Gruden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AboveAllNations

In all seriousness, might Jon Gruden still be interested in coaching at UT? He said in 2015 that "Tennessee is a dream job for a lot of people, me included," but that the "timing wasn’t right" back in 2012.

Jon Gruden calls Tennessee dream job, says Butch Jones is 'right guy'

Well, maybe the timing's right now. John Currie should pick up the phone and gauge Gruden's interest. It would be a legendary hiring if it happened.

Reactions: 2 people
:eek:lol:

Everyone who thinks Gruden is coming should hold their breath until he's hired.

Some of y'all will be like "offer him 29 million a year and make him say no."

Last edited:
Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl

Barry Switzer was an excellent college coach in his day :)

It feels like the time has passed where Gruden would be a realistic choice, but he's still only 54 - which is shocking to me. He could coach for at least a decade and still be reasonably aged for a head coach. Currie should at least give Gruden a call.

Supposedly Gruden would have been the coach years ago had Tennessee met his demands for control over the program and salary for assistants. Of course, I've also heard that Gruden made those demands knowing full well the administration wouldn't hire him under those conditions. I have no idea how true any of that is.

In all seriousness, might Jon Gruden still be interested in coaching at UT? He said in 2015 that "Tennessee is a dream job for a lot of people, me included," but that the "timing wasn’t right" back in 2012.

Jon Gruden calls Tennessee dream job, says Butch Jones is 'right guy'

Well, maybe the timing's right now. John Currie should pick up the phone and gauge Gruden's interest. It would be a legendary hiring if it happened.

Article was written August 7th 2015. Not so much now.

Please, just, stop.

He has said he would not coach in college. He has not coached for as long as Fulmer hasn't. He has not had a coaching position in college since 1991.

Reactions: 1 person
For the love of Pete, why does everyone think that Jon Gruden would be a homerun hire?

Super Bowl winning coach? Developer of QB's (Gruden QB camp)? Great name recognition thru MNF? I don't know what these idiots are thinking. Disclaimer: I don't think we get him but it's not hard to arrive at the opinion that he would be a homerun hire.

Reactions: 1 person
Because he won a Super Bowl?

He won a Superbowl in his first year in TB with a roster that was mostly intact when he got there. His overall NFL HC record is 95-81 or .540. That's not awful for the NFL, but it is not exactly gang busters. Belichick is .673 overall and .739 in New England. Andy Reid is .608 overall, both having coached far more games than Gruden. Mike Tomlin is .644, having coached roughly the same number of games. In fact, there are 18 active HCs in the NFL with a higher career winning percentage than Gruden.

He has never ran a college program. He hasn't coached AT ALL at the collegiate level in 28 years. He's just going to walk in and start winning? There's more to it than X's and O's. He has to recruit. He has to run the program. He has to deal with the NCAA rules and regulations, etc.

I am not saying he can't be successful, but, IMO, he's at least as big of a risk as many of these "up and comers" that so many seem to be afraid Tennessee is going to hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I told my wife the other day that if Gruden ever wants to get back into coaching now is the time. I think he would prefer an NFL job though. Who knows though, sometimes crazy s*** just happens. This place would go nuclear if he took the Tennessee job.:fireworks:

Last edited:
I told my wife the other day that if Gruden ever wants to get back into coaching now is the time. I think he would prefer an NFL job though. Who knows though, sometimes crazy s*** just happens. This place would go nuclear if he took the Tennessee job.

Every NFL job except the Patriots has been open since he left Tampa Bay and he has not taken any of them.

I think it's very easy to read through the tea leaves from a few years back and the things Gruden has done publicly for Tennessee to see that he has a deep love for Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back