Advice on buying a car

flyfishinvol

As it currently sits, I spend $600+ a month driving my 98' f-150. I get reimbursed about half that each month, so my monthly out-of-pocket gas costs is $300. This truck also has 312,000 miles on it. I would like to get a hybrid car and average 30-40 mpg city. If I could do this, I would make money with my reimbursement and hopefully the savings would pay for the new car payment.

My question is: Is it reasonable to expect to get a hybrid car (2004-2005) for under $10,000? I'm thinking Honda civic hybrid or toyota prius.

I promise if I get a prius, I won't hold up any pilot stores or patrons for cheeseburgers.

Yes it is possible. While helping my daughter shop for a car recently, I noticed 2 Honda Civic hybrids for under $10,000. Take a look at used car sites; Autotrader.com, Cars.com, etc. to get an idea of what is available.

Why are you set on a hybrid? They cost more to maintain. I bought a 1999 Toyota camery 2 mo ago for 3k cash and it is great and it gets 32mpg. You could get a 2002-05 Honda civic for around 4-8k that will get 36+ mpg. Just a thought. Also when I open the hood of my 99 camery I don't get overwhelmed.

Reactions: jakeaaal
You can find a hybrid for under $10k, but the miles will be 150k+.

Of course, it doesn't look like miles really bother you with over 300k on your truck. Also note that hybrid drivetrains should hold up a lot better than the traditional stuff. Those miles don't even compare as a load on the engine, and electric motors have far less moving parts.

That said, other items will wear the same, and be worth getting looked at to make an informed decision on a car. Usually "deals" are just that for a reason. Good luck!

Why are you set on a hybrid? They cost more to maintain. I bought a 1999 Toyota camery 2 mo ago for 3k cash and it is great and it gets 32mpg. You could get a 2002-05 Honda civic for around 4-8k that will get 36+ mpg. Just a thought. Also when I open the hood of my 99 camery I don't get overwhelmed.
Are you just stating the cost of replacing batteries, or ???

Yea, sure! No I have bought 2 civic this year for under 8k one with 125k miles and the other with 176k. Then I got the camery for 3k. If you are not in a hurry and have cash in hand you can get great deals.

I bought an 88 accord to beat back and forth to work, and I've gotten about 34 mpg without even really trying.

I'm just not big on paying the premium for a hybrid (even if its used). Only way I'd do it is if you do about 75 percent or more city driving.

Other wise a smaller gas 4cyl will get the close to the same mileage.

Reactions: jakeaaal
I don't disagree that a small economy car might be the way to go. I just think your comment about maintenance cost is unfounded. That was the case for a while, but can be mostly attributed to the low number of the vehicles actually sold. My car is expensive to maintain too... but it isn't a hybrid, its European. Of course, I haven't had to repair it while driving almost 100k miles in it over the last 4 years.

At this point, the cost to maintain has come down to be more in line with a traditional vehicle.

http://www.newsletter.audatex.com/AudatexDirections_Feb2009.pdf

I don't disagree that a small economy car might be the way to go. I just think your comment about maintenance cost is unfounded. That was the case for a while, but can be mostly attributed to the low number of the vehicles actually sold. My car is expensive to maintain too... but it isn't a hybrid, its European. Of course, I haven't had to repair it while driving almost 100k miles in it over the last 4 years.

At this point, the cost to maintain has come down to be more in line with a traditional vehicle.

http://www.newsletter.audatex.com/AudatexDirections_Feb2009.pdf

Okay got ya, I was talking about doing the work yourself. I'm sure taking it to the dealer or mechanics you are get charged about the same. I've always been a DIY and it is a lot harder and more expensive for me to work on. I would have to spend too much time to educate myself too. Understand ur point though.

supporting hybrids supports Obama, imo.
You don't know me very well then. :p
Okay got ya, I was talking about doing the work yourself. I'm sure taking it to the dealer or mechanics you are get charged about the same. I've always been a DIY and it is a lot harder and more expensive for me to work on. I would have to spend too much time to educate myself too. Understand ur point though.
Fair point. Besides my Volvo I have an '81 Jeep CJ-7. I would certainly rather work on it than a problem with a hybrid.

That said, even working on a current gen Civic or Altima can be just as daunting a task. My Volvo has something insane like 6 control computers. That doesn't include the PC I have mounted in it. :good!:

Now I'll just wait for Windy to drop by with some snide comment about me driving a Volvo... :unsure:

Thanks for the tips. A little more information about where I'm coming from. I do A LOT of city driving. I commute about 30 mi to work one way each day, then 90% of the rest is spent within 10 of downtown. For perspective, I spend a lot of time up and down broadway, middlebrook, western ave, summit hill, gay st, james white, and hall of fame.

The reason I've been looking at hybrids is because I would love to have 30+ in city driving. When I look at a honda civic on fueleconomy.gov it reports 29 mpg city while the 2005 civic hybrid reports 37 mpg. One is 12 more mpg than I get now, and the other is 20 more mpg. I'm not against having a non hybrid car and may very well buy a traditional car, but if I can find 37 mpg for the right price and condition, I'm on it.

Tip from someone who deals with fleets daily: Hybrids are great but do not buy a used one. They are good on the front end and costly on the back end. Kind of like marriage. Also, be prepared that when you have to replace the batteries it will be about $4-6k. Its not an option either.

Thanks for the tips. A little more information about where I'm coming from. I do A LOT of city driving. I commute about 30 mi to work one way each day, then 90% of the rest is spent within 10 of downtown. For perspective, I spend a lot of time up and down broadway, middlebrook, western ave, summit hill, gay st, james white, and hall of fame.

The reason I've been looking at hybrids is because I would love to have 30+ in city driving. When I look at a honda civic on fueleconomy.gov it reports 29 mpg city while the 2005 civic hybrid reports 37 mpg. One is 12 more mpg than I get now, and the other is 20 more mpg. I'm not against having a non hybrid car and may very well buy a traditional car, but if I can find 37 mpg for the right price and condition, I'm on it.

I have an 07 Prius and would buy one again, but would be careful about a used one. If I were looking again, I would spend the 10K on a used VW diesel. Mileage is the same as my Prius and it is a good engine.

This

Hybrids are a gimmick. Go get the cars that are mentioned in the above post (or similar styles). and call it a day.

I bought an 88 accord to beat back and forth to work, and I've gotten about 34 mpg without even really trying.

I'm just not big on paying the premium for a hybrid (even if its used). Only way I'd do it is if you do about 75 percent or more city driving.

Other wise a smaller gas 4cyl will get the close to the same mileage.

Another excellent post...

The problem is the hybrid batteries... They wear out just like any other car battery (maybe last a couple years longer though) but are ridiculously expensive to replace, and it's absolutely a job you would want to turn over to a professional.

Reactions: GreveHaller
I believe I'm leaning towards a Honda civic now. Anyone else have recommendations on cars that will get roughly 30mpg city?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The used VW diesel is a pretty fair option...but those things are HIGH right now.

Fair point. Besides my Volvo I have an '81 Jeep CJ-7. I would certainly rather work on it than a problem with a hybrid.

That said, even working on a current gen Civic or Altima can be just as daunting a task. My Volvo has something insane like 6 control computers. That doesn't include the PC I have mounted in it.

That's what I love about that Accord. Its uglier than home made sin, but its so damn simple to work on. Its not a old VW or a GM 350 kinda simple...but about as simple as I could want in something like that. Damn thing drives better than a 318i I had too.

God bless goofy engineers selling cars for less than what their worth...

Ditto on the Jetta Diesel. Never owned one but I know two folks who do and they love the fact that they get ~ 45 mpg. Not sure about the reliability, though.

I've owned a bunch of Honda's and Toyota's and they have lasted forever. Traded in a Civic with 220K this year and it was getting 35 mpg.

As bad as I hate to, im fixing to trade my nissan titan in (13 mpg) for a new Kia optima (37 mpg)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back