2014 F Kevon Looney

I hate like he!! that we missed on him. But glad he is going to play for a guy like Alford. All I know about him is the way he carries himselve and the effort his teams give. But everything I have seen from his squads I like a lot.

I'll post this one time, hopefully it calms a few people down, can't deal with the loonies (haha get it).

The sky isn't falling folks, does this decision hurt, absolutely it does. However, Looney wasn't the difference in making and not making the dance next year IMO, we can field a team capable of dancing next year.

It's plausible next years lineup could be:

Thompson/Austin
Hubbs/ Cornish
Richardson/ Moore
Davis/ Cofer
Stokes/ Turman

That's a NCAA tournament quality team IMO, and a team that can definitely compete in the sec. Depending on how the freshman this year progress the outlook could look even better than that, you never know.

As for where do we turn in recruiting, I wouldn't expect the staff to rush, and I doubt they will. Right now we are full with 4 guys coming in, but you can recruit to replace stokes because it's definitely a possibility. I would expect us to evaluate some JUCO big men over the course of the next couple months, and see where we are in the spring.

I dont think u can consistently be a top 25 team without having consistent top 25 classes....I know there are a few exceptions to the rule but not many.

I think that is a fair assessment. But I am still holding out hope that at least two of our 4 commits will be upgraded to 4 stars again b4 its all said and done.

That might put us right at the 25 mark.

I'll post this one time, hopefully it calms a few people down, can't deal with the loonies (haha get it).

The sky isn't falling folks, does this decision hurt, absolutely it does. However, Looney wasn't the difference in making and not making the dance next year IMO, we can field a team capable of dancing next year.

Thompson/Austin
Hubbs/ Cornish
Richardson/ Moore
Davis/ Cofer
Stokes/ Turman

That's a NCAA tournament quality team IMO, and a team that can definitely compete in the sec. Depending on how the freshman this year progress the outlook could look even better than that, you never know.

As for where do we turn in recruiting, I wouldn't expect the staff to rush, and I doubt they will. Right now we are full with 4 guys coming in, but you can recruit to replace stokes because it's definitely a possibility. I would expect us to evaluate some JUCO big men over the course of the next couple months, and see where we are in the spring.

Q and Reese will have another year under there belt. Hopefully they can contribute provide some upper class leadership.

I dont think u can consistently be a top 25 team without having consistent top 25 classes....I know there are a few exceptions to the rule but not many.

Perhaps you should us the phrase, "I dont think its likely...". Otherwise, how do you make your first statement so absolute, and then follow it up with your second conditional statement which disproves the first?

I think that is a fair assessment. But I am still holding out hope that at least two of our 4 commits will be upgraded to 4 stars again b4 its all said and done.

That might put us right at the 25 mark.

The thing is though, you either believe in their talent, or you don't. Getting an extra star next to their name isn't going to make them a better player. Magically sneaking into a subjective top-25 list by the same manner isn't going to make our team better either. They either can play, or they can't.

Thompson/Austin
Hubbs/ Cornish
Richardson/ Moore
Davis/ Cofer
Stokes/ Turman

There are a lot of good athletic players in that group but my worry continues to be where the scoring will come from. I am going to assume that Hubbs will be a scorer based on having seen him a bunch. Every team needs three options and for the life of me I can't find the second one unless Richardson has come on like gangbusters. This is why I worried about passing over another athletic guy who could develop in a couple of years. Looney is the kind of guy who would have demanded attention from the other team and he would have been very good here. However we passed on some talent to go all in on him. I see most of our guys in 14 as being extremely promising if they were matched up with a couple of dynamite scorers.

There are a lot of good athletic players in that group but my worry continues to be where the scoring will come from. I am going to assume that Hubbs will be a scorer based on having seen him a bunch. Every team needs three options and for the life of me I can't find the second one unless Richardson has come on like gangbusters. This is why I worried about passing over another athletic guy who could develop in a couple of years. Looney is the kind of guy who would have demanded attention from the other team and he would have been very good here. However we passed on some talent to go all in on him. I see most of our guys in 14 as being extremely promising if they were matched up with a couple of dynamite scorers.

Curious, what scorer we passed over?

The thing is though, you either believe in their talent, or you don't. Getting an extra star next to their name isn't going to make them a better player. Magically sneaking into a subjective top-25 list by the same manner isn't going to make our team better either. They either can play, or they can't.

I couln't agree with you more my man. I was hoping for the extra stars for the recruiting ranking only. And the only reason I even remotely care about that is for ammunition for future recruiting.

example: I would think it would help our coachs in 2016 if we had back to back top 25 classes.

Larry Austin will be the best creator we have had in a looooong time. IMO So he should be able to facilitate to make guys scorers. And Hubbs will still be around. We'll be okay I think.

I couln't agree with you more my man. I was hoping for the extra stars for the recruiting ranking only. And the only reason I even remotely care about that is for ammunition for future recruiting.

example: I would think it would help our coachs in 2016 if we had back to back top 25 classes.

Perhaps. I think on the court production plays a much bigger role though. Having success amd making the dance trump "projected" talent IMO. One is tangible and the other is opinion.

You realize that there is an entire season to play before fans need to worry about that, right? Your going to miss the excitement of this season by bitc#ing about next season. Wait until April to do that. A LOT can change in that amount of time.

Reactions: 1 person
We still have four good players coming into the program next year. Let's not act like the sky is falling and Tennessee basketball is doomed because he didn't pick us.

Richardson has done nothing but improve, and reports are he's currently our best shooter, so no reason to think he stops improving. He will be a scorer next year, as will Hubbs and Thompson both IMO. If stokes returns which in that post I'm saying he does he's obviously a scorer too.

VN Store

Back