Recruiting Football Talk VII

I worked next door to Magnolias about 23 years ago. . . Lodge Alley Inn. Love Charleston. Magnolias was essentially Lodge Alley's restaurant. Dang expensive though. . .

Ah, just had a brain cramp. . . maybe I'm thinking of "High Cotton," 😂. . . either way, I believe they were both in the same area in East Bay St.

You ever go to Tsunami's?
Really don't recall about Tsunami's. My memory is absolute crap. Only reason I remember Magnolia's is it was my wife's 30th birthday. I'd taken her to the coast for a little getaway and my SIL had recommended eating there. It didn't disappoint.

You didn't correct me. You tried to though, multiple times.

A review:

My initial post:

Your 1st reply which you stated as fact:

My response and explanation:

Your response and questioning if it's really a stat sheet.

My response with another attempt to explain.

Your response stating that you don't know and don't care

My response letting you know I believe you do care:

Your last response. Saying Edey was most likely reading a stat sheet and letting me know your extensive history with basketball and stat sheets. Finishing again with "I don't care either way".

I'm posting my initial picture again with a close up of the paper in question. Remember this was immediately following the final whistle, not in the press room. With your background in tournaments, would you have individual stat sheets printed and ready to go within 1 to 2 minutes of the conclusion of the ball game? View attachment 632728
View attachment 632729
Also remember, in Zak Edey's previous post game interview (following the TN game), he cussed, he was immature, and he called out the opposing team's coach. He was more subdued in the post game interview last night. What could have changed? Edey reading his stat sheet or a note reminding him to act more mature when you get a microphone put in your face?
They are literally printed within seconds at the media tables court side, so yes less than a minute.

Reactions: crazyguy
I agree with you, InVOL. I generally do. There are two decisions with transitions-- and getting one of them right isn't enough. Personally, I thought Holly and Kellie were both given too long, given the standards and expectations of the program. As you point out, powerhouse programs don't stay that way when they're neglected. Many people don't realize how much recruiting has fallen off. In-state players do not want to come to UT. Top talent like Rhyne Howard don't even want to talk to UT. Even legacy players look elsewhere. Kellie had strong headwinds with recruiting and NIL. I don't think keeping her long-term was the right choice, but I, like many, think UT needed to fix internal issues before blowing it all up.

Anyway, it's been fun conversing with you on here. Think I've overstayed my welcome, though. Seems like a good time to step away.
Great...now everybody is gonna blame me..😒 and I wasn't even being serious...heck, I don't give a 💩 what anybody thinks when I'm being serious..but I don't want everybody bitching at me for a nothing burger..

Last edited:
Great...now everybody is gonna blame me..😒 and I wasn't even being serious...heck, I don't give a 💩 what anybody thinks when I'm being serious..but I don't want everybody butching at me for a nothing burger..
I wouldn’t worry about it. LA comes and goes.

Besides, how could he stay away when we got this?
1712542155364.png

I think he will do what he did at Buffalo when Hurley left and hire an assistant - but an offensive-minded one (idk who that would be).

I believe that because (in no order) 1. White clearly loves big offenses. 2. White considers the input of team leadership. 3. White will consider Barnes' input. 4. Retaining a successful staff would be great for continuity, limit turmoil, and not make recruits freak out as much.

We're better set to have success Year 1 if we do this than if we clean house and hire a new staff which would likely also flip the roster. Thankfully the portal makes that easier, but not ideal.
Barnes is another illustration of how White isn’t “trigger happy” contrary to BrunhildaVol narrative. I don’t see him as White’s ideal basketball style mesh wise, but he respects how Barnes is in charge and doesn’t go backwards in between good runs. If Kellie had held like serve, she’d still be in charge imo.

I will reserve judgement on the WBB hire, but it is not a slam dunk. IMO.
What people do not understand is that nobody is a slam dunk...until they are.

I've seen so many busted "slam dunk" hires, and conversely unheralded hires that become slam dunks that I think it is pointless to gripe.

I did what I did when Heupel was hired...took some time and learned a little about her and decided she has good value...now time will tell, but I think she has "something"...if you know what I mean.

She will have a rough time implementing her style..few are going to want to work like she is going to work them, but once she gets some players that will...she will do well I think.

Really don't recall about Tsunami's. My memory is absolute crap. Only reason I remember Magnolia's is it was my wife's 30th birthday. I'd taken her to the coast for a little getaway and my SIL had recommended eating there. It didn't disappoint.
I've been to both, High Cotton and Magnolias. They're pretty similar as far as fancy level, price, type of food. That's one of my favorite areas in Charleston, open air market, rainbow row (not what most of you are thinking), the battery.

I lived in the battery, on Price's Alley. Walked to work. Such a good time.

I always thought it was so strange that you could go from $10mil homes in the Battery to government housing half a mile down the same street.

VN Store

Back