Just Announced....

Hey moron, NO WHERE in Slive's new rule did it say that a coach's remarks would be graded on a sliding scale of criticality. It said if you criticized the officiating, you would be fined AND suspended... did you learn to read when you were growing up or did you have your momma read and type your post?

I think the majority of the people on this board do not think that Meyer should have any punishment for what he said, and a week ago, this wouldn't have been an issue.

However, our grand poobah Slive decided to make a point about coaches publicly saying things about the officiating in the SEC and now he's stepped in it. If he doesn't "fine AND suspend" Meyer, then his new rule means nothing.

If it was anyone besides Meyer, I'd be saying that same thing. If it was Kiffin and I was being HONEST with myself, I would be saying the same thing.

Go crawl back in your cave.

Slive did say that it would be discretionary. I think that should go to punishment. I mean, if a coach rails on the officials, or calls them names, or insults them like you sometimes see happen, then I think that merits a harsher punishment than "I think that should have been called, right there."

But, I agree with you that Meyer should have gotten something for it. A warning, a reprimand, one of those letters that Kiffin mentioned the other day. Something.

LG, I agree (and it pains me to do so with you), but that problem that Slive has is that if he just slaps Meyer on the wrist, the National Media is going to spin it as favoritism just to create controversy, if he goes all the way and fines and suspends, the National Media is going to spin it as "dictatorial SEC commish suspends NC bound coach". Either way, Slive's screwed and he put himself in this situation by trying to make himself important and going public with everything when a private memo and reprimands would've sufficed initially.

The longer this goes on, the worse it's going to get. He HAS to do something today with games being tomorrow.

Slive did say that it would be discretionary. I think that should go to punishment. I mean, if a coach rails on the officials, or calls them names, or insults them like you sometimes see happen, then I think that merits a harsher punishment than "I think that should have been called, right there."

But, I agree with you that Meyer should have gotten something for it. A warning, a reprimand, one of those letters that Kiffin mentioned the other day. Something.

Last edited:

I agree with here LG, Slive changed the rules to protect the integrity of the conference and it's officiating, by ignoring the first blip on the radar after he made the change he is reinforcing the the beliefs that the guys on top will be protected whether it is or isn't the case, that is the perception and he's adding fuel to the fire.

Closest I could come to a confirmation.

Vanderbilt at Florida: SEC czar Mike Slive gave his blessing to Urban Meyer’s one- first-half suspension of Brandon Spikes, which even Spikes disagreed with. Then he chose not to fine Meyer after public criticism of a non-personal foul call against Georgia. This came after Slive’s edict to cease and desist all criticism of officials. Question: Does Slive also blow on Meyer’s soup at night? Gators win but give me Vandy and 35.

Weekend Predictions: Falcons win and Dogs ... party? | Jeff Schultz

I agree with here LG, Slive changed the rules to protect the integrity of the conference and it's officiating, by ignoring the first blip on the radar after he made the change he is reinforcing the the beliefs that the guys on top will be protected whether it is or isn't the case, that is the perception and he's adding fuel to the fire.

At this point, if they have any clue what's good for them, all of the coaches and Slive should just stfu.

At this point, if they have any clue what's good for them, all of the coaches and Slive should just stfu.

That won't work either :) ESPN would just spin it as "SEC commish tries to sweep controversy under the rug"... Slive's in trouble and I think that is why this is taking so long, they (SEC Office) are trying to figure out the best way out of this mess and don't see a valid path forward that won't end with the SEC having egg on it's face.

This is all on Slive.

Oh sure, Kiffin, Petrino and Mullen get read the riot act and Meyer just skates away scott free....What a crock...Slive is scum

The silence from the SEC offices on Richard Arrington Jr Blvd in Birmingham continues to be deafening!

Meyer whiny? This is whining defined.

"To me,the rule is this: If a play is still going on, you can't take your helmet off.

"The play is still going. The ball is sitting there. If Luke (Stocker, UT tight end) sees the ball he can pick it up and go score a touchdown and we win the game. The guy (Cody) throws his helmet, then two of their guys go recover the ball.

"It's a 15-yard penalty and we kick again.''

"You run another play and throw an interception, or they throw another flag on us. I wasn't going to let the refs lose the game for us there. You know, a magical flag appear."

"At that point, it's nine penalties to one. They're 60th in the country.... And you go down there and it's very disappointing to have nine flags thrown against you and one against them."

It doesn't get any more whiny than that.
Not so much whining as much as taking shots.

What the real joke in the SEC is YOUR coach. Lane Kiffin will be coaching Pee Wee league football in three years. And you guys think that you will destroy the Gators next year? That is funny considering how many athletes you're losing after this year. The Gators will continue the BEATDOWN in Knoxville next year! Lane Kiffin should've been suspended for his comments that has been made in the past. Much more critical of the officiating than Meyers comments.
You couldn't beat us down this year, so why do you think you have your chance when you lose your defense and Tebow, who is basically your offense?

A $30,000 fine would be a big punishment for me, maybe not CUM lol Im glad Slive did atleast something to CUM. I wanted a suspension, but ill take a shot at his wallet anyday.

Last edited:
He makes $4,000,000 per year. A $30,000 fine is 0.75% of his annual salary.

That's the same as someone who makes $40,000/year getting hit with a $300 fine.... it sucks, but isn't the end of your life.

I was looking for a link, but couldnt find one. I was watching ESPN when it was announced.

Does this mean there's still a double standard?

Is everyone happy now?

Jury still out, have to see what the next coach gets. It's comparable to a $300 speeding ticket.

I really wish this wasn't going on and I hope Slive rescinds or changes the rule in the offseason.

Actually, to me, this is just more stupidity that results from the mess that Slive created with his power grab.

He needs to get off the coachs' backs and start smoozing with bowl committees. That's the sort of thing an SEC commissioner should do. Try to make life easier for the teams and their coaches, not harder. Become a leader and quit being a power-hungry jerk.

It's appauling that he can slap a $30K fine on anyone. What an embarrassment he is for the SEC?

Fans would rather talk about the teams and games instead of the bureaucrats and their disputes.

Please crawl back in your hole now, Mr. Slive. Everyone knows your name now... and they all know you're a jerk. Any other points you need to make?

What do you think Meyer's punishment should have been?

If Slive wouldn't have screwed the pooch and gotten off his power trip before it began the penalty would have been nothing for the remarks, as it should be.

What Slive did was try to quell a symptom of terrible officiating in some games and some very questionable calls and no calls. Instead of quietly addressing the problem he chose to address the symptom and this is the result.

What do you think Meyer's punishment should have been?

Should have been suspended as well (unfortunately) according to Slive's comments when the new rule came out.

Again, please go back and look at what I've posted. I think this whole situation s*cks and I think it was Slive trying to put Kiffin "in his place". The whole thing is idiotic and I wish that we weren't talking about this.

Slive should've handled EVERYTHING in private. The reprimands, the new rule, everything. Had he done that, he would've given himself some air cover. Because he didn't do that, I have to assume that he's got a huge ego that needs to be stroked.

From a $$ perspective, I don't know. I'm just trying to point out to everyone saying "OMG, a $30K fine", that you need to keep it in perspective.

Word is Meyer's getting a $30k slap on the wrist?

More backtracking from Slive...

This isn't about Urbie. I do agree that this rule shouldn't be there in the first place.

Take a look around, TigerDroppings, SEC Fanatics, etc., everybody outside of Florida fans think Slive has made a total ass of himself over the last couple weeks.

Should have been suspended as well (unfortunately) according to Slive's comments when the new rule came out.

Again, please go back and look at what I've posted. I think this whole situation s*cks and I think it was Slive trying to put Kiffin "in his place". The whole thing is idiotic and I wish that we weren't talking about this.

Slive should've handled EVERYTHING in private. The reprimands, the new rule, everything. Had he done that, he would've given himself some air cover. Because he didn't do that, I have to assume that he's got a huge ego that needs to be stroked.

From a $$ perspective, I don't know. I'm just trying to point out to everyone saying "OMG, a $30K fine", that you need to keep it in perspective.

The dollars aren't an issue. Meyer has $30K in his car's ash tray, and there's probably no shortage of boosters lining up to contribute towards the fine.

Based on Meyer's comments a suspension would have been completely overboard given Meyer's comments. The timing of the comments warranted some sort of punishment, but if Meyer gets suspended for what he said we may as well start making coaches sit out 3-4 games for making light of how bad SEC officials are.

As for handling these issues in private, Kiffin and the other coaches forced Slive's hand to make a public announcement. I have no problem with how he handled this situation.

VN Store

Back