Is Bama UTs Biggest Rival?

I agree with the article. I DESPISE Florida and dread that game WEEKS before the season even starts. Playing Alabama is really no big deal anymore, except for bragging rights and bragging rights don't win National Championships. Beating Florida is close to winning a championship in my mind.

I agree that the Florida game has been much bigger the last decade. I think this Bama game is big for me this year. I used to respect the class and tradition of the Bama program. While there are still good Bama fans (like our own bdbaggins..who I haven't seen on here in a while) most of them are nothing but crybaby, sore loosers and trouble makers. I want to win this game to send them farther down the toilet.

Wow . . . You really started reading the board from the beginning didn't you?

The argument has to be between Florida and Bama, but I am getting to the point where I really, really, really, really, really do not like Georgia!

The argument has to be between Florida and Bama, but I am getting to the point where I really, really, really, really, really do not like Georgia!

I agree here. Growing up in GA as a Vol fan, and the recent history of the UT-GA games has grown my utter hatred for the DAWGs.

We are gonna neuter Uga this year!

Florida is/was the more important game from an SEC standpoint, no doubt, but these days that has shifted to GA...it's kind of a fluid thing....but the one that always remains is Bama. like i said before, choosing Bama as our biggest rival over FL is like chosing a Benz over BMW...not much difference, but Bama gets the edge because of history.

Bama is still the biggest rivalry, the gator game and the dawg game may be more important to reach the SECCG but a win over Bama is still sweeter than all the rest.

Definitely Bama. as previously stated, for SECCG importance UGA and UF are more important, but living in Bama country, that is the win I want most.

bama is the biggest rival in my mind, but florida is proably the most important game now. still voting bama.

Bama remains and has always been Tennessee's biggest rival.

There is a distinct difference in biggest rival and most important game. Until recently theWinner of Fla and Tenn won the SEC East.

The Bama Tennessee Rivalry is one of the greatest in the country,

most people consider Auburn/Alabama to be a bigger rivalry then UT/Alabama.

The way the league is setup now, UT/GA and UT/FL have more weight on the SEC east standings.

most people consider Auburn/Alabama to be a bigger rivalry then UT/Alabama.

The way the league is setup now, UT/GA and UT/FL have more weight on the SEC east standings.
i would argue the FL/UGA is more important that either of those games mentioned above in today's atmosphere...that could change very quickly obviously....

While FL gets my blood boiling, no doubt, UGA never has. I mean i don't like them, but i still usually expect to beat UGA....we beat them 9 straight games. they beat us 4 or 5. We got a huge upset while they were in the top 3 in Athens in 04...it's shaping up to be a good rivalry and is.....but i digress. the Florida rivalry while i hate the gators, we all HATED spurrier more. he was the one that reall got our blood boiling. Fulmer vs. Spurrier was the headline more times than it was Vols vs. Gators. And admit it...since Spurrier left Florida, that game just hasn't had the same zeal it had in the 90's. Still very heated, still means a ton to the conf. standings, we don't like them, they don't like us...all true. but i for one would have liked Fulmer to have a chance to gain some ground on Spurrier after that 2001 season. leaving when he did, even though we beat him last, he still had 4 games on him with his departure...and low and behold, it's now grown to 5. Take USC for example...there's no real rivalry there, but it's Spurrier vs. Fulmer once again...can Phil ever turn the tide, pardon the pun, on the 'ol ball coach? hope so.

that is not the case with Bama. it's crimson vs. oragne. Smokey vs the big dumb elephant. it IS TIDE vs. VOLS. there is no one figure or player that got our blood boiling. you know what gets the blood boiling for TN fans? the incessant chanting of "roll tide, roll tide, roll tide". ugh. It's bama fans holding up 4, 5, 6, 7's on cards during the streak in the 80's and early 90's. it's Jay Barker and Gene STallings smoking cigars after beating us. It's the TN football team singing "we don't give a damn about the whole state of alabama, 'cause we're from Tennessee" after we beat them. i'm sure some Bama fans would tell you that "Rocky top" has caused a few profanity laden outbursts as well. Bama just boils down to good old hatred. No need to have anything on the line. We simply don't like each other and each October, we both draw lines in the sand and say "bring it".

oh...i'm ready. go vols.:rock:

I agree that the Florida game has been much bigger the last decade. I think this Bama game is big for me this year. I used to respect the class and tradition of the Bama program. While there are still good Bama fans (like our own bdbaggins..who I haven't seen on here in a while) most of them are nothing but crybaby, sore loosers and trouble makers. I want to win this game to send them farther down the toilet.

:salute: :clap: :salute:

I would say Florida then Georgia, I think the Vols will still win the majority of the UT v Bama games in the next few seasons. I cannot say the same about the Gators and Dawgs

Here's another vote for Bama. Now, don't get me wrong. I hate Florida with a healthy passion. Ron Zook cooled that a bit. Let's be honest actually, it's not the same since the last time Spurrier slammed an orange and blue visor to the ground. I will never hate Georgia that much because no matter how many times they beat us or make the SEC title game, they will always be pretenders in my mind. Hating them is doing them a favor in adding to their credibility, so I won't do that. But the stretch up to '95 of over 10 years not getting a W over Alabama is still fresh on my mind. And until we post a streak longer than that on them, I'll still want that one the most.

I think it really depends on how old you are which one you consider to be the bigger rival. I'm not trying to call any one old but I think bama is bigger to the older people who clearly remeber the games between bama when they were consistently beating us. I remember as a little kid wearing the no 8 in a row shirts and things like that but don't clearly remember the games and smack talking like I do from the florida games. I agree that most of that was because of spurrier but no other game has meant as much to me as beating Florida since I started really paying attention to football.

Coming from a Vol who goes to school at Bama, the Tide takes the UT game to heart more than we do. Not to downplay the importance of the game, but Florida is it for me.

A thread gets dug up from three years ago, and goes 3+ pages. :lol:

I'm 26 years old so being a teen in the mid 90's made the hatred for Florida pretty severe. But, after researching Vol history and watching so many old games on TV and through the use of the internet to do research I have a new found appreciation of the Bama rivalry. But it didn't hit me until last fall when we were beat by Bama in such a sickening manner. I told dad earlier this week that after last year I hope we beat Bama - Florida and Georgia are still big games to me but beating Bama, especially after last year, will be sweet.

DD

VN Store

Back