Discrepancies in National Championships

Tennessee claims the following 6 national titles:

In 1938, Tennessee went 11-0 and won the Orange Bowl, yet did not finish as #1 in either the AP or UPI poll. They did finish #1 in several other polls, like Houlgate, Dunkel, and Billingsley. These are some of the very same "retroactive" polls that are used as ammunition to discredit Alabama's titles. TCU was also undefeated and won the AP title.

In 1940, TN went 10-1 and LOST in the Sugar Bowl. Losing in a bowl game has widely been used as a means of discrediting Alabama's claimed titles, but we see here that TN uses the same system. Tennessee's national title is based on their recognition by Dunkel and Williamson, NOT the AP or UPI. Minnesota and Stanford were also BOTH UNDEFEATED in the 1940 season.

In 1950, Tennessee went 11-1, which was the same record that Kentucky had that year, though Tennessee did beat Kentucky. They did, however, lose to a Mississippi State team with a losing record. Oklahoma also had 1 loss and was awarded BOTH the AP and UPI titles, but Tennessee claims this one anyway.

In 1951, Tennessee (10-1) won the AP title, despite the fact that Michigan State AND Maryland were both undefeated and untied. Georgia Tech and Illinois were also both undefeated, though each team had a tie. So, among the 5 teams that claim some form of a national title in 1951, Tennessee was the only team with a loss.

In 1967, Tennessee went 9-2 and lost in the Orange Bowl. USC and Oklahoma were both 10-1, and USC claimed BOTH the UPI and AP titles. In the Orange Bowl, the Volunteers faced Oklahoma and lost. So, despite finishing with 2 losses and losing to a team with a better record (remind anyone of 'Bama in 1941?), Tennessee claims a title for 1967.

The 1998 Tennessee team, though perhaps the luckiest team to ever win a BCS title (even compared to '02 Ohio State and '07 LSU), earned arguably the only completely legitimate title for the Volunteers.

Just wondering what the excuse for this will be...RTR :lolabove:

NO bama fan EVER has the right to question the titles claimed by the VOLS. If you are worried about discrepencies, clean up your own list.

NO bama fan EVER has the right to question the titles claimed by the VOLS. If you are worried about discrepencies, clean up your own list.

By the same token maybe you should clean up your list. Even at worst we finish the "new poll era" with 8 NC which is tied with ND for the most in the country...FAIL

Im just impressed you know how to copy and paste, since Bammers cant form complete sentences or see in color.

By the same token maybe you should clean up your list. Even at worst we finish the "new poll era" with 8 NC which is tied with ND for the most in the country...FAIL

don't be a dolt. I'm not on a bama board trying to stir up trouble. Go home. You aren't wanted here.

Like a stray cat fellas. If you continue to feed em', expect to see them around for a while.

Yet you still claim a title where your team finished 20th in the AP poll.

In the years previous to 1951, you basically say the winner of the AP poll is the national champion. Yet, in 1951, when UT finishes 1st in the AP poll, you find other reasons to argue why they didn't win the title.

GTFO.

Every team gets lucky to win a National Championship, including Bama this year, so you can just toss that argument out the window.

Just a food for thought post. Nothing against the Vols here but the many threads that I have seen over the "mythical" Bama NC have been through orange colored glasses just thought I would open everyones eyes as to the discrepancies into everyones NC. I am for one glad that I am a Tide fan and a fan of the greatest conference in the nation the SEC! RTR

Tennessee claims the following 6 national titles:

In 1938, Tennessee went 11-0 and won the Orange Bowl, yet did not finish as #1 in either the AP or UPI poll. They did finish #1 in several other polls, like Houlgate, Dunkel, and Billingsley. These are some of the very same "retroactive" polls that are used as ammunition to discredit Alabama's titles. TCU was also undefeated and won the AP title.

The 1998 Tennessee team, though perhaps the luckiest team to ever win a BCS title (even compared to '02 Ohio State and '07 LSU), earned arguably the only completely legitimate title for the Volunteers.

Just wondering what the excuse for this will be...RTR :lolabove:

Well, for starters, in your first paragraph the reason UT did not finish # 1 in the UPI poll is because it would not even be in existence until 12 years later Einstein (1950 - I like to make sure maroon wavers have all the math help they need). So on this one...I guess my excuse will be Bammer research.

Skipping to 1998, since a Bammer said we were lucky -and everybody knows that maroon wavers are always right - maybe I'll just call this one "The Missing Ring".

Hey Bammer...isn't it actually 14 now with "The Missing Ring"? Oh, gee...and Notre Dame STILL has more!

You like apples...I think you know the rest.

Since the NCAA does not select a national champion in football, the ones we claim are no more mythical than the 45 bama claims.

Well, for starters, in your first paragraph the reason UT did not finish # 1 in the UPI poll is because it would not even be in existence until 12 years later Einstein (1950 - I like to make sure maroon wavers have all the math help they need). So on this one...I guess my excuse will be Bammer research.

Skipping to 1998, since a Bammer said we were lucky -and everybody knows that maroon wavers are always right - maybe I'll just call this one "The Missing Ring".

Hey Bammer...isn't it actually 14 now with "The Missing Ring"? Oh, gee...and Notre Dame STILL has more!

You like apples...I think you know the rest.

Actually the first run of the AP poll was the 1934 season...nice research VILE...

The '98 Vols would have bent the latest Bama squad over and resized their cornholes. Lucky my ass.

A good team yes but only 1 first team AA. We had 6 this year so I'd be hard pressed to agree with your assesment even if I am a little biased. Not to mention a freshman AA, Butkus Award, and the Heisman trophy. FAIL...

Last edited:
Actually the first run of the AP poll was the 1934 season...nice research VILE...

Actually...the AP Poll began in 1936 so wrong again. Besides...I was talking about the UPI Sweetpea so my research is locked.

In the time it took me to type this post...Bama has won 2 more National Championships.

Just FYI...one of Bammer's NC claims is 1934 (what a surprise). I am pasting below the list of recognized (not necessarily legitimate) NC selectors for the 1934 season though most to all were compiled retroactively.

Now, can anybody find the Associated Press?

1934 National Championships

Recognized National Championships

Alabama
National Champions

Minnesota
National Champions

All National Championship Selections

Alabama
1st-N-Goal

Bill Libby

Century Football Index

Cliff Morgan

Dunkel System

Houlgate System

James Howell

Mel Smith

Poling System

Ray Bryne

Williamson System

Minnesota
1st-N-Goal

Angelo Louisa

Associated Press

Billingsley Report

Boand System

Bob Kirlin

Bob Royce

College Football Researchers Association

College Football USA

David Wilson

Dickinson System

Earl Jessen

Edward Litkenhous

Esso Gas

Frank Wood

George Trevor

Harry Frye

Helms Athletic Foundation

James Whalen

Jim Koger

Loren Maxwell

Massy Ratings

Mel Smith

National Championship Foundation

Nutshell Sports Football Ratings

Patrick Premo

Sagarin Ratings

Soren Sorensen

Toledo Cup

In the time it took you guys to compile all of the statistics that discredit UA you all could have easily gotten a collection together for a new DC...just saying

With the few glitches associated with cranking up the new servers, how come this thread couldn't have gotten lost?

A good team yes but only 1 first team AA. We had 6 this year so I'd be hard pressed to agree with your assesment even if I am a little biased. Not to mention a freshman AA, Butkus Award, and the Heisman trophy. FAIL...

Yeah, the number of All-Americans is how you should judge who will win. Great thinking.

Just a food for thought post. Nothing against the Vols here but the many threads that I have seen over the "mythical" Bama NC have been through orange colored glasses just thought I would open everyones eyes as to the discrepancies into everyones NC. I am for one glad that I am a Tide fan and a fan of the greatest conference in the nation the SEC! RTR

Bear Bryant was a long time F*@ and it was widly known that he took it in the shorts. Go Big Orange... LMAO

6 AAs on that team is utter garbage. The math generating that number is the same as that counting titles in AL and isn't taught outside the large wall around AL trying to keep the lunacy in.

VN Store

Back