals.com

Attachments

• 3F7F5EEE-F53A-483A-9BB1-AAD6B56E9D04.jpeg
    3F7F5EEE-F53A-483A-9BB1-AAD6B56E9D04.jpeg
    703 KB · Views: 177
How Ryan will tell the other schools he's not commiting

giphy.gif

This is a huge turn of events for our recruiting imo. If we can get Mutombo, which now out of nowhere seems likely, and seemingly do the same thing turning up the heat with Charles Bediako and snag him, that would be a hell of a class along with KC and Mashack.

Good piece on Mutombo (from April '20)...

The Lovett School (Ga.) head coach Mike Harner said Mutombo...put on about 15 to 20 pounds between his sophomore and junior seasons, a change that has taken his game to the next level. This past season, Mutombo averaged 24 points, 12 rebounds and 4.8 blocked shots per game playing for his Atlanta high school. He went into the season unranked. Earlier this year, 247Sports inserted him at No. 44 overall in its class of 2021 rankings, a major statement for a player not previously rated.

“He truly is a back-to-the basket ‘5’ who’s developing his ability to step out,” Harner told the Herald-Leader. “He’s more of an old-school post — he’s not a stretch ‘5.’ He likes to get down on the block, and he’s got really good skill around the basket. Good footwork. He does have the ability to step out and hit 15-foot, 18-foot jump shots. He’s not out to three-point range yet, but I believe that’s within his capabilities, because he has really good shooting touch and form.”

...Mutombo is young for the 2021 class — he won’t turn 17 years old until June — and he’s probably still growing. His father was listed at 7-2 and 245 pounds as a player, and Ryan could be even bigger. Harner said he has been told his star player could grow to 7-2 or 7-3, and they’re hoping to have him in the range of 250-255 pounds by the time he gets to college.

Over the past year, he has become more confident and controlled with his body, and that has led to better results on the court. “He has dedicated himself to getting stronger, more athletic,” Harner said. “He’s not getting pushed off his spot. He’s able to catch balls that aren’t perfectly thrown to him. Just the overall strength has given him more confidence. And some players — when they get confidence — can get cocky and stop working, but he’s soaked it up, ‘I’m hungry. I want more.’
https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-recruiting/article242273866.html

Last edited:
Good lord. If he actually grew to 7’2” that would be insane haha.

Also, having Dikembe in TBA for all our home games would be pretty sick.
Not saying it would be bad, but I’m all for him staying his already 6’11”-7’...he’s grown gradually which has allowed him to not look like a baby giraffe or awkward like a lot of 7 footers, that is rare to find. He’s also filled his frame out nicely and doesn’t look like Tariq Owens when he arrived in Knoxville, he has great size and in another year could be even more built.

Has Motombo visited UTs campus ?

@bleedingTNorange
Not saying it would be bad, but I’m all for him staying his already 6’11”-7’...he’s grown gradually which has allowed him to not look like a baby giraffe or awkward like a lot of 7 footers, that is rare to find. He’s also filled his frame out nicely and doesn’t look like Tariq Owens when he arrived in Knoxville, he has great size and in another year could be even more built.
Bump, bTo. Motombo been to campus ?

Totally different players but would be a nice consolation for Banchero. Good chance he sticks for at least two seasons and this would redefine the defense.

Reactions: swchandler1988
I just want to say that I never imagined a day when Tennessee would just barely whiff on a top ten forward, then change gears and (hopefully) welcome another highly ranked forward almost immediately after. If you'd told me that in 2003 I would have rolled my eyes at you. And now here Tennessee is. That's really cool. And this is really cool. I hope it comes through.

VN Store

Back