What's everybody's opinion on the steriods in baseball?

justingroves

13-14 in handshakes
Does anybody really care that much?

What about Bonds? Is he a scapegoat or is he receiving fair treatment?

Just some thoughts to make the MLB forum fun

I hate Bonds. Just don't know what to do about the record. Of course, thats all we will hear when it happens, but I will not be cheering but i will probably be cussing him out.

It never ceases to amaze me how differently people react to Barry Bonds vs. Shawn Merriman. I think Bonds is a complete jerk, but he's never tested positive for anything and is viewed as a complete villain. Merriman on the other hand got a suspension and a trip to the Pro Bowl.

It never ceases to amaze me how differently people react to Barry Bonds vs. Shawn Merriman. I think Bonds is a complete jerk, but he's never tested positive for anything and is viewed as a complete villain. Merriman on the other hand got a suspension and a trip to the Pro Bowl.

Did Bonds not make the previous All-Star game?

Part of the different reaction is due to what you posted. Bonds is a jerk. Most people do not know anything about Merriman.

there are steroids in baseball?

seriously though, once Bonds is proven guilty, I will bite. Until then, let him be.

I could care less about the steroids/HGH/whatever else they're using at this point. They still can't even tes for HGH! The only guys I'm close to 100% positive about not using anything are David Eckstein and Craig Counsell.

Bonds is vilified because not just because he used steroids, but because his use of steroids is going to allow him to walk off with two of baseball's most hallowed records (HR, season and (even more) HR, career). If he weren't going to hit 756, people just wouldn't care as much.

It also does not help that he has spent two decades being an ass to everybody everywhere he goes. It's left him without anybody -- the media, ex-players, teammates -- who will stand up and champion him.

Personally, what bothers me more than the steroids is the body armor he wears. The only way to get a guy like Bonds out is to pitch high and in, then low and away, so when he stands on top of the plate with that thing on his elbow a pitcher has literally nowhere to go. Pitchers should have been hitting him intentionally every time he comes up, not walking him.

I could care less about the steroids/HGH/whatever else they're using at this point. They still can't even tes for HGH! The only guys I'm close to 100% positive about not using anything are David Eckstein and Craig Counsell.

:lolabove: fair point about eckstein

Bonds = bad

i think they should go ahead and give a lifetime ban for any positive testing starting next year. it's not like they are "accidentally" taking steroids. it is their decision

IMO, it's MLB's fault for not catching anybody using steroids. I'm all for frequent testing with swift and harsh punishment for positive tests. Say, everybody on every team has to test once per series or something.

As for past offenses, and the HOF and such, it's MLB's fault for not catching those guys. For instance, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were incredibly important to the sport for their home run race to beat Maris, so I'd both vote them in the HOF without thinking twice about it. Same goes for Barry Bonds. None of them tested positive for anything.

Bonds = bad

i think they should go ahead and give a lifetime ban for any positive testing starting next year. it's not like they are "accidentally" taking steroids. it is their decision
I disagree. I think half a season for first offense, a full season for second offense and lifetime for a third.

I agree, they need to be more strict on their penalties for positive tests, but I don't know if it should be a ban for the first time someone gets caught.

Bonds admitted he tooks steroids, though unwittingly. Nobody believes that though - he knew.

However, I was outraged at first, but you know what - 32 owners knew about it, thousands of players knew it, MLBPA knew it, Bud Selig knew it, and NONE of them did anything about it. It was all based on greed. Nothing that happens from here on out in baseball, for me, is any kind of natural human accomplishment.

The NFL is going to get into deepbatcrap soon, because their steroid use is as big, or larger, than MLB's. I don't want my favorite sport to be dirty, but it is.

Absurd. If you think a pitcher that did that would not get a suspension from baseball you are lying to yourself. Does baseball not have a broad rule similar to the NFL's "detrimental to the league/conduct policy" rule? I am not arguing for or against steroids. Not even commenting on steroids in particular. Just saying that baseball can surely choose to act on the issue even if they chose not to in the past. You disagree?

I am on the record about Barry. I am a Braves fan, and for that reason alone I do not like him. But...You cannot take Barry's homeruns until you prove that every pitcher that he has hit against and every defensive player he has played against is clean as well.

I am on the record about Barry. I am a Braves fan, and for that reason alone I do not like him. But...You cannot take Barry's homeruns until you prove that every pitcher that he has hit against and every defensive player he has played against is clean as well.

I agree 100%.

...If Pete Rose got a lifetime ban for betting on the Reds to WIN. Sure, Pete bet on games, but its not as if he bet on the Reds to lose...

We don't know if he did or not. His own story has changed how many times in the past 15 years?

Old thread dig up of an interesting topic, I love it.

The reason people hold confirmed or suspected steroid use against baseball players more than other athletes is that baseball is different from most other sports. Baseball is a game that lends itself to being very easily tracked by statistics. The stats verge on being just as important as winning or losing. Bonds in particular is seen as the record holder of a particularly hallowed stat, most HRs in a season and most career HRs, who got those numbers by cheating. Nobody denies he is one of the greatest players of all time, but he accumulated those counting stats via steroids.

Stats are what you measure a baseball player's career by, not things like playoff or WS wins, and Bonds's (and many others) are distorted. Does anybody hold it against Ted Williams that he never won a WS? No, everybody remembers that year he hit over .400.

VN Store

Back