To Protect and to Serve II

I guess I still dont understand why a life has to be ruined just because someone possesses drugs.
It's typically the rampid use/abuse that ruins lives, not the possession of it. And anyone who consistently uses and abuses illicit drugs are already well-versed in jail time for multiple other offenses that are part and parcel of the drug abuse anyway...

Spending yet another 24-72 hours (often times considerably less) in jail isn't ruining lives, a lot of time, it's just another Monday night for them.

Sad but true

Last edited:
That's not mine!
This isn't my car!
These aren't my pants!
That's so and so's, who was in my car the other day...I don't know her name...
I don't know what that is...

Sigh...

1. It's in your car.
2. It's in your possession.
3. If it's not yours, you're around it, and likely using anyway
4. Absolutely nothing illegal about a field test kit. My department won't use them anymore due to the possibility of carfentenyl/fentanyl use, so we just charge them.
5. Hire a lawyer and go through the court system.

And...

6. The cop isn't making the dude be in a car with drugs in it. So just stop with that b.s.
the test kit never gave a positive result.....it didn't turn blue......was my understanding after reading about what a clown this cop turned out to be.

I'm in my 60's and was pulled over dozens of times when I was a teen. Now that I'm an adult, the only time I was pulled over was a coordinated traffic shake down for money for exceeding the speed limit. It was a long time ago, but in today's money it was around $500.

Perhaps someday I'll have a positive interaction with the police, but other than my oldest friend who is a police officer, every single time I've had to deal with the police they were jerks.

The difference in the police academy training between when my dad and his brother went through and when my first cousin went through has been a topic of conversation in my family. My dad and uncle say they had much more training on community policing and situation defusal than my uncle's son did. My dad also said budget cuts have cut significant time off of the academy requirement.

The LEOs in my family are concerned about the new crop on the streets. For an unfortunately photogenic portion of them it's not protect and serve but Army Jr. Those few make the rest look bad.

Reactions: RockyTop85
The difference in the police academy training between when my dad and his brother went through and when my first cousin went through has been a topic of conversation in my family. My dad and uncle say they had much more training on community policing and situation defusal than my uncle's son did. My dad also said budget cuts have cut significant time off of the academy requirement.

The LEOs in my family are concerned about the new crop on the streets. For an unfortunately photogenic portion of them it's not protect and serve but Army Jr. Those few make the rest look bad.
Yep..... I've got a few cop friends that are very well thought of

I misspelled a word. Lord in heaven forgive me. Wasn't the first time, certainly won't be the last.

Last edited:
Reactions: InVOLuntary
I misspelled a word. Lord in heaven forgive me. Wasn't the first time, certainly won't be the last.

Love a confession. Especially on the record. Makes things so much easier with the DA.

Now, we just have to backtrack and find all those other words. Could wrap up a lot of open cases here.

You get one phone call.

What would have been so hard for the cops to have simply walked up to the truck and get the kids out that way, as opposed to having the toddler perp walking towards them on a city street?
Maybe because they didn't know if there was another adult in the car with a firearm?

So..."armed shoplifters"; 2-year old with her hands up; etc. Let's break it down just a bit:

- Any idiot, and yes there are a lot of them out there, that takes a child with them when they commit a crime deserves the old biblical millstone about the neck experience, IMO. I can see shoplifting to feed your kids, but that's about it. Cruelty to Children charges should be, and likely are pending. DA has to play hard ball on this one.

- Report of "Armed Suspects" automatically means high-risk stop tactics, or should. Guns out (at the ready), and the occupants are called out and detained one at a time. Personally, I think the responding officers are too close. Protocol is 3 to 5 car lengths back on a HR stop. Rarely works that way, and clearly didn't here.

- Not many agencies are trained on what to do if there's a small child discovered to be in the vehicle. Ours isn't. So what do you do? Have one of the suspects walk back to you with the child in their arms? No idea, but deserves some thought.

- Before you ask, we do have a policy for pursuits when a child is known or thought to be in the suspect vehicle. Terminate immediately. Turn around and go the other way. Only exception is if the child is a victim of a felony. There, got no choice.

- And one of those officers should have taken the initiative to walk up and grab that child the minute she popped out. Hard to break out of the "mold" they're trained to follow, but that toddler was right on the edge of traffic. Gotta roll the dice there and go get that baby. I put a note in my "mental Rolodex" to talk about this with our T.O. Some day that might be us on the 6 o'clock news. Let's get it right.

So...could they have done it better, or differently? Maybe. But from what I read / saw...and maybe I missed something...it ended as it should have. Not that the end always justifies the means, but I don't know if I could have or would have done any better under those circumstances.

Rest assured, though, I'm thinking about it now.

I'm not a big fan of being at the bottom of a pile, but for 1.25 mil I'll take that one all day long.

But...back to the whole TP&S thing. Yeah, why the felony stop? Obviously the tag didn't come back as stolen. Why not just make the stop and have the driver walk back to you? And I can clearly spot that critical moment when he turns away (as if to flee), and the pigpile officially begins. You know the deal: ring the bell...open the gate...and them dogs will be looking for a rabbit to chase. Hate to admit it, but been there, done that...way back when.

Bless his heart. If had just done what they told him, he'd still be driving around in his unstolen Chevy (?) instead of out shopping for a new Porsche. Damn the bad luck.

It was wrong; he sued; city settled; taxpayers eat the result. No one wins here.

Well, except for his attorney who'll knock a huge hole in that settlement check, and maybe the Porsche salesman.

I'm not a big fan of being at the bottom of a pile, but for 1.25 mil I'll take that one all day long.

But...back to the whole TP&S thing. Yeah, why the felony stop? Obviously the tag didn't come back as stolen. Why not just make the stop and have the driver walk back to you? And I can clearly spot that critical moment when he turns away (as if to flee), and the pigpile officially begins. You know the deal: ring the bell...open the gate...and them dogs will be looking for a rabbit to chase. Hate to admit it, but been there, done that...way back when.

Bless his heart. If had just done what they told him, he'd still be driving around in his unstolen Chevy (?) instead of out shopping for a new Porsche. Damn the bad luck.

It was wrong; he sued; city settled; taxpayers eat the result. No one wins here.

Well, except for his attorney who'll knock a huge hole in that settlement check, and maybe the Porsche salesman.
All joking aside, but even you have to understand how it is being on this side of the fence and seeing the recklessness of some in your profession. I understand that cops have a job to do just like anyone else. The main gripe is that most people that engage the public on the job usually do so under routine social or customer service type interactions that don't come remotely close to either being harmed or having their freedoms violated. So it is discouraging to think that we have other citizens that would put on a uniform and sudden feel compelled to violate another American citizen. There is a heavy burden and responsibility that comes with that professional that far too many do not appear to take seriously. I didn't say "all", just far too many.

All joking aside, but even you have to understand how it is being on this side of the fence and seeing the recklessness of some in your profession. I understand that cops have a job to do just like anyone else. The main gripe is that most people that engage the public on the job usually do so under routine social or customer service type interactions that don't come remotely close to either being harmed or having their freedoms violated. So it is discouraging to think that we have other citizens that would put on a uniform and sudden feel compelled to violate another American citizen. There is a heavy burden and responsibility that comes with that professional that far too many do not appear to take seriously. I didn't say "all", just far too many.

Eloquently stated, and agreed.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Love a confession. Especially on the record. Makes things so much easier with the DA.

Now, we just have to backtrack and find all those other words. Could wrap up a lot of open cases here.

You get one phone call.

Can I just smoke a cigarette before we go? PLEASE?!?

No biggy..... I just tought the definition that popped up was funny

It was, and it fits. But at 5am, after being up since 1030 the previous day, I'm fortunate to be able to articulate complete thoughts LOL.

Perfect. 😂

So..."armed shoplifters"; 2-year old with her hands up; etc. Let's break it down just a bit:

- Any idiot, and yes there are a lot of them out there, that takes a child with them when they commit a crime deserves the old biblical millstone about the neck experience, IMO. I can see shoplifting to feed your kids, but that's about it. Cruelty to Children charges should be, and likely are pending. DA has to play hard ball on this one.

- Report of "Armed Suspects" automatically means high-risk stop tactics, or should. Guns out (at the ready), and the occupants are called out and detained one at a time. Personally, I think the responding officers are too close. Protocol is 3 to 5 car lengths back on a HR stop. Rarely works that way, and clearly didn't here.

- Not many agencies are trained on what to do if there's a small child discovered to be in the vehicle. Ours isn't. So what do you do? Have one of the suspects walk back to you with the child in their arms? No idea, but deserves some thought.

- Before you ask, we do have a policy for pursuits when a child is known or thought to be in the suspect vehicle. Terminate immediately. Turn around and go the other way. Only exception is if the child is a victim of a felony. There, got no choice.

- And one of those officers should have taken the initiative to walk up and grab that child the minute she popped out. Hard to break out of the "mold" they're trained to follow, but that toddler was right on the edge of traffic. Gotta roll the dice there and go get that baby. I put a note in my "mental Rolodex" to talk about this with our T.O. Some day that might be us on the 6 o'clock news. Let's get it right.

So...could they have done it better, or differently? Maybe. But from what I read / saw...and maybe I missed something...it ended as it should have. Not that the end always justifies the means, but I don't know if I could have or would have done any better under those circumstances.

Rest assured, though, I'm thinking about it now.
We actually had a similar situation the other night. One of our directed patrol units attempted to stop a car that was known to have drugs and also matched the description of a vehicle in a shooting a few weeks prior. Lights em up, car slow rolls the stop then takes off.

We have a very strict pursuit policy, basically we only pursue if body parts are flying out of the car, they're shooting at us or the public, or, to a certain extent, if they're possibly drunk...

Anyway, vehicle stays in view, he remains stationary, but calls out location, direction of travel then calls out that they're wrecked out on a utility pole and there are 2-3 subjects running. I make contact with one of the runners in the backyard of one of the houses down the street, get him at gun point...

He has an 18 month in his hands. Holster up. I have my rookie pat him down for weapons, he's clean....but then he proceeds to yell and scream and lecture us about why we're chasing him... not gonna lie, I lost my sh** on him. Just couldn't handle that crap from someone who ran with a child in their hands.

Here's the thing...we couldn't determine who was driving. Vehicle was CLEAN. We detained everyone but didn't have any charges at that point.

...until 3 hours later when the vehicle was reported stolen.

So now we're going through the DA and indicting everyone in the car.

There was an incident on Live PD a few months ago where they had to fight a guy who had his child in his hands. LEO was able to get the child away safe but, that's all I kept thinking about while we were out with this POS. I'd have been happy to go hand-to-hand with this dude but not with a child in his arms. It's a situation that was completely new to everyone there, that included veteran officers with 15+ years experience.

I don't know if we have a policy on it but, I'm going to check...hope I never have to deal with that again.

Last edited:
Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back