Vols Spring Practice #10

OK. Nobody hopes you're right more than I. I just don't see it at this time. I worry about not the first unit, but the backups. The SEC beats people up, sooner or later, you have to call upon your depth. I don't think we have quality depth right now.
I think we have quality depth right now, just not experienced quality depth. Hopefully we will have games where those players can get some actual game experience and their learning curve improves.

I think our barely adequate OL will force the use of TEs more than we ever have before. And the result very positive, especially as the season wears on. Thisis the year the Heup will really show what an n offense magician he really is.

I also think opponents hearing and seeing how ga-ga we are about our 8-million dollar man, will be out to embarrass both him, the team, and our fanbase. I believe years back, we had a freshmen duo, whose names escape me. Florida railroaded us and mocked our previous bragging about those QBs. With a so-so OL, our priority will be to protect Iamaleava. I think opponents will seek to railroad Nico in the same vein. However, the Heup will most likely exploit such overzealous efforts by having Nico nickle and dime them to death, with the RBs gashing them. All after luring the DBs and LBs into chasing short yardage TE's and short running sideline routed WRs. Every now and then, reminding them ole Nic can long ball too if they get too sloppy. In short, we fans are expecting a quick strike rapid deployment squad. An air warfare. Instead, we will see a tank Battles of El Alamein. We will have the defense for that type of warfare.

Our offensive line is far better than “barely adequate”.

And even if our offensive line were bad, that wouldn’t mean we’d use our TEs more. It would mean the exact opposite

And even if our offensive line were bad, that wouldn’t mean we’d use our TEs more. It would mean the exact opposite
Youse and me's, we's hav diphent thunks. Long live free speech!

Am I the only one who thinks we may be better at SDE this season?

Bailey has a ton of snaps
West was a high level recruit who’s played well
The players speak highly of Jenkins
VQ speaks highly of Weathersby
You may be right. I know one thing, West is a damn beast. He is the size of a DT with the speed of a DE and hits like a train. Losing Baron may not be a huge loss after all.

The Vols are set for three more practices 😭over the week leading to the 2024 Orange & White spring game in 😁Neyland Stadium.

Reactions: Vol8188

Agree with this. They were pretty good last year when Cooper was healthy and have upgraded one of the tackles and added depth. So, they should be improved and have a more mobile QB to block for.

West has definitely shown some flashes. Not super worried about losing Baron.

I think so. Just a question of how much better IMO. We are deeper on the Dline than we have been since the 90s this season. Especially at tackle.

Also...imagine leaving a starting job at DE opposite the best Edge in football that will likely draw doubleteams all season?? To end up at a worse ACC school? He threw away a bunch of NFL money IMO...so dumb

Last edited:
Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
You may be right. I know one thing, West is a damn beast. He is the size of a DT with the speed of a DE and hits like a train. Losing Baron may not be a huge loss after all.
Especially when you consider that Baron chose not to be here. I don’t want players on the team who rather be somewhere else.

I hope I'm wrong, and if I am, will gladly eat burnt crow...I'm still calling Clemson...
WOOOOO, pig, soooooouey! Oops, wrong team. I'm calling Vols cause we got the better color orange, and while Dabo is an Ethiopian dish, also the name of a Japanese hip-hop singer, it also means something less desirable. Come west young man, Clemson is too far east.

Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
OK. Nobody hopes you're right more than I. I just don't see it at this time. I worry about not the first unit, but the backups. The SEC beats people up, sooner or later, you have to call upon your depth. I don't think we have quality depth right now.
Recruiting and developing high level talent on a yearly basis is the beginning of the process that ends up having some kids being known as "quality depth".

I think so. Just a question of how much better IMO. We are deeper on the Dline than we have been since the 90s this season. Especially at tackle.

Also...imagine leaving a starting job at DE opposite the best Edge in football that will likely draw doubleteams all season?? To end up at a worse SEC school? He threw away a bunch of NFL money IMO...so dumb
Baron? Didn’t end up at Ole Miss…flipped to Louisville.

Recruiting and developing high level talent on a yearly basis is the beginning of the process that ends up having some kids being known as "quality depth".
Yeah, I know.. Still worry, once you're a pop, worrying becomes part of your DNA and RNA. Sometimes, even when there is nothing to worry about.

VN Store

Back