Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

College landscape is changing. Conference realignment is starting to mess up the game. Teams having to travel to a different coast each week just to play a conference game is stupid. NIL bag chasing in college basketball is dang near worse than college football. There’s no way any team can keep a roster intact. Especially, since you can transfer twice now without having to sit out. Next we’re headed for kids having agents in college. Don’t blame the older coaches saying this ain’t for me.

Just heard the news about TVD. Wow. I know there was a lot of speculation (especially with the PAC-12 dissolving) but I still expected her to hang in there for a few more seasons. Wonder if she looked at the past few seasons and started thinking about the future and all that traveling. Hopefully it was nothing health-related and only to do with her not wanting the headache anymore.

One of the icons of the sport. Never held any dislike in my heart for Tara or Stanford and always respected them as solid opponents. Stanford will not be the same without her. Perhaps they will be able to replace her with a decent successor (like Ivey for McGraw), but that all remains to be seen.

Enjoy your retirement, coach!

Just heard the news about TVD. Wow. I know there was a lot of speculation (especially with the PAC-12 dissolving) but I still expected her to hang in there for a few more seasons. Wonder if she looked at the past few seasons and started thinking about the future and all that traveling. Hopefully it was nothing health-related and only to do with her not wanting the headache anymore.

One of the icons of the sport. Never held any dislike in my heart for Tara or Stanford and always respected them as solid opponents. Stanford will not be the same without her. Perhaps they will be able to replace her with a decent successor (like Ivey for McGraw), but that all remains to be seen.

I think Geno has a good recruiting cycle left in him 4

Perhaps it is just me, but I think of Stanford and TVD when I see any if your posts due to their association with Maples Pavillion :D,

Me too. But we shall see. For the past ~10 years now I've had to remind myself that he's not going to be the coach forever but I know that he could retire 10 years from now and I'd still find it shocking. 😂 He's been the HC of UConn for literally my entire life (I am 36), so I cannot even begin to imagine someone else standing in his spot.
I was on vacation when I saw the news about Pat’s diagnosis. My stomach fell to my feet but it made the previous couple of years make sense.
No matter when Geno leaves it will be disconcerting to you.

I was on vacation when I saw the news about Pat’s diagnosis. My stomach fell to my feet but it made the previous couple of years make sense.
No matter when Geno leaves it will be disconcerting to you.
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was shocked. Can't believe it's almost been a decade since she passed. She did so much for the game it seems unbelievable she couldn't be there forever.

Will be interesting to see how it goes, a bit different in that Tara is able to step down by choice rather than necessity.

I did feel for Holly a lot because I felt she was grieving a great deal when she took over. Rather than a celebration it was an obligation. Then when Pat passed she was obviously grieving all of that.
This. Yes. It had everything to do with what happened with her coaching and leadership.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Iriafen is from Southern California. If she ends up transferring it's likely to UCLA or USC. As a nationally recognized elite post player, if she moves it will be to a team that can contend for the NCAA championship.
If not us I wouldn’t mind those 2 schools since I follow them as well because of Lauren Betts and Juju Watkins.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Portal ends on May 1, players moving after that date have to sit a year, so the next two and a half weeks are going to get very interesting.
That is generally correct, but there are exceptions. If there is a coaching change or if a school withdraws an athletic scholarship, a student may enter the portal regardless of the official entry window dates. Also, once in the portal, there is no time limit for a student to move to a new school.

Students must enter the portal within the clarified timeframe. However, once players are in the portal, they can transfer at any time. It is a popular misconception that players must transfer within the transfer portal window period.
-https://collegefootballnetwork.com/how-long-is-the-transfer-portal-open/

VN Store

Back