'15 TN DE Kyle Phillips (UT commit 1/3/15)

“i’m hoping to go to a ut game this fall and some more vandy games. It’s hard for me to go out of town or whatever, but (i might visit) ole miss. I’m trying to go to as many as i can, really.”

“at first, (i was talking with) thigpen more, because he’s, like, the area recruiter down here. But i’ve been talking to strip’, pretty much, too,” phillips said. “‘we’ve got to get you down to a game in knoxville‘ — that’s mostly what they’re saying.”

“you can see them improving,” he said. “i know they didn’t play, like, big-time schools (in their first two games), but the defense forced some turnovers. I see a lot of improvement with that team. I want to see how they handle this season, but i know they’re still in rebuilding mode.”

“it’s a state school. I’d get to play for my state,” phillips said. “(there are) a lot of fans at the games. You could play (in front of) a big crowd. The facilities are great. The academic support is really good. It’s really a jump from what it was.”

Reactions: 2 people
2015 DE Kyle Phillips talks Vols

The first part of the story is about his trips to Georgia and Vanderbilt and he talks Vols at the end. FWIW, the vibe I got from him is that he's Tennessee's to lose at this point.

- Woody Wommack, Rivals (on VQ)

From his article...

"Me and my mom have to talk about it and see which games we can get to," he said. "Tennessee is a school I really want to get to before the fall is over. Clemson is on that list, too. I just want to get out and see what everyone has to offer."

The Vols remain one of the main schools in the mix for Phillips and he said he's eager to see his first game in Knoxville.

"I've never been to a game there but they're pushing for me to get out there," he said. "Their defense the first two weeks was great. I see a lot of potential they just have to get the players that they need in their to get back o the level where they're winning championships. I still like Tennessee a lot."

Reactions: 5 people
“It was good[.] I liked the atmosphere. I liked everything about it. It was a good time.”

The 6-foot-4, 245-pound Phillips said he was impressed by “how the team came out and played, (in) the second half especially,” and admitted he was a bit surprised by the “high energy” of the announced sellout crowd of 102,455.

“I didn’t expect it, because I hadn’t been to a game before, so it was real exciting to see the atmosphere,”

“They were always one of my schools that I was choosing to go to or whatever,” Phillips said. “But it’s just an extra boost seeing the game, actually, so that’s good.”

On returning to UT before the end of the season:

“I probably will,” he said. “It just depends.”

He said the he got to talk to CBJ, Thigpen, and Stripling. He said he paid a lot of attention to our overall defense, and he thought our defense played a lot better than he expected.

Reactions: 1 person
I saw him at the Vol walk and gave him a shout-out that he is needed in orange. I gave my all for Tennessee yesterday in recruiting and during the game. I saw a lot of the recruits there, except for those that were on official visits.

Reactions: 1 person
Had a great trip to the game. The fan base was great, and one of the loudest crowds he has ever heard. He can tell a big difference in this year's squad compared to last year's. The energy level has completely changed. He is taking his recruitment from a "go with the flow" angle, but thinks UT will be in his top 5 at the end of this year. Talks with Thig, Strip, amd CBJ a lot. May take another trip here for a game this year, unsure.

Scout.com: Phillips a believer in Vols' direction

so far it sounds good and like he wants to be a Vol...
sounds like he is just looking for affirmation that the ship is turning
and heading down Championship Blvd...

"It was great. I liked it a lot," Phillip said. "The fans, the atmosphere, the way the players played and how every was treated. I liked it a lot. Defense played really well.

"I think Tennessee had Georgia beat. I couldn't believe how loud it was, the fans were cheering the whole game. Everybody was supportive even when they were down in the first half."

"I talked to coach Jones, Thigpen and coach Strip. They were excited for me to come to game to see what it was like since last time I was here in the summer," Phillips said.

"I like how everybody is like family and all the coaches are personable," Phillips said. "They care about you and the program. It's not all about football. I like that part a lot."

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
Invited to the Under Armour AA game

Do you mean the underclassmen combine? Game is for seniors only last I heard. Or are they already giving out invites to the 2015 game???

Edit: thought this was for the Army AA game. Dang UA getting a head start if this is for the 2015 game.

Do you mean the underclassmen combine? Game is for seniors only last I heard. Or are they already giving out invites to the 2015 game???

Edit: thought this was for the Army AA game. Dang UA getting a head start if this is for the 2015 game.

Whoops. Combine. My bad. Misread

We need to get this kid on campus as much as possible. It would be huge to get an early commit from him so he could work on the other top prospects in TN. Kid is a player. This is the kind of battle Butch must win in order to get back to the top of the SEC.

VN Store

Back